Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This board exists primarily for the use of Black Mumsnetters. Others are welcome to post but please be respectful.

Do people find pleasure in picking on black women or am I imagining it?

darmaka · 19/07/2022 20:23

About 20 years ago things were a little different. Then Brexit came and I feel Britain became quite xenophobic. Not that I had not experienced xenophobia, bias, micro-aggressions, racism before - it was just different and nowhere near as bad.
Have people just become comfortable with these behaviours? I want to use well known people as examples, Serena Williams, Meghan Markle, Naomi Osaka, Sloan Stephens, Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, Oprah, Leonna Lewis, Alex Burke to mention just a few genuinely hardworking women (black/ mixed heritage) who are also heaving involved in charity work.
I am always confused as to why there are so many negative comments whenever there's any article on these women and others in British papers and forums such as these.

What is it about a black or mixed heritage woman that rubs people the wrong way in this country? I also find that many people struggle to navigate the system, whether it's career, mortgages, business, even just simple things as parenting and school in a community where they are minorities.
Britain is meant to be welcoming - at least on paper apparently it is because it's a melting pot of different cultures. What's your experience and have you considered relocating (I have done it, then returned and will leave again).

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ted27 · 19/07/2022 20:36

I'm white but my view is that all the women you have mentioned are talented and successful, they have worked hard and made sacrifices, built careers and amassed wealth. They are strong, independent women.
There is a significant section of the population that does not like strong, independent women, let alone black women being successful in their own right and on their own terms.
Sexisn and racism combined

Please
or

Starseeking · 19/07/2022 20:55

Because in the receivers of racism and misogyny lottery, Black women are at the front of the queue. And there's a lot of people who hate those characteristics.

With the intersectionality which comes with being both, particularly if said Black woman is doing well for herself, and/or better than the antagonist, it's too much for them to handle emotionally, cue bile spilled onto every anonymous forum.

Please
or

debbrianna · 19/07/2022 22:28

The hate Alex Scott recieved was fascinating. She was the most qualified in the football field compared to the male counter parts she was up against. She went and completed sport journalism before being put up for the job. The amount of hate she got was unnecessary.

Please
or

Yodaisawally · 19/07/2022 22:46

I'm white but this popped up in active.you only need to read some of the threads on here that don't believe a woman can earn over 20kpa, never mind a black woman. It's racist, sexist and mysoginistic. The worst part is that a lot of it is aimed at women by women.

Please
or

PinotGroggio · 19/07/2022 22:59

You're not imagining it. Just look at any amount of threads on MN devoted to tearing apart Meghan Markle, Diane Abbott or Serena Williams.

Please
or

RudsyFarmer · 19/07/2022 23:15

I’d look to see who is doing the hating and draw your conclusions from there.

Please
or

user1471504747 · 20/07/2022 08:29

Even MN is terrible for it. Thread after thread about MM, blatantly racist threads in general etc. While also a lot of defence about famously racist men.

People are shockingly blind to what doesn’t affect them personally unfortunately

Please
or

Etinoxaurus · 20/07/2022 08:33

The flip side of intersectionality
😔

Please
or

Kendodd · 20/07/2022 08:38

I think you left Diane Abbott off your list.
Apparently she received more hate mail than most MPs combined.

Please
or

StrictlyAFemaleFemale · 20/07/2022 09:04

Its the combination of race and sex and knowing (accepting) your place in British society. I think theres a lot of youre welcome as long as you stay in your lane, but dont you dare deviate from these very specific paths. Dont think you can become something more - it hasnt happened for anyone in my family, why should it happen to you.

I think those feelings have always been there but people since brexit have become emboldened to express them.

Please
or

50mg · 20/07/2022 09:29

You're not imagining it. Just look at any amount of threads on MN devoted to tearing apart Meghan Markle, Diane Abbott or Serena Williams.

MN loved Kemi Badenoch.

It's true though that she couldn't have won an election. I think an Asian woman or a black man would have been a possibility, but not a black woman 😥

Please
or

darmaka · 20/07/2022 09:38

50mg · 20/07/2022 09:29

MN loved Kemi Badenoch.

It's true though that she couldn't have won an election. I think an Asian woman or a black man would have been a possibility, but not a black woman 😥

A couple of posters said they were scared of her! Which is just b*llocks - perpetuating the stereotype that black women are aggressive and should be feared. Although I agree some people like Kemi because she appeared to almost deny racism in their eyes.

Kendodd
Yes I did forget Dianne Abbott

OP's posts:
Please
or

darmaka · 20/07/2022 09:42

StrictlyAFemaleFemale · 20/07/2022 09:04

Its the combination of race and sex and knowing (accepting) your place in British society. I think theres a lot of youre welcome as long as you stay in your lane, but dont you dare deviate from these very specific paths. Dont think you can become something more - it hasnt happened for anyone in my family, why should it happen to you.

I think those feelings have always been there but people since brexit have become emboldened to express them.

I think this sums it up well. I also agree with people just feeling threatened in general. A black female cannot be better.

OP's posts:
Please
or

50mg · 20/07/2022 09:44

darmaka · 20/07/2022 09:42

I think this sums it up well. I also agree with people just feeling threatened in general. A black female cannot be better.

Don't black men hold this view also? It seems to me there are a lot of double standards re race and what's "allowed" even within the community.

Please
or

Summerhillsquare · 20/07/2022 09:45

There's also jealousy linked to racism. The women you mention are successful, capable, confident and beautiful.

Please
or

bluegardenflowers · 20/07/2022 10:09

Of your list I don't like a couple, but admire/fine with the rest. So pretty much average with any random selection of women or men. I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to be liked just because they are of a certain racial origin, but totally reasonable to say racists add the colour of the person, to their attacks.

Please
or

Designhelp · 20/07/2022 10:50

Yes this definitely exists and I experience this in my job daily. I work in a role that people traditionally expect a white middle class male to do. In fact I replaced the outgoing retired middle class white male!

I believe this is why Kemi expresses these viewpoints, basically to get ahead in politics. I think as a black woman to hold any high profile role it is almost expected of you. I also think there is an element of jealousy too.

Please
or

PinoGroggio · 20/07/2022 14:45

Kendodd · 20/07/2022 08:38

I think you left Diane Abbott off your list.
Apparently she received more hate mail than most MPs combined.

One comment that'll always stick in my mind is something I saw on Mumsnet shortly after Corbyn was elected as Labour leader.

A poster said Diane Abbott was "strutting around like the typist who has been sleeping with the boss", which is incredibly offensive to the first Black woman to become an MP who also happens to be a Cambridge graduate and won the Parliamentary Speech of the Year award in 2008 for her speech on civil liberties.

Please
or

rnsaslkih · 20/07/2022 16:04

There is a thread on this board about Kemi and she was ripped to pieces by the posters.

Please
or

fromsurrey · 20/07/2022 16:10

"You're not imagining it. Just look at any amount of threads on MN devoted to tearing apart Meghan Markle, Diane Abbott"

If you do not understand why people have no respect for this racist who said that the only thing wrong with Britain was the white people in it........................

The woman who said that the police were lying when they said it was black gang members who shot Sasha Johnson.............

Who did not have the decency to thank the police when they saved her from being stabbed by her own son...............

Personally I have no respect at all for Abbott but it is nothing to do with her colour

Please
or

dogmandu · 20/07/2022 16:23

Are we still allowed to dislike women (black or white) because of their character not their sex? I don't like MM or DA at all. At the same time I do like SW and Kemi Badenoch. There are plenty of white women I don't like as well.

Please
or

bbgx · 20/07/2022 16:30

Are we still allowed to dislike women (black or white) because of their character not their sex?

And why do those who dislike have to say it at every opportunity, and follow the people they hate? The """dislike"""" is completely disproportionate. Do murderers even get the same """dislike""" as those who follow Meghan around?

And just because you aren't racist doesn't mean the other millions of anti-megs aren't. Why do people like you insist on existing racism doesn't exist and nobody has any prejudices towards her? Even if 10% of those who hate her are racist, that still translates to a few vocal millions.

Please
or

dogmandu · 20/07/2022 17:34

bbgx · 20/07/2022 16:30

Are we still allowed to dislike women (black or white) because of their character not their sex?

And why do those who dislike have to say it at every opportunity, and follow the people they hate? The """dislike"""" is completely disproportionate. Do murderers even get the same """dislike""" as those who follow Meghan around?

And just because you aren't racist doesn't mean the other millions of anti-megs aren't. Why do people like you insist on existing racism doesn't exist and nobody has any prejudices towards her? Even if 10% of those who hate her are racist, that still translates to a few vocal millions.

Well I haven't followed anybody - just like looking at the news and politics in general. I'm not a fan of murderers either.

I'm sure there are racists that don't like Meghan because of her race but I'm equally sure there are many others (in fact the majority) don't like her because of her character and her belief that she can just come and change the whole royal family just because she's a celebrity in U.S. lncidentaly I don't like the way the royal family go on either.
Also I have NOT said racists don't exist. Please don't put words into my mouth that you would have liked me to have said.

Please
or

bbgx · 20/07/2022 18:08

Well I haven't followed anybody - just like looking at the news and politics in general. I'm not a fan of murderers either.

Good, then I wasn't talking about you, as already stated. You just repeated what I've already said. Those who are obsessed don't do it out of dislike, they do it for some other mysterious reason. Vocal racists exist, they are the types leaving daily Mail hate comments.

Please
or

PinkFrogss · 20/07/2022 18:14

Not in the spirit

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?