Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Peppa Pig - Bad influence on children?

PippaParry · 19/09/2011 11:50

I am a stay at home mum to my 2 year old son, Dexter (Dex). He has loved Peppa Pig since I can remember and for his Christmas last year he received all the Peppa Pig toys available from ourselves (me & my partner) & out families.

He especially loves George, I am guessing he detects they are of similar age & relates to his love for Dinosaurs, Rockets & Trains. As apposed to Peppa who likes things like teddies, fairies etc. Up until recently we never had Sky so his only opportunities to watch Peppa Pig was through DVDs we had bought him and 2 (5 minute) episodes in the morning which we would often miss anyway. The episodes on the 3 DVDs we have seemed fine, there was nothing I noticed that would influence Dex into behaving badly or repeating words or actions I didn't approve of.

We have had sky for a short while now and I have Peppa Pig on series record so we have 100+ episodes readily available, he has (quickly) learned that Peppa Pig can be played at any time and also knows that the advertisements can be skipped by fast forwarding. This has resulted in him wanting Peppa on most of the time, the majority of that time I tell him it's not "TV" time yet and he will have to wait (I don't want him glued to the TV at the age of two so we play with his toys whilst learning, singing, reading, watching videos on youtube that helps him count past 10 etc) as I don't want him watching TV all day.

Peppa has been on quite a lot non the less and I am constantly seeing new episodes I haven't seen before. The more I see the more alarmed I am at the choice of behavior put into this "cartoon".

Firstly, George Pig (who my son loves and in a way, looks up to) does nothing but cry, he cries over silly things and this is always welcomed by Mummy & Daddy Pig. I do not want my son thinking it is acceptable to cry for something he wants and that adults retaliate by giving them the item they are crying for. Luckily, he hasn't seemed to pick up on this and knows that he ASKS for something and if he isn't allowed, he isn't allowed - crying will not change that.

George also says "YUCK" at vegetables and only wants to eat chocolate cake. He ends up eating the veg when they are manipulated to make a dinosaur shape. Again, my son is really good with his veg but a day after watching that episode wouldn't eat his Cucumber & Tomatoes. I didn't want to cut them up to make them into a Dinosaur just so he would eat them as I know he loves his veg.

Peppa is very, very cheeky & bratty. The adults never seem to have much of a say in the house. They both (P & G) blow raspberries in temper. There is an episode where it's a talent contest in school & Peppa grits her teeth and shouts at her friend, again - not something I want being picked up by my toddler. Dex is a lone child so this isn't a big worry for me but Peppa is nasty to her little brother and constantly reminds everyone of how he can't do things because he's only little.

There was an episode where they were baking Daddy Pig a cake for his birthday, they stir the mixture and George starts being very rough and flicking the mixture everywhere, not something I took notice of until we baked some cakes ourselves and Rex purposely started flicking the mixture on the cupboards etc. Before he watched that episode he had always mixed nicely, of course getting messy but not on purpose.

They go into Daddy Pigs work and basically cause havoc which is widely accepted by all, they hammer the buttons on the computer and print lots of paper out and everyone just laughs.

My biggest worry is the abuse given to Daddy pig about his weight. Peppa is constantly making rude remarks about "Daddys big fat belly". He wasn't allowed in her tree house because he was too fat. When these remarks are made, mummy pig also laughs. Myself or my partner are slim but I dread Dex calling somebody fat or the like.

I almost fell off my chair a year ago when I heard a friend had stopped her child from watching Peppa Pig as this show was the only one I sort of trusted my son to watch as it seemed cute, family orientated, morally good!

My dillemia is, my son totally loves Peppa Pig (& nothing else really) so it would be very harsh to not allow him to watch it. I haven't got the time to review all the episodes before he watches them. I do however sometimes mute the TV when I know a bad bit is coming up, specifically the ones about Daddy being fat. I'm going to look like a right snotty nosed mare but I've put 100% into bringing my son up the right way and demonstrating good morals for that to be thrown away by a silly childrens program.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OhWhatAPalaver · 13/11/2017 10:56

Christ.... didn't realise how old this thread is.... oh well. Had a good laugh though 😄

Please
or

OhWhatAPalaver · 13/11/2017 10:49

I notice that this thread has gone a bit wayward but just wanted let the op know that I stopped my eldest watching peppa as her behaviour became appalling after watching it for a while. The thing that pissed me off the most was that George basically just says no to everything, which she copied as she obviously saw it as acceptable. After a while of not watching it her behaviour improved again but it did cause problems for some time while I had to remind her what good behaviour was. Plus it's shit anyway , postman pat is much better 😄

Please
or

AbbyGabby321 · 10/11/2017 12:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

AbbyGabby321 · 10/11/2017 12:52

Please
or

Ilovetea13 · 17/04/2017 15:10

Aw I love Peppa pig, my daughters watched it for a few years n i think I know every episode word for word lol! Funnily enough my little girl was being a bit of a pain with her food n saying yuck to everything n my mum who watches her while I work said "it's cus of George when he says yuck to the vegetables" lol could of been ill never know! My little girl can't walk past a muddy puddle without jumping in it n dragging me in it with her so for that thank you peppa pig, I think I enjoy muddy puddles more then her lol

Please
or

MonkeyBrainsInPickle · 16/04/2017 19:48

I didn't read the whole OP as I got too bored. The programme just reflects normal toddler behaviour. I've probably seen all the episodes several times and nothing has concerned me. Lighten up a bit!

Please
or

willstar2401 · 16/04/2017 19:15

I see your point but young children are impressionable and behaviour seen by their favourite characters can influence their behaviour.

Please
or

scarletwhite · 15/12/2015 21:06

Please
or

PeekinChildHate · 24/12/2013 23:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Please
or

PeekinChildHate · 24/12/2013 23:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Please
or

Caiters11 · 20/09/2013 08:47

I am aware that this is over a year old but I was looking up the topic since my daughter has started watching peppa and I was interested in other parents options. However I was more than shocked at how everyone on here talks to each other...it's borderline bullying. It really isn't pleasant reading. W

Please
or

katiecoocoo · 05/02/2012 11:27

MRSHB, come off it love, don't judge us for trying to gently steer the poor lady into our little secret that its actually up to us to raise our kids decently and that cartoons don't matter in that area..there are some people out there who seriously have no idea about this and need advice for the sake of their kids..Its not cos we're stupid that we've given her serious advice, its just that we're not deluded enough to think that there aren't unfortunate people out there who genuinely don't know and aren't quite as switched on as the people who will jump all over them in judgement and sneer oh so snottily at their lack of knowlegde. :)

Please
or

katiecoocoo · 05/02/2012 11:16

I see what you're saying love but there are so many things that surround our kids day to day which could easily influence them in a way we don't like..its our responsibility as parents to over ride all of that as best we can..don't stop him from watching it as he needs to learn the difference between whats acceptable and what isn't. oops I've just noticed this thread is really old and u probably won't see it anyway, but my advice is here anyway..LMAO

Please
or

Marziepan6969 · 21/01/2012 01:58

You need a week at Centre Parks!!

Please
or

redheidi · 12/01/2012 11:31

Is this a joke peppa pig causing kids bad behaviour,you really need to get a life kids dont learn bad behaviour from programmes,they learn it from bad parenting be a better mum and enjoy your child and rolling and jumping in the mud what do you think of tom and jerry and the coyote cartoons and kids have been watching them for 50 years you sad person

Please
or

fanjolamps · 12/01/2012 10:10

Honme is home!

Please
or

fanjolamps · 12/01/2012 10:10

Well personally I was outraged when peppa and george broke mummy pigs computer which meant she couldn't work from honme, it was most upsetting! And poor DD of honey! Looks sore.

Please
or

Oblomov · 12/01/2012 09:47

Agreed. Your 2 year old can ffwd through the adverts ? ds1(8) and ds2(3) are not allowed to touch our sky remote. they had been having the odd touch, here and there, despite being told not to, and it got broken. queue a new one, tres expensive. so strict rules now, only mummy and daddy touch the remote.
But your so busy doing your perfect parenting,that your 2 year old ds has managed to ffwd through 100 episodes of PP? Hmm

Please
or

Oblomov · 12/01/2012 09:44

What a fab thread. oh how we have laffed. Actually the jolliness of PP gets right on my nerves. No one ever shouts or tells P & G off. Not like my house then. Daddy lost the blueprint for his important work(having just sent it off as an aeroplane, himself, that landed on his works desk- I mean the man is a twot, isn't he?), and yet everyone laughs. Gets right on my tits, the general lack of misery. Unlike my own life. Grin
Ha ha.
What a great thread OP. YOu have made my day.

Please
or
Please
or

diziet192 · 10/01/2012 01:18

This is troll nonsense.

No parent would be so naive and yet so clearly in control of all her faculties.

Back to your cave, troll. Try harder next time.

Please
or
Please
or

tbear12 · 09/01/2012 18:23

Hi, you say you have put 100% into bringing your child up properly yet he knows how to work sky and fast forward which implys he has spent a lot of time doing this.
Peppa pig is a cartoon, I think it is silly to ban it you might as well ban tv all together.
Be firm with your son tell him it is tv time at a certain time and stick to it. If he copies the cartoon tell him off.
At the end of the day he will start nursery and pick up bad habits, start school and pick up bad habits you cant control everything he see's and the best action would be to keep firm with your rules.

Please
or

FantasticVoyage · 09/01/2012 15:05

I can't help thinking that a certain newspaper known for supporting Nazis had one of its lazy journos plant this ludicrous topic in order to create a story for its website.

That way, it can drive up its own site traffic with lots of kneejerk 'Ban This Sick Filth Now' comments from its collaborators.

Please
or

StrandedBear · 09/01/2012 11:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.