Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Thoughts on baby name

J3110 · 05/08/2022 13:37

I have a 4 day old baby, we love the name Nellie and will have Grace as a middle name, all our other children have two middle names and the surname is Nevitt.. Does having the same letter first and surname sound silly ? I'm not sure if Nellie Nevitt is too much? Her other middle name will be after a family member which will either be Amelia, Lillian and Ivy. We can't decide as of yet.

OP's posts:
Please
or

yonce · 05/08/2022 13:40

I like the sound of all of your other middle names more than Nellie! I think Nellie Nevitt sounds a bit like a character from a book 😬 Amelia Grace Nellie Nevitt sounds better to me 😊

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 05/08/2022 13:41

It's the repeating Ne(h) sound that makes it sound a bit comical I think.

Lillian Nevitt would be lovely.

Please
or

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies · 05/08/2022 13:42

Could you use Eleanor, with Nellie as a nickname?

Please
or

Skelligsfeathers · 05/08/2022 13:44

Nellue Nevitt is awful. Really awful.
Nellue is terrible on it's own but pair it with nevitt and it is,a shocker.
Grace, amelia or lilian all 100% better

Please
or

FineandDandie · 05/08/2022 13:46

She'll get called smelly Nellie at school...😬

Please
or

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 05/08/2022 13:50

Oh I love it Nellie Grace Nevitt sounds fab. I went to school with a (not her actual name but the lines of Georgina Georgeson) she had no problems

Please
or

Brented · 05/08/2022 13:54

I agree with others, Nellie Nevitt sounds the idiotic side kick in a children’s book. All of the other names sound better. Also, I know you can’t help nicknames, but ‘smelly the elephant’ was an unfortunate nickname of an Elenor/Nelly I went to school with.

Please
or

DisforDarkChocolate · 05/08/2022 13:59

I am of the age which will immediately start singing about an elephant.

However, I like Nell and think Nell goes very well with your surname but that Nellie doesn't. I have an alliterative name and love it, makes me smile.

Please
or

J3110 · 05/08/2022 14:07

We already have an Emelia Grace in the family so can't use that x

OP's posts:
Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 05/08/2022 14:10

I like alliterative names. Nellie Newman would be fine. But Nellie Nevitt sounds silly.

Please
or

J3110 · 05/08/2022 14:11

Nellie the elephant is very old fashioned I Really don't think many children of this generation would know this song lol. There's so many names that can be linked to a sing for example Alice who the fuck is Alice, hey there delilah, polly put the kettle on etc.. I don't like any other name for a first name however my partner loves the Name Harper Wren Ivy Nevitt which I don't hate but it's my last baby and have put off calling my other girls Nellie due to people's opinions and didn't want to do that again this time x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Violettaa · 05/08/2022 14:16

I'm sorry, Nellie Nevitt is really not good. This is an occasion where it's not really about people's opinion on an individual name, it's about whether a name is verging on unkind.

Elenor or Fenella, so that you can call her Nellie privately but she doesn't have to live with it outside the house?

The alliteration is fine - Nancy Nevitt would be cool, and give a similar retro vibe?

Please
or

J3110 · 05/08/2022 14:17

Sorry but Fenella is a bloody awful name 🤣 personally there's no comparing Fenella to Nellie 😬

OP's posts:
Please
or

Violettaa · 05/08/2022 14:18

I don't particularly like Fenella either! Just trying to give options....

Please
or

J3110 · 05/08/2022 14:21

Ohh okay. Yeah that's awful 😖 I personally think Nellie is a sweet name and she suits the name but just thought it's too much with Nevitt

OP's posts:
Please
or

J3110 · 05/08/2022 14:24

Also Nancy is cute but I just don't think I like it enough. My other children are Evie Sophia and Maddison Rose. The only names we had this time were Nellie and Harper. My partner loves Wren but I don't like it for a first name. Couldn't use Ivy for first name when we already have an Evie. We have friends both with an Emilia and Grace which is why Amelia or Grace will be a middle name rather than first and I don't think I love Lillian much for first name either x

OP's posts:
Please
or

RightMessUp · 05/08/2022 14:47

What about Anneliese or Penelope with Nell as a nn

Please
or

MakeadealwithGod · 05/08/2022 14:49

Yes it’s too much with your surname. I don’t mind Nell but Nellie is really bad.

Please
or

Jun345 · 05/08/2022 15:19

It seems like you really like Nellie, but what about Nell Nevitt? That sounds way nicer in my opinion than Nellie Nevitt 🥴

Nell is a beautiful name that really flexes for a baby - child - adult!

Please
or

LilacSky95 · 05/08/2022 15:30

I love Nellie, and I think Nellie Nevitt has a lovely ring to it! You are never going to please everyone anyway, so you may as well use it OP 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Mymoneydontjigglejiggle · 05/08/2022 15:36

OP, honestly - you love the name, it's not offensive or inappropriate so go for it! Nellie Nevitt sounds fine. As a teacher I can assure you there are absolutely tons of alliterative names out there, not to mention the absolute loons who name their children the same as their surname (I have personally taught a Thomas Thomas and Harrison Harrison - go figure!). If you did want a longer name on the BC, I like the suggestion of Eleanor from a pp. I totally get you with the last chance to name - my 3rd and last DC has a name I've loved since childhood but unfortunately is now more widely known as a cartoon character which put me off for Ds1 and ds2. I just went for it after a chat with DH once dc3 arrived and a few people have commented but it's been nowhere near as bad as I thought and I'm glad I went for it.

Please
or

ChristmasJumpers · 05/08/2022 15:38

I actually like it but also love Penelope and would use Nellie day to day for Penelope

Please
or

Sunnydayz · 05/08/2022 15:39

My friend named her little girl Penelope and we call her Nellie.

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 05/08/2022 15:40

Eleanor for the birth certificate so she can have a proper name when older and Nellie for the nickname.

Grace and Amelia are much nicer though. I'd go with them

Please
or

Sandysandwich · 05/08/2022 15:45

I like Eleanor or Nell and both are good with your surname and can use Nellie
But I think Nellie Nevitt does sound silly as an actual name
My kids still sing Nelly the Elephant in nursery so I don't think its that out of date.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.