Higher chance of Downs blood test
LiveInAHidingPlace · 11/08/2019 10:09
I had the combined blood test last week, got the results yesterday and it came back as higher chance (not been told exact odds yet.)
I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and I guess I will then get the amnio. I'm in a terrible state, crying, couldn't sleep, googling everything.
To make things worse, I'm not in the UK, we live in my husband's home country in Asia. The hospital speak good English and are good generally but of course there are cultural differences and occasional miscommunications.
I'm 36, first baby and 16 weeks.
I know many here have been through the same. It's so scary waiting.
MajorFaffington · 22/08/2019 16:01
Great news. Thank you for updating and all the best with the rest of your pregnancy.
LiveInAHidingPlace · 22/08/2019 06:56
Everything is fine!
Just got the results and no problems at all.
I could cry.
LiveInAHidingPlace · 12/08/2019 03:51
So just came back from the doctors and she said straight away DO NOT WORRY.
The odds are a little high (1 in 130) BUT she said that the brain size was fine, NT test fine, head size is fine (all of those actually more than fine), heart is fine and that it would be incredibly unlikely that a baby with Downs would not have any issues with those kinds of things.
She said that she could do the NIPT test (Harmony) but that I didn't even need to do it if I didn't want to because she didn't believe it was necessary at all in my case. She also said I could do the amnio but that again, she didn't believe it was necessary. She said to just take my time, think about what I want and not to panic.
She even did an extra scan for free just so I could have more peace of mind. She said everything is progressing perfectly, everything is the right size and where it should be.
I decided just to do the NIPT test and see what happens after that. I will get the results in 10 to 14 days (they can't test in our country so it takes some time.)
I cried a lot and she held my hand and that made me feel much better.
I really wish that I'd just done the NIPT test first off and not had this weekend of mad googling and panicking.
Again, thank for the support and I'll be back in two weeks, hopefully with some positive news.
LiveInAHidingPlace · 11/08/2019 14:05
Thank you for the support. We will see what the doctor says tomorrow.
I'm just holding on to the fact that all the scans have been fine (we've had five already, they do loads here) and NT was totally fine.
Notthebradybunch · 11/08/2019 10:36
I had this with our youngest, tests came back with slightly higher risk, went for a scan and consultation and was assured all was fine and so she was! But it was really stressful and worrying before the scan and consultation, hope it all works out for you whatever happens
BadassBusty · 11/08/2019 10:20
We went through this almost 3 years ago now (I can't believe it's actually been that long as that time just went so slow). We had ours all very quickly, I would recommend the Harmony test though. It's non invasive unlike the CVS (which is what I had) and the Amnio although takes longer to get the results. I'm actually very sceptical of the 'risks' from the bloods and scan now as my baby was fine and we risked miscarriage to find that out. We had ours at Kings in London too which is a research centre. She had an increased chance of T21, T13 and T18, T13 & T18 were life limiting (Edwards & Patau's).
We didn't get enough info on the Harmony test, they mentioned it but I had no idea what it was and they said do the CVS first thing the next day and then we could decide.
If we have another baby I will do the Harmoney test and pay privately for it.
The antenatal board on here was amazing, everyone was so supportive.
Just take a breath, talk to someone outside of you and your husband, this helped me so much.
I wish you the very best and I hope for a happy outcome for you.
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.