Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Drag Queen at a Primary School Thread 2

Lennyllama · 24/02/2022 19:16

Following on from my previous thread.

Link to first thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4489168-Drag-Queen-at-a-Primary-School

OP's posts:
Please
or

QueenAnnesHat · 01/03/2022 20:02

https://www.hollymount.org/Policies/HollymountSchoollComplaintsProceduree2019_DRAFT.pdf

Here's a link to the school's Complaints Policy, which they must follow to the letter.

Please
or

SewingWarriorQueen76 · 01/03/2022 14:10

There is also a Safeguarding Governor and policies should have been ratified by the Governors.

Please
or

2022HereWeCome · 01/03/2022 11:39

I think it is time to escalate to the Council's complaints and write to your local Councillor. We had an issue in primary school with visitors and while lots of us complained to the head nothing really was done just vague platitudes. The parents who went straight to the Council were offered meetings, invited to sit on future groups about diversity, and were taken very very seriously. So I know what to do now, ask the school for a response, if it is ineffectual immediately escalate.

Please
or

Blogblogblogblog · 01/03/2022 11:25

They cant ignore a formal complaint. Make sure the school know your complaint is formal and that you are aware of the complaints procedure.

Please
or

achillesshield · 01/03/2022 11:17

Make a formal complaint to the Chair of Governors, copied to Council. They will have a formal complaint procedure which they have to follow. Ask for a copy of this.

Please
or

PlainJane365 · 01/03/2022 11:09

@Lennyllama did they ignore your complaint? That's terrible if they did.

I thought that all schools need to address complaints from parents and offer a discussion with the headteacher. I'd go in and ask to see the headteacher with a hard copy of my complaint if I were you. That and/or resend to all school email addresses available on the school website!

Please
or

maeveiscurious · 01/03/2022 09:36

@Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g

A spokesman for Merton Council, on behalf of the school and Dolly Trolley, said: 'Hollymount School held a themed week to underline its commitment to diversity. Neither the school nor the governors are aware of any formal complaints.'

Really? I think they may find there are a few follow up calls, letters and emails next week now clearly marked 'THIS IS A FORMAL COMPLAINT, IN CASE YOU WERE IN ANY DOUBT, AND I WANT AN ANSWER'.

I think you need to move away from the Drag complaint as if a Mrs Doubtfire had appeared I think nobody would have objected.

I think make/female/whatever sexualised performance with poor boundaries would be a much stronger complaint and by the look of the event this would be spot on,
Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 01/03/2022 09:27

When I was a governor years ago anybody could make a formal complaint to the governing body and it had to be investigated with a meeting offered to the complainant to discuss with Chair and Head (I think). Just saying 'and the governors agree with me' wouldn't cut it. At a minimum I would be asking the parent governors to get this put on the agenda for discussion at the next full governing body meeting.

Please
or

Lennyllama · 01/03/2022 09:16

The school sent out a letter to address the media coverage. They are standing by their decision to bring the DQ in. They said they understand and appreciate that some parents have expressed ‘surprise’. They said that they will be reviewing their communications policy in light of parents feedback. That’s it. The LA and governors support the school. It’s gone as far as it can go. It’s quite frightening that parents really don’t have a say, they can clearly do what they want with our kids and we just have to deal with it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RegardingMary · 01/03/2022 08:36

Has there been an update yet OP.

Please
or

Mrstwiddle · 27/02/2022 12:27

They’re just making themselves look stupid. I hope there will be a wave of “formal” complaints now.

Please
or

cinderhella · 27/02/2022 12:18

How is this any different from a kid googling the person that visited them in school to do an age appropriate show and finding their more risqué stuff?

I would say ‘the person that visited them in school’ is the defining factor

Please
or

cinderhella · 27/02/2022 12:16

Where there any other individuals invited to the school or literally just an adult entertainer?

Please
or

Porfre · 27/02/2022 08:08

Well it made the DM now

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 26/02/2022 22:42

A spokesman for Merton Council, on behalf of the school and Dolly Trolley, said: 'Hollymount School held a themed week to underline its commitment to diversity. Neither the school nor the governors are aware of any formal complaints.'

Really? I think they may find there are a few follow up calls, letters and emails next week now clearly marked 'THIS IS A FORMAL COMPLAINT, IN CASE YOU WERE IN ANY DOUBT, AND I WANT AN ANSWER'.

Please
or
Please
or

2022HereWeCome · 26/02/2022 19:02

OP can you update us next week please?

Please
or

PrincessConsuelaBananahamm0ck · 26/02/2022 18:48

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm wondering if the school will respond to your concerns next week. It would appear that Dolly Trolley has removed the posts from the school visit from their Instagram and Facebook accounts (might be wrong, but I can't seem to see them anymore).

Please
or

Helleofabore · 26/02/2022 13:40

I too would be interested in their response, OP.

I have seen nothing compelling in the posts of those attempting to defend this decision. The false comparisons, the downplaying of the lowering of boundaries.

None of it compelling. And All of it falls in to the usual denigration and shaming of anyone who does see it as a safeguarding fail.

Same old, same old. And we watch history repeating itself, but this time there is the determination to attempt to obscure it under ‘inclusion’ and ‘diversity’.

Please
or

Blogblogblogblog · 25/02/2022 18:33

Shocking

Please
or

Lennyllama · 25/02/2022 18:22

The only response has been a very vague message on the weekly newsletter saying parents should approach the school directly with any concerns about activities at the school. They did not mention the DQ at all.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Blogblogblogblog · 25/02/2022 18:03

Have the school responded OP?

Please
or

MangyInseam · 25/02/2022 15:27

@WarriorN

DQ in schools, aside all the inappropriateness, brings nothing to the table.

It's adding to the hyper focus we have in society on what we look like rather than what we do.

The message that boys can wear dresses is a moot point. And? There's enough visual media telling them that. Kids don't go to school to learn what they can wear.

Tackling bullying around chosen colours and outfits is an entirely different thing and can very easily be dealt with in school. I used to read Bills new frock by Anne Fine for this very reason. It was much more effective at teaching other's POV.

Honestly at this point I don't want schools to invite anyone or promote anything. I want them to stop giving audiobooks to my 14 year old's class and have them read something substantial.
Please
or

TheUsualShitshow · 25/02/2022 15:24

Oh FGS what use is it for us to sit around picking apart pointless analogies? If an actor wanted to visit my children's school dressed like the DQ in question did, I'd have a big fucking problem with it.

Please
or

Bintymcbintface · 25/02/2022 13:22

@PurgatoryOfPotholes

On the previous thread Binty observed that Hollywood actors don't have different identities for starring in children's films and films rated 15+/18+.

This is true. They do not. It is also true that Hollywood production companies don't believe in giving films away for free, and put a lot of effort into suppressing film piracy. They gatekeep films and the aim is that you should only be able to access 15+/18+ Hollywood films by showing your ID at the cinema or showing your ID when you purchase the DVD.

They are also obliged to carefully curate which sections they use for film trailers, in case children see them.

So this does not hold up as an analogy when we consider a drag queen who uses the same professional name for marketing himself as an entertainer for adult events as he does for events entertaining children at a school, and who has "steamy" content under that professional name.

How does it not hold up? Take Chris Rock or Kevin Hart for example, both of whom have appeared in successful family films, (Madagascar and Jumanji respectively) but if you Google either of those people you'll find their stand-up which is certainly not suitable for young ears. How is this any different from a kid googling the person that visited them in school to do an age appropriate show and finding their more risqué stuff?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.