My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why the hell do my swimming costumes do this?

95 replies

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:36

I’m beyond frustrated. Can anyone relate / give advice?
I have large boobs so need a non padded, NON moulded cup, underwired swimming costume. (Would never wear bikini)
I get them from figleaves (now simply be I believe) and they look great, fit well, hold everything in place. They arnt cheap but I can’t really find anything as good. All swimming costumes seem to come with moulded cups which do not work with my boobs at all.
The problem is that every flipping costume really quickly goes see through at the bum after a short time. The water degrades it.
I always rinse well with cold water.
I seem to have to buy a new one every year and now with my latest one I’ve only worn it approx 10 times and it’s already completely see through at the bum.
I’m so cross as these costumes cost around £60.
Please tell me someone has an answer to this 😩

----

If you've found this page in search of swimwear that has been tried and tested by fellow Mumsnet users, you might find our guide to the best swimsuits for women useful. Hope this helps! MNHQ

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

58 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
tulips27 · 04/02/2022 20:48

Swimming costumes should never go in a washing machine. And I wash mine with either pure liquid soapflakes (Wilkinson/Waitrose) or a blob of shampoo, never laundry detergent. Also they have to be thoroughly rinsed as soon as you get home, and washed in soap the same day. the rinsing at the pool is often still in chlorinated water so it doesn't count.

ShinyMe · 04/02/2022 20:48

Oh well yes, hot tubs definitely don't help.

ShinyMe · 04/02/2022 20:48

I hate to say it, but are they too small? I find that areas that are most stretched, especially on black costumes, seem to deteriorate from chlorine faster than the less stretched areas.

I've been wearing expensive tankini tops from Bravissimo with cheapo Shein swimming shorts that cost £7 and seem to last for ever with no change at all in their quality.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:47

@hamsterchump

I've never had this happen, do you go on a lot of water slides OP?

I would complain I think, especially if it's always happening. Is the fabric going all thin in that area then? I will say that surf brand bikinis and swimsuits often seem to be better quality/thicker material than fashion ones so that might be worth a look but I don't know if they do ones that meet your requirements otherwise.

No water slides no, but I do go in the hot tub at the pool sometimes and have used a hot tub whilst on holiday etc
The material goes really thin in the bum area with white dots on the underside of the bum cheek / crack area. It’s like the elastic in the material keeps eroding
OP posts:
mandoforever · 04/02/2022 20:47

OP, you need to put them through the washing machine after swim to get rid of all the chlorine.
Just rinsing them in water isn't enough.

saveforthat · 04/02/2022 20:46

I swim every day and have done for years. I have 5 costumes and wash them after one wear (with other clothes) they still go thin but not as quickly buy more (cheap) ones.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:45
OP posts:
Hankunamatata · 04/02/2022 20:44

Are you washing with detergent to get all chlorine out

hamsterchump · 04/02/2022 20:44

I've never had this happen, do you go on a lot of water slides OP?

I would complain I think, especially if it's always happening. Is the fabric going all thin in that area then? I will say that surf brand bikinis and swimsuits often seem to be better quality/thicker material than fashion ones so that might be worth a look but I don't know if they do ones that meet your requirements otherwise.

ChrimboGateauxCatto · 04/02/2022 20:43

Dont wash in fabric softener it kills lycra and elastic. Same goes for tights

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:43

@Stormwhale

Are you only rinsing with water? Or then washing them in the machine too? I wonder if you arent getting all the chlorine out of the fabric? I have always bunged mine on a cooler wash in the machine and don't have this problem.

I do put them in the wash every now and again but the instructions actually say hand wash with cold water.
I put them in the wash after a few swims as I like it to be properly washed but maybe I shouldn’t? Wouldn’t have thought a few washed would have caused it though?
OP posts:
eurochick · 04/02/2022 20:42

Are you rinsing out salt or chlorinated water very thoroughly? They degrade the fabric.

Stormwhale · 04/02/2022 20:42

Are you only rinsing with water? Or then washing them in the machine too? I wonder if you arent getting all the chlorine out of the fabric? I have always bunged mine on a cooler wash in the machine and don't have this problem.

Hobbes8 · 04/02/2022 20:41

I get a fig leaves tankini underwired proper cup sized top and cheapo plain coloured swim bottoms from decathlon.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:41

@DownWhichOfLate

I would send it back and complain!

It’s been 9 months and 10 swims later though so don’t think I can now! That’s always the problem. It goes wrong too late to complain but too early to be right!
OP posts:
shouldistop · 04/02/2022 20:40

I've never had that happen. I buy bikinis and swimsuits from bravissimo.

Honeyroar · 04/02/2022 20:40

(Mine weren’t figleaves)

Honeyroar · 04/02/2022 20:39

I don’t know the answer, but I’ve had that happen to a few of mine. Particularly turquoise ones!

DownWhichOfLate · 04/02/2022 20:39

I would send it back and complain!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.