My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why the hell do my swimming costumes do this?

95 replies

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:36

I’m beyond frustrated. Can anyone relate / give advice?
I have large boobs so need a non padded, NON moulded cup, underwired swimming costume. (Would never wear bikini)
I get them from figleaves (now simply be I believe) and they look great, fit well, hold everything in place. They arnt cheap but I can’t really find anything as good. All swimming costumes seem to come with moulded cups which do not work with my boobs at all.
The problem is that every flipping costume really quickly goes see through at the bum after a short time. The water degrades it.
I always rinse well with cold water.
I seem to have to buy a new one every year and now with my latest one I’ve only worn it approx 10 times and it’s already completely see through at the bum.
I’m so cross as these costumes cost around £60.
Please tell me someone has an answer to this 😩

----

If you've found this page in search of swimwear that has been tried and tested by fellow Mumsnet users, you might find our guide to the best swimsuits for women useful. Hope this helps! MNHQ

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

58 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
Blinkingheckythump · 04/02/2022 21:13

I am a big girl, get my swimsuits from simply be. Put them in the washing machine with normal clothes on a 40 degree wash after every use and never have this issue. I think it's the chlorine not getting washed out properly

BloomingInformation · 04/02/2022 21:13

Great idea @Hobbes8

Fink · 04/02/2022 21:10

@TheAbbotOfUnreason

I’m a 32D and have no problems with Speedo or Uglies - I can’t imagine swimming with anything underwired Shock

But 32D is not large (if it's properly measured). The OP has large boobs so she needs underwired. Your experience isn't really comparable.

I'm a 30G, which is on the larger side but not big enough to cause problems with most clothes; I would wear underwired on a beach to actually give some support. I'm ok with speedo if it's just for swimming then out again. I couldn't get away with speedo if there was any length of time in the costume - hot tub, water park, beach etc.
OddsNSodsBitsNBobs · 04/02/2022 21:07

Ex national swimmer here, a racing costume say Speedo only has around 30 hours life.....

Alphavilla · 04/02/2022 21:07

Yes I second Speedo endurance. Chlorine will perish the elastine in any standard costume in no time no matter how well you rinse. I never buy anything else now. Standard costumes for pool swimming are a waste of money.

Dahlietta · 04/02/2022 21:06

@Hobbes8, I see you.

shouldistop · 04/02/2022 21:04

@TheAbbotOfUnreason

I’m a 32D and have no problems with Speedo or Uglies - I can’t imagine swimming with anything underwired Shock

A D cup isn't very large tbh. Try being a 32H with no underwire.
Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 21:04

@TheAbbotOfUnreason

A non underwired costume looks awful on me though. Boobs down to almost my stomach and swinging around everywhere
Wish they still stayed in place but after breastfeeding 3 kids it’s not happening sadly
OP posts:
TheAbbotOfUnreason · 04/02/2022 21:02

AuntieDolly · 04/02/2022 21:01

I buy fantasie costume in bra sizes and they've lasted very well. Not cheap though!

TheAbbotOfUnreason · 04/02/2022 21:00

It’ll be the chlorine degrading the fabric, especially if you’re swimming in pools that are heavy handed with the chemical dosing.

You need a proper chlorine resistant fabric like Speedo Endurance.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 21:00

@Kjr33

Never any detergent of any sort. I use the cool rinse cycle on the machine though rather than hand wash, has to be done asap after swimming. Hung to dry properly but never in strong sunlight. I have had costumes last for years like this and have a competitive swimmer in the house who keeps swim wear for ages too. Also try proper swimwear brands (although I appreciate this will be v hard with big boobs to consider) rather than fashion swimwear.

The trouble is sometimes I’ve been places where you can’t wash ASAP. Ie on holiday, staying at a travel lodge, going for a spa day and staying at a hotel. Doesn’t happen often - maybe once or twice a year.
The sports costumes never seem to be under wired and I need a proper fitted boob size to be supported properly.
I’m a 34 E and boobs are a bit saggy unfortunately
OP posts:
Awalkintime · 04/02/2022 20:58

Are you drying it on something warm like a radiator? I hang mine on the door handles and one time the chest area had touched the radiator behind it and the elastic had broken down in that area.

Hobbes8 · 04/02/2022 20:57

@Hobbes8

I get a fig leaves tankini underwired proper cup sized top and cheapo plain coloured swim bottoms from decathlon.

I feel like my excellent suggestion was overlooked and for some reason I’m feeling aggrieved about it.
CMOTDibbler · 04/02/2022 20:56

Hot tubs are death of swimming costumes I'm afraid - the chemical levels are just so high. I swim a lot more than you are and get a lot longer out of a cossie, but they go in exactly the same way. You need one labelled endurance or chlorine resistant to last longer - Bravissimo have some.
I wash all mine with Halo sports wash on a very short cold wash cycle to get all the yuck out

Kjr33 · 04/02/2022 20:56

Never any detergent of any sort. I use the cool rinse cycle on the machine though rather than hand wash, has to be done asap after swimming. Hung to dry properly but never in strong sunlight. I have had costumes last for years like this and have a competitive swimmer in the house who keeps swim wear for ages too. Also try proper swimwear brands (although I appreciate this will be v hard with big boobs to consider) rather than fashion swimwear.

MaizeAmaze · 04/02/2022 20:55

Zoggs have a chlorine resistant swimsuit that used to survive longer for me - I used to swim 5 times a week in the summer - but I dont think they do underwired.

BlowDryRat · 04/02/2022 20:55

That's very poor. I swim quite a lot but still have the same tankini I bought about about a month after I started dating now-DH. I'd complain. Figleaves isn't cheap!

TheVolturi · 04/02/2022 20:54

Have you got any tankini or bikini bottoms? You could wear a pair underneath your costume. That's what I would do.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 04/02/2022 20:53

Do any of the Speedo ones work for you? I have found this is usually a problem with cheaper swimsuits or swimsuits designed for wearing around rather than in the pool. The Speedo ones have various fancy chlorine resistant fabrics and I've not had a problem with them.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:52

@SkiRun0077

Or consider a cheaper costume & wear a bra under it. I swim multiple times a week and have big boobs so sometimes wear a sports bra under a costume.

That’s interesting, never thought of that!
Funnily enough, when I’ve worn cheaper costumes (before kids when boobs were pert) they rarely did this
OP posts:
Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:51

@TheOrigRights

If you are washing in detergent every few washes and you've been 10 times in 9 months, that's a few months between washes. I think you need to put on a cool cycle with detergent every time.

I swim a lot. My black costume go a bit pale and my cheap Sport Direct one perished but I'd def got my moneys worth from them.

When you say see through, do you mean the fabric has got thinner?

Yes thin and see through. If you look on the back of the fabric there is all white bits like the elastic has degraded
OP posts:
SkiRun0077 · 04/02/2022 20:51

Or consider a cheaper costume & wear a bra under it. I swim multiple times a week and have big boobs so sometimes wear a sports bra under a costume.

Silverswirl · 04/02/2022 20:49

@mandoforever

OP, you need to put them through the washing machine after swim to get rid of all the chlorine.
Just rinsing them in water isn't enough.

I do that every couple / few swims but it says on the label hand wash only.
I would say I’ve worn 10 times and washed with detergent 7 times. Cold rinsed 3 times approx
OP posts:
TheOrigRights · 04/02/2022 20:48

If you are washing in detergent every few washes and you've been 10 times in 9 months, that's a few months between washes. I think you need to put on a cool cycle with detergent every time.

I swim a lot. My black costume go a bit pale and my cheap Sport Direct one perished but I'd def got my moneys worth from them.

When you say see through, do you mean the fabric has got thinner?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.