Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to not understand the outrage over the government’s so-called Christmas party?

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 22:33

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots. We were “told” not to visit our own families over Christmas. Nobody tells me whether I can or can not visit my own family, so I did, and had a lovely and nice normal Christmas last year.

It seems people are up in arms over the fact that Downing Street allegedly (do I have to say allegedly?) had a Christmas party and flounced the “rules” without social distancing. My only reaction is…And? And so? So what? Did anyone expect the government NOT to do something like this? I don’t know why people are up in arms over it tbh. It’s not like this government is brand new to people and they didn’t have prior information that this government backtrack and “do as I say not as i do” ALL THE TIME.

I really don’t get why people are so outraged by this. My main reaction is…why did you listen to them in the first place expecting them to be some kind of moral leaders? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

lazylinguist · 09/12/2021 21:28

YABU. I don't pick and choose whether to abide by the laws of the country according to whether I think politicians are going to abide by them or not. Some politicians are hypocritical, amoral arseholes. That doesn't mean that I want to copy them.

Please
or

julieca · 09/12/2021 21:28

This is still going on!
You know how I can tell people are still mad? Because of the amount of memes I have seen about it.

Please
or

DysmalRadius · 09/12/2021 21:05

You appear to be applying the same kind of 'logic' as many other people who say things like 'Well, my doctor told me to give up smoking, but I've seen them having a fag outside the surgery, so I'm just going to carry on.'

Whether or not our government did the right thing doesn't change the fact that it was the right thing to do. You didn't do the right thing but it doesn't make the rest of us wrong.

Please
or

jgw1 · 09/12/2021 20:44

Lol lol lol
Yes, Russia might invade Ukraine, China might increase the number of torture camps, there may be dozens of little Arthur Hughes suffering right now but let us focus on a cheese and wine party.

Indeed it is outrageous that our Prime Minister is spending his time trying to justify why he has appointed people to run his government who can't help breaking the law, when instead he ought to be focussing his attention on these crisis you mention.

Please
or

SammyScrounge · 09/12/2021 20:40

@dollbaby868

I just saw this post on Instagram. So true lol

Lol lol lol
Yes, Russia might invade Ukraine, China might increase the number of torture camps, there may be dozens of little Arthur Hughes suffering right now but let us focus on a cheese and wine party.
Please
or

Lorriestakingppe · 09/12/2021 17:00

This thread has made me so cross. I keep thinking about it. OP does it not cross your mind that if everyone had been as bloody selfish and self absorbed as you we would have 1000's more dead? There were no vaccines then, it would have been carnage. You are utterly selfish.

Please
or

thinkingaboutLangCleg · 09/12/2021 11:51

OP, your thread is so very tone deaf. Many of us followed the law because we were trying to do the right thing. I don't know why you feel the need to sneer at us

I agree. Sympathy to all who have suffered bereavement or other losses through covid.

Please
or

purplehairlady · 09/12/2021 11:15

@OneRuleForThem

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots. We were “told” not to visit our own families over Christmas. Nobody tells me whether I can or can not visit my own family, so I did, and had a lovely and nice normal Christmas last year.

It seems people are up in arms over the fact that Downing Street allegedly (do I have to say allegedly?) had a Christmas party and flounced the “rules” without social distancing. My only reaction is…And? And so? So what? Did anyone expect the government NOT to do something like this? I don’t know why people are up in arms over it tbh. It’s not like this government is brand new to people and they didn’t have prior information that this government backtrack and “do as I say not as i do” ALL THE TIME.

I really don’t get why people are so outraged by this. My main reaction is…why did you listen to them in the first place expecting them to be some kind of moral leaders? AIBU?

Something like Christmas is minor, but it was the same period hospitals wouldn't let people see their dying loved ones and women were in hospital having babies without their partners.

Struggle to understand why you aren't outraged.
Please
or

Thatldo · 09/12/2021 11:04

@camperqueen54

That's an insensitive viewpoint. You deserve to get basted!

Agree.OP is very very insensitive and hopefully,she gets an earful here.unfortunately,people like her just dont give a fig about anybody else.
Please
or

Cornettoninja · 09/12/2021 10:48

@Peregrina

I heard on the radio this week that there is a legal loophole which means the laws around covid don't apply in government buildings such as number 10.

That might have exempted the building, but did it exempt the people involved? As far as understood that wasn't the case. So it sounds disingenuous at best.

Especially when the queen followed covid rules for her husbands funeral. If anyone should be able to use a loop hole it’s her.
Please
or

getsanta · 09/12/2021 10:44

@requiredusername I think that's exactly what he's doing.

Please
or

WhenSepEnds · 09/12/2021 10:44

YABU

Please
or

Sceptre86 · 09/12/2021 10:24

We listened and kept to the rules so I didn't see family last xmas and missed my dad's birthday at New year. I did the same for both eids in 2020 and the first was bloody difficult as it was the first since my fil had passed. My dd had two lockdown birthdays. It wasn't just guidance at the time it was law. We were also unvaccinated at the time so had to morally to protect them and us.

It isn't wrong to expect the government to uphold the laws they expect Joe public to abide by.

Please
or

requiredusername · 09/12/2021 10:18

@Peregrina

I heard on the radio this week that there is a legal loophole which means the laws around covid don't apply in government buildings such as number 10.

That might have exempted the building, but did it exempt the people involved? As far as understood that wasn't the case. So it sounds disingenuous at best.

Do you think this is what Boris is referring to when saying that no rules were broken? Without explicitly stating the reason why no rules were broken?
Please
or

KurtWildesChristmasNamechange · 09/12/2021 10:16

@Peregrina

I expect Johnson was livid because they had been found out, not because they were breaking the rules.

Indeed. Like any one who's caught cheating.
Please
or

OldaRailer · 09/12/2021 10:15

Quoting Al Johnson from yesterday,
"I was also furious to see that clip."
😉

Please
or

Parker231 · 09/12/2021 10:11

@Peregrina

I expect Johnson was livid because they had been found out, not because they were breaking the rules.

100%!
Please
or

OldaRailer · 09/12/2021 10:03

Yes, if you listen to his words that is the sane interpretation.

Please
or

Peregrina · 09/12/2021 10:01

Please
or

OldaRailer · 09/12/2021 09:56

Interesting about "no rules were broken".
Like Johnson said in PMQs words to the effect he was as livid as anyone else that the story had come out, well yes!😉

Please
or

Peregrina · 09/12/2021 09:55

Please
or

EverdeRose · 09/12/2021 05:39

It's not about if individuals listened.

It's about how the very same people setting the rules broke them. All behind the door to number 10 which was being guarded by the police.

At thd same time their party was going on my good friend was cautioned for going to see a relative who was dying.

Please
or

camperqueen54 · 09/12/2021 05:35

That's an insensitive viewpoint. You deserve to get basted!

Please
or

BurnedToast · 09/12/2021 05:20

OP, you're not some pioneer of freedom whilst the rest of us are lemmings. The stats in January show meeting at Christmas last year was a pretty stupid decision. We were allowed to meet if I recall correctly. Thankfully some of us had the sense not to..

As for the party, given people were dying alone in hospital because their loved ones couldn't visit them, it's pretty crass of the government to be holding a party. Yes, we may exoect it if them but rhaf doesn't make it right.

I heard on the radio this week that there is a legal loophole which means the laws around covid don't apply in government buildings such as number 10. That is presumably why BJ kept saying 'no rules were broken' instead of 'there was no party'.

This whole party thing is a smokescreen for something else anyway. As is the sudden covid restrictions. I'm sure that will all come out in the wash. Confused

Please
or

GreenWhiteViolet · 09/12/2021 04:52

I didn't visit elderly family members last Christmas because we were all concerned about the risk. I did visit other, lower-risk relatives. That risk assessment process would have been the same regardless of what Boris said. So I understand where the OP is coming from.

I do think it's somewat naive to expect the government to follow all their own rules. However, if they get caught blatantly breaking them, they fucked up. They should resign, or be let go. Not because 'the rules' are sacred, but because if you're imposing them on other people, some of whom are following them to the letter despite it causing significant personal hardship, the very least you can do is give the appearance of following them yourself. Not even doing that much displays complete contempt for the people you're allegedly leading.

That's what was so bad about Cummings. Not what he did, but the excuse 'it's what any good parent would have done'. Insulting to all those parents who were trying to follow the guidance, whatever their circumstances.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.