Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to not understand the outrage over the government’s so-called Christmas party?

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 22:33

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots. We were “told” not to visit our own families over Christmas. Nobody tells me whether I can or can not visit my own family, so I did, and had a lovely and nice normal Christmas last year.

It seems people are up in arms over the fact that Downing Street allegedly (do I have to say allegedly?) had a Christmas party and flounced the “rules” without social distancing. My only reaction is…And? And so? So what? Did anyone expect the government NOT to do something like this? I don’t know why people are up in arms over it tbh. It’s not like this government is brand new to people and they didn’t have prior information that this government backtrack and “do as I say not as i do” ALL THE TIME.

I really don’t get why people are so outraged by this. My main reaction is…why did you listen to them in the first place expecting them to be some kind of moral leaders? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:24

@Nowayoutonlydown
If it was unsafe for us, and our concern for putting additional pressure on the NHS, why was it safe for the MPs to have parties? How was it safe for them?

This is literally my whole point

OP's posts:
Please
or

mikulkin · 12/12/2021 16:27

[quote OneRuleForThem]@youvegottenminuteslynn
But the “law” was: you can’t visit your families at Christmas. That is a crazy law. I don’t understand why people agreed to adhere to it. That is illogical to me. My family is more important to me than obeying that “law”.[/quote]
Where do you draw a line what is logical or not? The thing is people usually follow the law, whether they personally find it logical or not. If everybody decides to use law according to their understanding of what is logical there will chaos. I am surprised you don’t understand it.

And there was a logic behind this particular law. You could have had COVID and spread it to your family, they could have spread it further putting at risk other people and NHS. What is so difficult to understand about the logic behind this law in the middle of major pandemic? Apparently having a nice Christmas with your family was more important to you.
So you were lucky and didn’t have COVID and didn’t spread it to your family, that doesn’t mean that you made the right decision.

Please
or

Onlyhuman123 · 12/12/2021 15:16

@Rose789

To be honest OP you sound just as much of a twat as the people that attended that party.
You broke the law so you could have a merry Christmas cos fuck the government?
Everyone could have done that. The vast vast majority of people chose not too because they are not absolute selfish fuckers like you

^totally this
Please
or

oklets · 12/12/2021 15:03

OP you seem very pleased with yourself for being so clever to ignore the guidelines/break the law. Except it's not actually clever, it's just not giving a shit about other people.

Please
or

nanbread · 12/12/2021 14:54

@OneRuleForThem

I’m just struggling to understand why people listened to the advice in the first place. It doesn’t make sense to me

Are you hard of thinking? People have explained repeatedly why on here.
Please
or

RedHot22 · 12/12/2021 14:08

I wanted to see my family as they’re the most important thing to me. Protecting them was more important than seeing them though. How would I have ever lived with myself knowing that I had passed on Covid to an elderly or sick relative and they had died. Some people are very short sighted and don’t think through the consequences of their actions.

Also, the NHS was overwhelmed.
What if a family member was in an accident or suffered a cardiac arrest and there were no ICU beds available?

Please
or

Livingtothefull · 12/12/2021 13:39

'My family is more important to me than obeying that “law”.'

My own family is more important to me than anything...that is why my desire to not put them (as well as others) at risk by seeing them was stronger than my desire to see them.

And you don't need the inverted commas for the word "law". A law is a law, this applies even to laws you don't personally like.

'As many people seem to have reacted angry but like someone else said, I think they are mostly angry at themselves for doing what was told of them'.

Untrue. Personally speaking I am not at all angry with myself about this, I am glad I did the right thing when it mattered at this time. The anger is directed at you and those like you whose personal wants put others at risk. It is very apparent on this thread where the anger lies.

Please
or

jgw1 · 12/12/2021 13:19

Why is it all about you?

Because I am far more important than you. you can tell this because I drive an unnecessarily large and polluting SUV.

Please
or

Cornettoninja · 12/12/2021 13:05

@Parker231 because an awful lot of people think they’re the leading star in their own personal show. There’s an awful lot of protagonists about these days.

Please
or

Parker231 · 12/12/2021 13:00

[quote OneRuleForThem]@Parker231
So what you want to do is more important than laws to prevent more people dying

Me visiting my own family didn’t make people die if that’s what you’re seriously suggesting here??[/quote]
Why is it all about you?

Please
or

Nowayoutonlydown · 12/12/2021 12:33

But the “law” was: you can’t visit your families at Christmas. That is a crazy law. I don’t understand why people agreed to adhere to it. That is illogical to me. My family is more important to me than obeying that “law”.[/quote]
I think your line of thought is vastly different to many others.
When that law was put in place, it was told to us as a society this was to keep people safe.
Having a high proportion of family members who were high risk and no vaccines being given at that point to any of us, it felt like the logical and caring thing to do for our family members was to follow the letter of the law.

If it was unsafe for us, and our concern for putting additional pressure on the NHS, why was it safe for the MPs to have parties? How was it safe for them?

Please
or

Cornettoninja · 12/12/2021 12:16

@OneRuleForThem I’m surprised you keep coming back to this thread with this particular username tbh. The problem is you and people exactly like you being in government. Our government are a mirror of people like you.

There were rules in place for a reason. You and others decided you knew better and that doing what you wanted was justified so went ahead and did it. Now you can’t understand the anger and condemnation of your choices - because you’ve thoroughly justified it to yourself. You’re never going to understand it because your head just doesn’t work that way, you can’t see beyond the immediate consequences to your own personal circle. Fine whatever, but that’s who you are whether you understand it or not, you’re no different to those who keep this country in a state of ‘ one rule for them and a different one to the rest of us’ and we deserve better.

The January lockdown was largely due to the attitude of the government that it wasn’t going to happen. Then it did.

Please
or

youvegottenminuteslynn · 12/12/2021 10:30

And OP, you also don't seem to comprehend that it's people like you (who didn't obey the law) who contributed to the crisis and meant the restrictions were in place longer than they would have been had you and others all obeyed the law. You're contributing to the need for the law you refuse to adhere to.

It's selfish and you seem to think you have the moral highground for seeing your family when everyone would have loved to do so but made a decision for the greater good / because they couldn't risk the potential punishment.

Please
or

youvegottenminuteslynn · 12/12/2021 10:26

you need to agree to disagree / concede that you for whatever reason don't understand it but the vast majority of people do.

I have literally repeated exactly this for my last however many posts.[/quote]
Yes - you keep repeating it which means people keep replying. If you know you're not going to understand (or don't want to) then it would make more sense to me to leave the thread instead of continuing to reiterate that you put your family first, insinuating those who followed the rules didn't do so. Which tbh considering people have shared stories of losing loved ones, is insensitive as fuck.

Please
or

Wonkydonkey44 · 12/12/2021 10:25

I followed the rules last year at Christmas, my daughter is clinically vulnerable ( Down syndrome ) and my parents are in their 70's.
I saw my parents for 3 hours on Christmas Day , the family Christmas we'd organised with my sister and all the kids , grandparents was cancelled.
The reason I didn't break the rules was I couldn't bare the long term guilt i would feel if id given one of them covid and then they'd died .
I'm sorry for everyone on this thread who missed out on previous time elderly family member or sick relatives whilst out leaders felt it was ok for them to do as they please.

Please
or

WhatdoImean · 12/12/2021 10:24

Illegal*

Please
or

WhatdoImean · 12/12/2021 10:24

I really do not get this..

If "OneRule" REALLY does not understand, after 30-odd pages of comments explaining WHY, then either a) she is being disingenuous and is just trolling, OR b) she is a thick as pig excrement. Genuinely - after 30 pages of explanation, if you really don't get it, then I suspect you may need some help - probably with pictures in nice primary colours and words of one syllable

As regards the party itself:-

1. People came from outside to be in the party, so no, not just people who are working together
  2. There was no social distancing
  3. It was illegale, not just "ill advised"
  4. The contempt it displayed for those who WERE following the law, losing loved ones, is beyond measure.

In my opinion, the truth is that they were so arrogant, they never even THOUGHT that the law applied to them, and thus saw nothing wrong with what they did - and still don't.
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 10:23

@youvegottenminuteslynn
you need to agree to disagree / concede that you for whatever reason don't understand it but the vast majority of people do.

I have literally repeated exactly this for my last however many posts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

youvegottenminuteslynn · 12/12/2021 10:18

[quote OneRuleForThem]@Parker231

Me visiting my own family didn’t make people die if that’s what you’re seriously suggesting here??[/quote]
Are you seriously not getting this?

If you had covid and visited them, you would likely have spread it to them. They would then likely have spread it to others. And so on and so on.

And it was the law. If you want to break laws and risk the consequences then that's your prerogative but some people don't do that partly because of the potential punishments but also partly because they understood the law was made for the greater good when it came to the virus spreading.

I think rather than continually making out that you prioritised your family and others didnt, you need to agree to disagree / concede that you for whatever reason don't understand it but the vast majority of people do.

Everyone has to do their bit. If everyone had done what you did, the virus would have spread further, the NHS would have been under more pressure and further laws would have been necessary to curtail the spread. If you genuinely can't understand that then I think the concept of a virus is just beyond you maybe?

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 10:13

@Parker231

Me visiting my own family didn’t make people die if that’s what you’re seriously suggesting here??

OP's posts:
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 10:11

But perhaps you are right and I just don’t understand and not getting it. As many people seem to have reacted angry but like someone else said, I think they are mostly angry at themselves for doing what was told of them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Parker231 · 12/12/2021 10:11

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 10:09

@youvegottenminuteslynn
But the “law” was: you can’t visit your families at Christmas. That is a crazy law. I don’t understand why people agreed to adhere to it. That is illogical to me. My family is more important to me than obeying that “law”.

OP's posts:
Please
or

youvegottenminuteslynn · 12/12/2021 10:05

@OneRuleForThem

I’m just struggling to understand why people listened to the advice in the first place. It doesn’t make sense to me

I can't tell if you're on a wind up at this point. Advice is different to the law. People got fined for breaking the law. Other people obeyed the law so as not to get fined / punished. Other people followed the law because they listened to the scientists whose expertise shaped the law, which was designed to stop the NHS collapsing and the virus spreading even further. You keep saying you don't understand but if you really don't at this point, even after all the posts on this thread, then you're not going to.
Please
or

Wonkydonkey44 · 12/12/2021 10:04

@Ifartglitterybaubles

We lost my sister to Covid, she was 47. We couldn't go to the funeral because we were following the rules at that time. My mum watched her daughters funeral on facetime because she couldn't travel the 300 miles as she was shielding. She died of Cancer 6 weeks later. WE followed the rules this Government set whilst they threw parties and laughed about it. If you honestly can't understand why this is an issue or why people are angry then I don't know what else to say.

I can't even... I am beyond angry.

I'm so sorry for your loss Thanks
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.