Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to not understand the outrage over the government’s so-called Christmas party?

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 22:33

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots. We were “told” not to visit our own families over Christmas. Nobody tells me whether I can or can not visit my own family, so I did, and had a lovely and nice normal Christmas last year.

It seems people are up in arms over the fact that Downing Street allegedly (do I have to say allegedly?) had a Christmas party and flounced the “rules” without social distancing. My only reaction is…And? And so? So what? Did anyone expect the government NOT to do something like this? I don’t know why people are up in arms over it tbh. It’s not like this government is brand new to people and they didn’t have prior information that this government backtrack and “do as I say not as i do” ALL THE TIME.

I really don’t get why people are so outraged by this. My main reaction is…why did you listen to them in the first place expecting them to be some kind of moral leaders? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

lightisnotwhite · 12/12/2021 19:43

I agree and I think that’s what peopke have been doing all along over this issue.

Why keep bring funerals and dying alone into it? Theirs nothing to say anyone at no.10 broke those rules. They are separate with separate risks.
You have no idea if people at the party lost loved ones themselves. No one is laughing at the public.

Everyone was restricting their lives. I’m pretty sure the normal no.10 party is a much grander affair then whatever happened last year. People who were working together getting together after work makes sod all difference to anything.

Please
or

Cornettoninja · 12/12/2021 19:33

I think (hope) you’re being disingenuous @lightisnotwhite. At a time the country was meant to be preventing any further overwhelming of hospitals by restricting our lives people ignoring the state of disaster our society was in is crass and distasteful.

Trying to score cheap points by ignoring recent history and twisting peoples words is pretty low.

Please
or

Suspiciousmind20 · 12/12/2021 19:33

WrongWayApricot

Steady on guys, OP has a point. Next time I'm late I'll just drive through red lights as well as green lights. I'm a very careful driver so I won't be directly responsible for anyone's death but I will be home in time to have dinner with my family, and spending time with my family is more important than any law. Anyone waiting at a red light and making themselves late is just a mug, if emergency services and the queen can do it, why can't we? After understanding OPs logic I realise hard shoulders are just traffic free lanes for those of us that aren't sheeple.

Grin good point. I’ll drink a few bottles of wine and drive home now I realise I’m just a stupid sheeple.

Might go swinging a loaded gun around, smoke in public, get in the way of ambulances etc. I’m going to have so much fun and no stupid government rules are going to stop me! Ha ha. I’ve seen the light.

Please
or

Suspiciousmind20 · 12/12/2021 19:28

lightisnotwhite

I think you have —deliberately— misunderstood. It’s obviously the unfair nature of people sticking to the rules on something as emotionally painful as not visiting a loved one in hospital or not being visited in hospital and the frivolity of breaking the rules for a totally unnecessary party.

Please
or

longwayoff · 12/12/2021 19:23

And, definitely OP, as already mentioned, get a copy of Jon Ronson"s The Psychopath Test as a Christmas present to yourself. It will be illuminating for you.

Please
or

WrongWayApricot · 12/12/2021 19:21

Steady on guys, OP has a point. Next time I'm late I'll just drive through red lights as well as green lights. I'm a very careful driver so I won't be directly responsible for anyone's death but I will be home in time to have dinner with my family, and spending time with my family is more important than any law. Anyone waiting at a red light and making themselves late is just a mug, if emergency services and the queen can do it, why can't we? After understanding OPs logic I realise hard shoulders are just traffic free lanes for those of us that aren't sheeple.

Please
or

jgw1 · 12/12/2021 19:17

Christmas parties in workplaces are nothing like hospitals. How are you linking the two?

Aren't hospitals workplaces?

I think what you are saying is that people who work in offices can have parties, whereas the little people who work in hospitals, care homes and the like shouldn't.

Please
or

Pumperthepumper · 12/12/2021 19:16

@OneRuleForThem

Gosh sorry, I just can’t understand the reaction to this.

Is that true? Do you really not understand?
Please
or

lightisnotwhite · 12/12/2021 19:05

@Idontbelieveit14

People died alone in hospital….but it was ok for them to have a party? That’s what is making me outraged!

So let’s get this straight. You think relatives should have bern allowed into hospitals to visit their dying family members? All those different households mixing in a place with extremely vulnerable people.
Or do you agree they shouldn’t have?

Christmas parties in workplaces are nothing like hospitals. How are you linking the two?
Please
or

jgw1 · 12/12/2021 19:05

@OneRuleForThem

Have you heard of community and society?
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 19:04

OP's posts:
Please
or

Walkaround · 12/12/2021 19:03

@OneRuleForThem - a bit bizarre of you not to see the problem with the attitude that following the rules is for idiots.

Please
or

longwayoff · 12/12/2021 18:54

Bozo's going to tell you some more things you will have difficulty in understanding at 8pm tonight OP, so put the tv on and concentrate Very Hard. Perhaps get a friend to watch with you and explain very slowly why you should abide by any rule changes. Or just go to the pub and ignore it and get some info from Mr Wetherspoon.

Please
or

Idontbelieveit14 · 12/12/2021 18:36

People died alone in hospital….but it was ok for them to have a party? That’s what is making me outraged!

Please
or

Dishwashersaurous · 12/12/2021 18:25

Question. Why do people obey the law?

Answer. Because they are law abiding and believe that complying with the law is th fundamental of a civilised society.

Or they don't want to be caught and get a £10,000 fine

Please
or

oklets · 12/12/2021 18:19

Well you obviously are pleased with yourself, otherwise why are you 'sorry' for people that didn't do what they liked? I followed the laws because anyone with a handful of brain cells and an ounce of compassion for others could see what needed to be done. I'm not one bit sorry about it and hearing about secret Christmas parties doesn't make me any sorrier. I'm just glad I'm not a selfish twat.

Please
or

Suspiciousmind20 · 12/12/2021 18:02

Oh dear good. IHRTFT but you are def BU.

Most people did follow the rules. People didn’t attend funerals of loved ones, didn’t visit loved ones in hospital, didn’t see friends and family. Made huge sacrifices. Whilst members of our elected government deemed it below them to do the same.

You had a nice normal Christmas. Bully for you. Your sense of entitlement would sit well in this current Government.

Please
or

Pumperthepumper · 12/12/2021 17:50

[quote OneRuleForThem]@Parker231
That day I only visited and the only people I saw was my own family.[/quote]
But what would have happened if you had taken covid and killed one of them?

That’s why I obeyed the rules - not out of some blind loyalty to Boris fucking Johnson but because I thought it was safer. And who knows if it would have been or not?

Please
or

Cornettoninja · 12/12/2021 17:46

[quote OneRuleForThem]@Cornettoninja
OneRuleForThem I’m surprised you keep coming back to this thread with this particular username tbh.

It’s my own thread so that’s why I am “coming back” to it, because I am getting alerts that people are replying.[/quote]
Yes, but you’re not saying anything new are you? You’re not even putting it in a different way.

You’ve said your piece, clarified you still don’t see what all the fuss is about so what more is there to comment?

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:33

@Parker231
That day I only visited and the only people I saw was my own family.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Parker231 · 12/12/2021 17:31

[quote OneRuleForThem]@Parker231
Why is it all about you?

It’s not, but you said me visiting my family caused people’s deaths[/quote]
Over last Christmas there were major legal restrictions which included households not mixing . This was to try and limit the spread of Covid. The instructions were clear but you decided you knew better.

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:29

@oklets

OP you seem very pleased with yourself for being so clever to ignore the guidelines/break the law. Except it's not actually clever, it's just not giving a shit about other people.

No I am not pleased with myself at all??? I just did what I liked, I am sorry for people that didn’t but I am not especially pleased by myself, or smug over others.
OP's posts:
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:28

@nanbread
Are you hard of thinking? People have explained repeatedly why on here.

I haven’t read anything that explains it to me adequately so far in regards to the question I’m meaning

OP's posts:
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:26

@Parker231
Why is it all about you?

It’s not, but you said me visiting my family caused people’s deaths

OP's posts:
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 12/12/2021 17:25

@Cornettoninja
OneRuleForThem I’m surprised you keep coming back to this thread with this particular username tbh.

It’s my own thread so that’s why I am “coming back” to it, because I am getting alerts that people are replying.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.