Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask the worst behaviour at Christmas you’ve witnessed by an adult?

SoniaFouler · 05/12/2021 18:58

Mine is:

Drunk cousin (24 at the time) shouting and arguing with everyone for most of Boxing Day three years ago, then topped it off when someone told her to stop being stupid by standing up and scraping the entire contents of her dinner plate all over the table and made my aunt cry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

1madMama · 07/12/2021 19:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

Offmyfence · 07/12/2021 18:55

[quote 1madMama]@PlacidPenelope Yes; I was just talking about my human rights being violated and it seemed to make people really angry. I’m still trying to work out if that was a true reflection of public opinion.[/quote]
How is that bad behaviour you've witnessed at Christmas?

Please
or

1madMama · 07/12/2021 18:48

Please
or

crispsinasandwich · 07/12/2021 16:17

@Buzzer3555

My mum got pissed and broke all my daughters Christmas presents then shat in her bed.

You win!
Please
or

PlacidPenelope · 07/12/2021 16:14

@1madMama

Just now by about 120 total snobs on this forum

Care to elaborate?
Please
or

again2020 · 07/12/2021 16:01

Some of these are horrifying.

In 2013 my parents had a huge argument and my mum held a knife up and told us she was going to slash her arm.
My brother's birthday is Christmas eve and between the ages of 17 and 25 ish he was regularly so hungover on Christmas day he was in bed til mid afternoon and couldn't eat his meal, my dad went mad and told him not to come back every year.
What a thread. Flowers for those who have had some appalling Christmases. Hoping for better ones ahead x

Please
or

again2020 · 07/12/2021 15:57

@riceuten Your friends husband sounds like my 'DP'..can totally see me doing that one day

Please
or

Punfreeusername · 07/12/2021 15:44

I wonder what percentage of people really think that Christmas is " The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year ".

Some awful experiences here, and this isn't including those who have been bereaved around Christmas, who are on their own etc.

I feel so lucky I haven't got any really bad stories..I'll look at my selfish, lazy BIL differently now, just try to enjoy his humour and conversation, try and look to the positives rather than the stuff that could be better.

To those in this thread that have shared their awful, abusive experiences ...please try and take a small crumb of comfort in that you've made other people count their blessings and appreciate what they have a little more.

Please
or

CityMumma78 · 07/12/2021 15:42

RaPumPumPumPum
Stop, just stop!!
You clearly have absolutely no experience of DV or living with an alcoholic parent so stop making naive, insulting and antagonising comments.

Please
or

SoniaFouler · 07/12/2021 15:34

@LakieLady

Wow, I thought this thread was going to be light-hearted and funny.

Flowers for everyone who has such awful Christmas memories.

I feel a bit sad for making the thread and reading through it and it’s a lesson learned that thread titles are very important and I should have called it the most spoiled behaviour from an adult at Christmas because I thought it’d be full of funny tales, like the MIL stropping and throwing presents down the stairs like a child (apologies to that poster if the memory isn’t funny to them but the vision made me laugh).
OP's posts:
Please
or

1madMama · 07/12/2021 15:24

Please
or

DevonSunsets · 07/12/2021 15:20

If memory serves she made a homophobic and very racist 'joke' to a very senior manager.

When called out on it, she doubled down and got pugnacious in the way only the truly drunk can get when they have decided they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I was told that she stormed off towards the dance floor much to the relief of everyone, for them to realise with horror she had made her way to the DJ snatched the mic from him then announced to the crowd that she had. been. making. a. joke. and it was funny right? to then repeat the 'joke'

Chaos erupted as people and staff lunged at her with her screaming that she had a right to the freedom of speech and if anyone touched her she would sue.

My mother repeats to this day that they were uptight AH's who were way to 'PC' and just couldn't take a joke

(the disciplinary did relate to another incident in combination with this one later on but I am sure my family member would likely not want me to mention that here - but the above gives you idea)

Please
or

user290814356289 · 07/12/2021 15:08

@DevonSunsets that's awful.

I'm glad to read that you no longer have Christmases like that.

Please
or

Plopcorn · 07/12/2021 15:06

@DevonSunsets I’m sure you’re right. I hope you are doing ok now.

Please
or

Jacketpotato84 · 07/12/2021 15:06

@dimplestoadfoot
That's is so sad what a horrible man, if only he knew what you had done for your boy.
I hope he gets /had his karma for that there was absolutely no need, what goes through some people's head some times is baffling x

Please
or

Youdoyoutoday · 07/12/2021 14:59

@DevonSunsets what the hell did your mother do at the party that got your family member a disciplinary???

Please
or

DevonSunsets · 07/12/2021 14:59

[quote Plopcorn]@DevonSunsets that is truly shocking behaviour. She must be in total denial not to see that she is the one ruining Christmas not you.[/quote]
Ah Plopcorn, you underestimate the ability of people to rewrite the past as they see fit - especially that past that shows them in a very bad light.

I'm sure if you asked every single one of the truly poorly behaved people spoken about on this thread they would happily explain that it not their fault, never their fault.

Please
or

Shallwegoforawalk · 07/12/2021 14:51

Ok I think maybe @DevonSunsets has the worst! Your mother even beats the dead pheasant. I'm ShockShockShock at that list - surely some kind of personality disorder going on there?

Please
or

user290814356289 · 07/12/2021 14:48

We were at at a family members for Christmas. One of my siblings had had an operation a couple of months before and our cousin who was 2 or 3 at the time was running around the table. My sibling who was 17 at the time could see toddler running around the table and stepped in front of him. Cousin ran into surgical scar and landed on the floor and my brother just flipped. Screamed and shouted at him and picked my cousin up by his ankles and threw him onto the sofa.

He was told to leave. He kicked off big time as he was put out the door screaming and shouting at everyone and the "stupid little fucker" that ran into him.

Who speaks to a toddler like that.

My brother is still an arsehole and we don't speak. He hasn't met dd3 and hasn't seen ds10 for 5 years because he's an arsehole. My sister who is just as bad as him was shocked at his behaviour that day.

Please
or

Double3xposure · 07/12/2021 14:40

@MyComputerGetsSadWithoutMe

My sister coming out as gay- NOT because she was gay but because she then had a massive strop and sulk because all everyone said was that it's okay and we love her. She was drunk and wanted drama and for everyone to be shocked 😅

We had exactLy the same, with everyone present over Christmas Dinner including very elderly, very devoutly religious great granny. Everyone was watching her carefully to see her reaction

“ what’s that’s you’re saying dear ?”
“ I’ve got a girlfriend granny”
“ that’s nice dear “
“ No you don’t understand granny, she’s my partner , we’re a couple, we’re lesbians we’re going to get married because we can now it’s called equal marriage but it won’t be in church because the Pope’s a bigot “

etc etc

< everyone holds breath waiting to see if she’s actually going to explain the details of lesbian sex to granny over the dinner table >

“ Thats nice dear , you mean like Betty and Jean who lived next door to us, they were lovely girls “

Cue surprise and a long discussion with all the aunts and uncles in their 50s debating whether or not these neighbours we lived next door to for all of our childhood were indeed a couple.

“ I always though they were sisters “
“ but they had different surnames “
“ I think one was widowed and came to live with her sister “
“ surely they were just old school friends ? “
“ No someone definitely told me Betty was the lodger “
“ But they were at mass every Sunday, did the priest know ? “
“ They used to give us sweets for brining their bins in “
“ remember how she bought us meals when your grandad was ill”
“ what was the names of that little white dog they had? “

Meanwhile the niece who has just “ come out “ sat sulking in the Corner, disappointed at the long dead Betty and jean stealing her thunder.
Please
or

Plopcorn · 07/12/2021 14:39

@DevonSunsets that is truly shocking behaviour. She must be in total denial not to see that she is the one ruining Christmas not you.

Please
or

boxinell · 07/12/2021 14:38

@DevonSunsets wow. That is a LOT. You poor thing. I hope you are doing ok now?

Please
or

eastegg · 07/12/2021 14:05

@DimplesToadfoot

I was a single parent, on my knees financially, with no family of my own I had no help from anyone, the only presents my DS 9yo got were what I bought and it was never much. I scrimped and scraped to buy a remote control car, DS was playing with it on the driveway, the car was on the cusp of the driveway and pavement and had stopped moving, before either I or my son could get to it a man crossed the road and stomped on it, obviously shattering it into pieces. I shouted after the man but I'm disabled I couldn't give chase :-( my son was heartbroken and there was absolutely nothing I could do :-( eventually months later I had the money for another car, he didnt want one :-( Christmas never was the same for my DS after

This is terrible, I’m so sorry. I think I remember a thread about it?

It must have been really upsetting but it’s clear your ds is well loved and that’s the main thing 💐
Please
or

Allsortsofroses · 07/12/2021 14:03

@DillonPanthersTexas

Not so much a Christmas day dust up but extreme CF behaviour in the supermarket. I saw a women start taking packs of sausage meat out of an unattended trolley and place it in her own before quietly moving on. It was a few days before Christmas so lots of basic staples were missing and folk were getting desperate but witnessing the trolley theft really annoyed me. The trolley owners were a couple of pensioners and I just thought of my folks being ripped off. Completely childish behaviour on my part but I followed the CF women around the aisles and sure enough at one point she left her trolley unattended in the 'world foods' aisle and I swapped the sausage meat with a few bags of bombay mix and returned the sausage meat to the original owners.

That made me lol, you're fkg brilliant.
Please
or

Snuggledupforwinter · 07/12/2021 13:59

Many of these Xmasses are truly truly awful Flowers

I have a grown adult BIL who behaves like a toddler and always pulled a "face" upon opening his present, never said thank you for any present we bought him from his expensive gift list he circulated each year! If his own DW didnt get him exactly what he wanted he'd sulk and stop talking to her for a week apparently.
When he ditched exSIL for a younger model we just stopped buying birthday/Xmas cards for him (or the OW) as he never wrote a card or selected a present for either of us in the 30 years he was with ex SIL - she did all the wife work.
Christmas is so much calmer nowadays!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.