Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask the worst behaviour at Christmas you’ve witnessed by an adult?

SoniaFouler · 05/12/2021 18:58

Mine is:

Drunk cousin (24 at the time) shouting and arguing with everyone for most of Boxing Day three years ago, then topped it off when someone told her to stop being stupid by standing up and scraping the entire contents of her dinner plate all over the table and made my aunt cry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsGhastlyCrumb · 12/12/2021 11:32

We had a particularly Gothic Christmas one year when I was about 11. My grandmother died suddenly, thousands of miles away. For some reason my mother felt obliged to still host Christmas Day. My Great Aunt and her usually lovely friend came: they spent the entire time criticising everything. My Aunt essentially told my sister and me that we were extremely unattractive. It was a horrible atmosphere. Finally, right in the middle of the meal itself, Great Aunt turned to my mother, cocked her head to one side and said: "You don't seem terribly upset that your mother died yesterday."

My mum ran off and hid in a cupboard crying for an hour.

My father proceeded to have a bipolar episode and tried to gas us all to death that night. Fortunately my mother woke up, because obviously she wasn't sleeping too well: he was then committed for several months.

Christmas has never really been the same since. (Obviously the only really bad behaviour was that of my aunt.)

Please
or

sueelleker · 12/12/2021 11:27

@SoniaFouler
So she thought you should sit at home feeling miserable that you weren't invited, instead of going out enjoying yourselves?Grin

Please
or

LongWayRound1980 · 12/12/2021 11:20

@Quickchangeartiste

These stories really put my own crappy Christmas tales into perspective.
Seriously hope you all have a lovely Christmas this year. You really deserve them .

I was thinking the same. I thought my own fussy judgey mother was bad enough, but seems like a dream compared to some. I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas if possible!!
Please
or

LongWayRound1980 · 12/12/2021 11:13

@Blueblossombush

Mine was Boxing Day-the kids and I where never invited for Christmas as it was ‘family only’ but my brothers and girlfriends/wives where invited to prove a point

My bloody evil mother summoned me and my children to come round to her house for a cheese board

It was me,my 3 brothers my dad,three girlfriends/wives and my children

I wasn’t keen on any of the cheeses on offer but tried to make the most of it

I picked up a knife to cut some soft garlic cheese and my brother went mental

It was the ‘wrong’ knife and i was worse than a murderer for using it as everyone knew it was the cheddar knife (they where all from the same shitty set of knives)

I offered to wash it and that sparked it all off

It ended in my mother punching me (I ended up with a cracked cheekbone,a bloody nose and two black eyes),my dad screaming at my kids who where sobbing,one brother had to be pulled off me,another brother went for me with a carving knife (thankfully he’s a massive bloke and I’m a much slimmer female so I could move faster) the third brother was stoned and sat in the middle of all this,just scoffing his cheese and the wives and girlfriends pushing me out of the door,screaming at me never to come back as I was a ‘trouble maker’ and that they where going to phone the police for me assaulting them! (I didn’t pay a finger on anyone)

The year later,no invite (I’d gone very lc at this point) so I took the kids to maccys as a treat and we had a mooch round the sales

My mother hit the roof-I wasn’t to go to hers as my brothers had spoken,but I wasn’t to take my own kids out for a treat either-I just went nc at that point

They will never understand why I went nc and I now spend Christmas with my partners family (who have never punched me nor attacked me with a knife)

Omfg. This is insane. So pleased you're nc now. Wow. Sending hugs lol.
Please
or

Bluebelle100 · 12/12/2021 09:51

These threads are brilliant, someone should put them into a book. I could sit and read these for hours as some are hilarious and others gob smacking. Happy Christmas everyone Xmas Smile

Please
or

MrsToothyBitch · 11/12/2021 08:25

SiL, for all her other faults, was victim to some v bad behavior last year. She had split with her awful ex mid Dec last year and moved home. Went with FiL to get her last boxes and do the end of tenancy check out on new years. Ex turned up to do the same with his mum. Demanded SiL bring their 2mo Dd. Ex and his mum literally fall upon baby, cover her in kisses, eat her hands etc. Later, everyone at FiLs house starts feeling iffy inc the baby, the ex sheepishly admits his whole family had all had covid tests just before he saw SiL. His sister had been partying, found out she had been exposed, and came for family Xmas anyway. They felt poorly but decided not to tell SiL and rearrange with the poor EA just doing her job because they didn't want to miss out on seeing the baby.

Luckiky everyone recovered and DP had already come back home so missed it but my youngest BiL still can't taste or smell properly.

Otherwise SiL can be quite tricky herself. DP and I decided last Christmas that we'd have this one just us since we'd missed each other. FiL actually told DP a few months ago - before he knew we'd planned it anyway- to stay away since he had somewhere else nice to be. We think he's anticipating a year of tension with SiL (and jealousy from SiL that we got engaged last month and unknowingly stole her huge, subsequently hinted at xmas-ring-announcement thunder) to blow up and is keeping us out of it. We're having a quiet day, phones off!

Please
or

OwningAllMyMistakes · 11/12/2021 05:45

Christmas 2004 I invited a woman I met in hospital and struck up a friendship with to my home for a few days over the Christmas period during Christmas Day evening things became heated and she became quite hostile and antisocial and she retired to her guest room and stayed there,till she left on Boxing Day before she left she threw things around in the home and as I was back at work Boxing Day my partner was left to put up with her before she left.
Not a great Christmas Day but one I learnt from, bizarrely I found one of her shoes behind a piece of furniture after she left that she threw and left,the things we leave behind eh

Please
or

ThumbWitchesAbroad · 11/12/2021 05:34

[quote NoraEphronsNeck]**@ThumbWitchesAbroad

No he treats my DC absolutely as if they were his own - better than their own father - and all DC are equal in our house.

She is the only fly in the ointment but as I don't see her from one year to the next it's not an issue.[/quote]
Ah that's great to hear - glad he's a good'un!

Please
or

Justilou1 · 11/12/2021 01:41

@SoniaFouler - or you could try reverse psychology and pretend it’s really your favourite, but your DH keeps buying that bloody awful “X” and you have to keep wearing it even though you loathe it.
*Insert name of favourite fragrance. Preferably more expensive.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 10/12/2021 22:47

@SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

”My grandparents also ate all the pigs in blankets the bastards.”

Pigs in blankets for you, *@Arethechildreninbedyet*.

Squeeeee!

They are adorable!
Please
or

Weenurse · 10/12/2021 21:34

@SoniaFouler I know you meant for this to be more light hearted, but this thread has obviously been very cathartic for a lot of people.
Well done for fulfilling an obvious need 💐
I hope some posters realise that they have the power to change things by refusing to engage , to others, I am so sorry this happened to you ❤️

Please
or

TheMoreThisReachesTheMainstrea · 10/12/2021 18:29

Every year without fail they buy me perfume I am allergic to, conveniently it’s SIL’s favourite and she takes it off my hands!

Practice your sleight of hand or declare ‘look! A squirrel’ and replace that perfume with your favourite

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 10/12/2021 17:10

Every year without fail they buy me perfume I am allergic to, conveniently it’s SIL’s favourite and she takes it off my hands!

This year, thank her profusely and tell her you know someone who will absolutely LOVE it!

Refuse to give it to her, even if she screams , cries or threatens.

Alternatively say loudly "This muck!" and pour it down the sink

Please
or

ReginaaPhalange · 10/12/2021 13:38

@JackieWeaverHandforthCouncil hahaha I have the image in my head from friends when joey falls out with his sister when she visits to say she's pregnant and he storms out, then comes back in again and takes the meatball sub and storms back out again haha!!!

Please
or

JackieWeaverHandforthCouncil · 10/12/2021 11:03

Not my story but a friends story. One year her DM and DF had a massive row when Christmas lunch was being served so he grabbed the Turkey and drove off with it in the car. Didn’t return until hours later.

Please
or

MaHBroon · 10/12/2021 10:37

[quote HollyChristmas]@Double3xposure

A big shout out to all the Auntie Rosie's & Eva's out there . A shame they had to live their lives as ' friends '[/quote]
Yes.

My own aunties kept their secret till my mum visited them abroad and they felt safe enough with her to not change their sleeping arrangements.

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 10/12/2021 10:29

@hangrylady

I used to work in an office years ago and there was a very quiet, polite lady who did the accounts, let's call her Jane. On the works Christmas do Jane got hammered and the song You Can Make Me Whole Again by Atomic Kitten was playing. Jane changed the lyrics to You Can Fill My Hole Again and sung her new improved version to all the blokes in the office. Blush

I love this. Go Jane Grin
Please
or

Double3xposure · 10/12/2021 10:26

[quote NoraEphronsNeck]**@Double3xposure

We had two elderly ladies, Auntie Rosie and Auntie Eva, living next door to us growing up with similar scenario that no-one was quite sure what their relationship was.... until they asked my dad if he would mind helping them move some furniture as they were decorating upstairs when all became clear.

They were lovely, strong characters and were so kind to me and my siblings over the years so I was very sad when they passed away - Eva in the late 80s, Rosie a few years later.[/quote]
Maybe you lived in our street ! 😀

Please
or

HollyChristmas · 10/12/2021 10:26

@Double3xposure

A big shout out to all the Auntie Rosie's & Eva's out there . A shame they had to live their lives as ' friends '

Please
or

NoraEphronsNeck · 10/12/2021 10:10

@Double3xposure

We had two elderly ladies, Auntie Rosie and Auntie Eva, living next door to us growing up with similar scenario that no-one was quite sure what their relationship was.... until they asked my dad if he would mind helping them move some furniture as they were decorating upstairs when all became clear.

They were lovely, strong characters and were so kind to me and my siblings over the years so I was very sad when they passed away - Eva in the late 80s, Rosie a few years later.

Please
or

NoraEphronsNeck · 10/12/2021 10:00

@ThumbWitchesAbroad

No he treats my DC absolutely as if they were his own - better than their own father - and all DC are equal in our house.

She is the only fly in the ointment but as I don't see her from one year to the next it's not an issue.

Please
or

NoraEphronsNeck · 10/12/2021 09:56

[quote MaHBroon]@NoraEphronsNeck

Why would your husband have his sister back in the house after what she did to your children?[/quote]
Because she is his only family in the world other than his children as their own parents were both only children of only children.

He did speak to her about it afterwards but I wouldn't want something given begrudgingly anyway. And my children have an enormous amount of family so don't miss it. It was just the fact of doing it right in front of them....

Please
or

ThumbWitchesAbroad · 10/12/2021 09:49

[quote MaHBroon]@NoraEphronsNeck

Why would your husband have his sister back in the house after what she did to your children?[/quote]
I would imagine because it didn't affect his children, which is distressing enough.

I hope he doesn't treat his stepchildren any different than his own children?

Please
or

Nishkin · 10/12/2021 07:44

@hangrylady is it bad that I want to be Jane’s friend

Please
or

BustedCanOfBiscuits · 10/12/2021 06:21

@DevonSunsets

While mild in comparison to some of the terrible Christmases mentioned in this thread....
My mother had a terrible upbringing so wants Christmas to be perfect. However, she is manifestly unable grasp the fact that she is the one ruins Christmas for everyone every single year. The cycle starts mid-November, planning and obsessing over every single detail. So, by the time Christmas week arrives, she is at fever pitch and wound herself so tight. One thing that doesn't go right and BOOM she explodes into temper, gets drunk, screams, has tantrums and makes the day hell for everyone. It doesn’t matter if its Christmas at hers or staying elsewhere being waited on hand and foot - we have tried every variation over the years to try to break this cycle.
Only a few of her gems:
She was so rude and drunk at the In Laws Christmas dinner that she has never been invited back and can’t understand why as she was ‘just a bit tipsy’. (Please note: We warned them but the In-laws insisted she come) The MILDEST thing she did that night was called my Fil the ‘N’ word conversationally because she thought he ‘would be down with that’ and asked about how big he was as she heard that ‘his kind’ were all huge. Asked newlywed guests when they were going to be having babies then scoffed and called them selfish when they said they were remaining child free – stood up and toasted the whole table at them as ‘the smug married selfish couple who were abject a failure in the eyes of every ancestor that ever came before them’ then assaulted the men that evicted her from the In Laws house to a taxi.
She turned up late Christmas Eve at a family members house. While lulled into a false sense of security having very civilised tea and cake the family member excitedly mentioned the kids presents. She advised they were one of a kind super special with treasure hunt all planned as it was a lead in to a big ‘Christmas reveal’ where they were announcing to the kids they were moving abroad. My mother took this announcement personally and it ‘just ruined Christmas’ for her. While saying she was going to the loo decided to show the kids where the presents were hidden. The family member was inconsolable and my mother was smugly unrepentant exclaiming that she was a victim of a terrible misunderstanding and she thought the family member was ‘so worried’ about telling the kids – and she had been ‘trying to help’ by doing it for her.
Turned up hammered and uninvited at a different family members Christmas works party (she thought it would be funny) and caused such a terrible scene the family member was formally disciplined because she was so shocking it just couldn’t go unmarked. My mother felt they were all just being fuddy-duddy’s and they all over reacted plus how they treated her ‘ruined her Christmas’.
Drunk driven several times from friends or relatives’ houses, where she is staying over, after some imagined upset or slight that ‘ruins her Christmas’. She has got such a reputation for doing this no one will invite her anymore and have her be a risk to herself and others (they are not aware she has left to stop her - as she just takes affront and leaves without a word)
Staying in a hotel for Christmas, so didn’t have her car. In fit of temper, after she felt another guest insulted her and ‘ruined her Christmas’, stole a friend of the family’s hire car who was visiting from abroad. Crashed it while drunk - ran away from the scene and denied everything. Lied through her teeth she was elsewhere and caused an administrative nightmare that lasted well over a year for the friend.
She tried to start a physical fight with a neighbour over their decorations (she felt they were trying to show her up and ‘ruined her Christmas’)
Got black out drunk to 'spite us' because we had all requested an alcohol-free Christmas and everyone (including her!) fully agreed. She lost her temper over nothing and drove to get wine then screamed at us that we were trying to control what she could and couldn’t do in her own home and ruined Christmas for her.
Had a pudding not turn out the way she wanted on Christmas Eve, so started early with the temper tantrum and threw it at a wall. Started drinking much earlier than she normally would so had such a severe hangover she slept through Christmas day. We had a wonderful time that year and it was such an eye opener it was the last year she ever had a family Christmas because we realised what we were missing.
Now she is so unhappy and so very lonely - so will tell anyone and everyone how shameful we all are because no one will spend Christmas with her, a poor old lady in her later years shunned by her uncaring unfeeling family.
Her social worker called me once with a medical update (with my mother’s permission) and tried to hint that she's lonely round Christmas time and not going to family / family not coming to her was really getting her down. I had to explain quite firmly that most of the family refuse to speak to her because of past poor behaviour and now we refuse to be guilt tripped into playing happy families at the expense of having a peaceful/ calm Christmas. So, she can stay home on her own thank you very much.

Oh Devon, that was a hard read. I'm so glad you have managed to extricate yourselves from her
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.