Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Random tragic memory found in my old diary **Content Warning** Title edited by MNHQ

cardiologist349275 · 04/12/2021 15:36

Sorry this isn't an AIBU but I didn't know where to put this. I was going through 20+ years of diaries and came across a story my mum told me before she died.

There was a little girl who went to school with my brother. She had a brain tumour. She was extremely unwell but still went to school every day, and one boy was always bullying her and pushing her over in the playground and she would cut her knees open all the time. The teacher was also a nasty bully (this was the 80s so she got away with it for years) and was very cruel to the girl because she had to wear trousers because she couldn't cope with a skirt, but she found the trouser buttons really hard to do up and the teacher would pick on her about it and not help her. She died on the day of the school play aged five.

My Mum was haunted by it and never forgot that little girl who she said was so, so sweet.

To add to the family's tragedy, their other daughter sadly suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and had to live in sheltered accommodation. One day about ten years ago the mother went to visit her, not knowing the daughter was having an episode and had snuck a knife into the flat. She was stabbed to death.

Though I never knew any of these people, I think of them often. Their tragedy has been lost to time, but I think if I remember them then they won't just be....gone.

Does anyone else have any memories of other people that come back to them in a haunting way?

OP's posts:
Please
or

notthemum · 04/12/2021 22:31

@BillyWilliamTheThird

There was a lad at my infant school called Christopher who was the ultimate naughty kid. He was pretty terrifying to be honest but looking back he obviously had some major emotional and social problems.

One day he’d done something wrong at lunchtime so our head mistress got the whole school to stop eating and watch her tell him off. She made him drop his trousers and hit him on his bare bum several times with a table tennis bat. He cried.

It made me cry too, just from the shame and horror of having to watch it. I was maybe six at the time.

After leaving teaching, that head mistress became an arch deaconess for the Church of England.

OMG. This is horrendous. What a vile cow she was. Unbelievable that she became an arch deaconess. I am relieved that things have moved on now. This post made me cry. I have spent a lot of years working with children with what is sometimes referred to as challenging behaviour and autism as some people do not know any better. If he had been my child I'm afraid that I would have been the one in trouble because of what I would have done to her. I don't care if I get shouted for saying that . If there is such a place as Hell she definitely deserves to burn in it.
Please
or

blissfulllife · 04/12/2021 22:26

My best friend at school died in a house fire. The house she was in was torched by vigilantes as the owner was child abuser. No idea why her family allowed her to stay there 😢. It rocked our community. I think about her a lot and light a candle for her

Please
or

Justnotsureaboutit2021 · 04/12/2021 22:26

I knew someone who was killed in the Twin Towers attack. I often think about this guy and the decisions he would have had to have taken to try and save his life. As well as the moment when he realised that nothing was going to save him and that his death was imminent.

Please
or

DeltaFlyer · 04/12/2021 22:20

I worked with a lady who lost her youngest daughter aged 10 in a hit and run, driver never caught. This was the early 70s.
The mother turned to religion, a lot of different ones. She said she had tried to find peace but looked haunted.
She felt that her daughter might have survived if medical attention was given straight away. She was also disgusted that the driver just left and could be anyone she has walked past.
I knew the mother about 30 years after her daughters death and she would tell people little stories about her and always spoke as if her child was still alive and still a very much loved member of the family.
I do hope she found some peace but sadly I doubt it.

Please
or

wincarwoo · 04/12/2021 22:19

Message deleted by MNHQ

Please
or

Waitwhat23 · 04/12/2021 22:17

A boy in my sister's year died of carbon monoxide poisoning - just didn't wake up in the morning. He was 15 and it was just awful. It shocked everyone because it was so sudden. He was a lovely boy.

My great uncle was almost 2 when he died of TB, over a hundred years ago. The family legend is that he had beautiful blond curls and was 'not long for this world'. His mother (my great grandmother) adored him. My Granny was only 6 weeks old when he died and in her mother's overwhelming grief for her son, she found it hard to bond with her new baby - my Granny's relationship with her mother was always strained. My wee one is coming up for two and I think of that wee boy who died so long ago and how hard it must have been for his mum who had to grieve for him while caring for a new born.

Please
or

dohrgitdb · 04/12/2021 22:16

This is a tough read. Nice to know that these children aren’t forgotten Flowers

Please
or

Lifeisbeautiful01 · 04/12/2021 22:13

A little girl who died when I was at primary school. They played ‘Bright Eyes’ for her in assembly and I can’t listen to it without sobbing now.
A boy killed by a cricket ball in the school field after school. He went home laughing and died overnight.
A boy who I am ashamed to say I never spoke to. I think his name was Robert. He used to use the stairs after everyone else as he had poor mobility.He had a very large head and walked slowly and with a limp. I never wanted to pry but I always wanted to speak to him as he had no friends at school.
Life in the 1980s was so different- it’s hard to comprehend.

Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 04/12/2021 22:09

G was my friend’s elder brother. He had a “hole in his heart” and died when we were about 5.

B was in my French class when I was about 14 and acted very, very strangely for a few days. She was then off school for a short while before we heard she had a brain tumour, and she died. It seemed such a waste.

E was my mum’s neighbour’s granddaughter, and was the same age as my DS. She died of meningitis when she was 6. The funeral was covered on TV, I think because there were a lot of cases and new vaccines were just being introduced.

I think of them all.

Please
or

Idontbelieveit14 · 04/12/2021 22:08

I remember a little girl from my primary school who was very small and had yellow skin and an NG tube, i presume she must have had something wrong with her liver. I think she was a bit younger than me but my friend lived near her so we used to go round and play with her, from what I remember she couldn’t walk. I’ve no idea what happened to her.

I also remember a boy from primary school a few years older than me who was in a wheelchair. I realise now he had Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy and he passed away as a teenager.

A boy who was the year below me at secondary school died in an avalanche while climbing a few years ago - age 24.

A boy who was the year above me died from undiagnosed heart condition while competing in a triathlon age 27.

Please
or

julieca · 04/12/2021 21:57

Jim who was in my primary school class. He seemed a nice lad but wouldn't do any work. One year we had a horrible teacher who I remember saying to me that she didn't care that Jim didn't do any work, because he didn't cause any problems. I was shocked. He must have been about 9 years old, she should have cared about him.

Please
or

TitoMojito · 04/12/2021 21:55

I knew a girl in my teenage years, a best friend of one of my best friends. We didn’t see each other often but I was devastated when she announced she had cancer, and even more devastated when she died. I still think about her a lot. When it gets to a milestone in my life, it occurs to me that she'll never have those milestones. Breaks my heart every time.

Please
or

ClareBlue · 04/12/2021 21:53

Emma who I was friends with for the first 18 years of our lives and went to South Africa on holiday and was run over and killed. 35 years ago but I still remember exact conversations we had.

Please
or

catscatscurrantscurrants · 04/12/2021 21:52

My older brother had a friend when he was in his teens, this young lad's parents had had him late in life when they thought they'd never have kids, and he was their whole world. He was a lovely lad who came to our house quite a bit. When he was 17 he bought a motorbike, went out one day for a ride and was killed when he lost control and hit a wall. It was such a tragedy and it must have destroyed his mum and dad.

Please
or

heelforheelandtoefortoe · 04/12/2021 21:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

CaputApriDefero · 04/12/2021 21:43

A couple of weeks ago I was rear ended in stationary traffic by a man on his phone. My car was forced into the one in front and ended up being written off. Lots of soft tissue injuries for me- neck, shoulders, knee, elbow, wrist- and a concussion. The noise and the shock of being hit by a vehicle was horrendous and all I could think about for days was my ex boyfriend's best mate. When he was 23 he was driving home from university- literally driving home as he had just finished his final semester and he was hit head on by a drunk driver and killed about half a mile from his house on a blind turn. The other driver was on the wrong side of the road without any headlights on. At his funeral, someone said the doctor had told his parents that he wouldn't have felt anything, all he would have had time to even register was the sound before he wasn't living anymore. That sound must have been deafening and terrifying and he must have known, in that split second, that it was over for him.

Also, an incredibly beautiful girl I went to college with was diagnosed with a rare liver tumour at 20 that she was told was in remission after four years but then returned and though she battled hard it eventually took her life. What I will always remember is her posting about trying alternative therapy because chemo hadn't worked and how she felt really positive that she was going to live, it would save her and that she wasn't ready to die. She died a few weeks later, just before she turned 30. A third of her life was spent fighting cancer and she was just so desperate to live.

Please
or

GreenWhiteViolet · 04/12/2021 21:42

Not about death, but another person I'm always reminded of at this time of year.

I'm autistic and very much fit the 'little professor' stereotype in primary school. So of course aged 5 or 6 I took it upon myself to tell everyone I could on the playground that Santa wasn't real and was scientifically impossible. The 'naughty boy' of the class took me aside and explained to me that he knew the truth, too, but even though we were right it was nicer not to tell the others. I didn't really understand, but he persevered. Looking back, he was late/absent a lot and dressed quite shabbily, and I suspect he knew because his parents couldn't or didn't get him 'Santa' presents. Having that kind of emotional awareness at such a young age was quite something, though, and I hope his life got better.

Please
or

MrsRussell · 04/12/2021 21:41

When I was in my early 20s and going clubbing, me and my friend at the time used to attract every weirdo in Manchester.
There was one particular boy in the Ritz who didn't speak in sentences: he used to make childish noises, he used to come up and pat you on the head and do weird dog impressions, sit on the floor at your feet and get you to pat him on the head. He smelt rather badly of dirty hair and teenage boys and we used to avoid the bugger like the plague.
He called himself Squeak, anyway, he used to come up and say hopefully "Squeak's pal?" whilst trying to get you to pat him on the head.
It turned out he had been a perfectly ordinary young man until his mum had died in traumatic circumstances, and after that he sort of turned into...Squeak. I wish I knew whether he un-Squeaked eventually - he was a dear soul when he wasn't trying to be a dog.

Please
or

Daisy95 · 04/12/2021 21:39

My brothers friends drowned whilst on holiday with his family. Only 6 at the time. We went to his funeral, this is the first time I realised not just old people died. My brother took a while to get back into water after this.

My cousin died in a car crash just after passing his driving test. A year later his best friend ( who I was close too) died in a car accident too, actually survived the crash but got hit by a car trying to get out. It affected my whole family so much. My other cousin who was close with both of these boys still isn't the same person he used to be. His laugh isn't the same.

A girl who I went to dance school with hung herself. She was a beautiful soul.

Whilst on holiday for my wedding, a little boy drowned in the swimming pool. Me and my husband tried everything we could (nurses) but we unfortunately couldn't do anything to bring him back. His mums screams and pleads still haunt me. I can hear it clear as day.

I think about them all regularly.

Please
or

Pascal80 · 04/12/2021 21:34

My best friend at infants and junior school was called Wendy (a common name in the 1960s for girls because of Peter Pan). She went to visit her Dad in Singapore in the summer holidays. Her Dad was a businessman working there.

She died falling off the top of a tower block. She was ten. No more information ever came out about it. I can still see her laughing with her long gold plaits and Black Watch tartan kilt. That was 48 years ago.

Please
or

ReginaaPhalange · 04/12/2021 21:33

A girl I went to primary and secondary school with had cystic fibrosis. Absolutely beautiful girl and always smiling. She was off quite a bit as she didn't keep well. I remember just after finishing school, it was in the paper that she had died on the operating table for her life changing lung transplant. So so sad. She was robbed of her future. She was only 17. Her mum died a couple of years later too and I often think of the family, especially at Christmas.

Please
or

ddl1 · 04/12/2021 21:24

I spent a certain amount of time in hospital as a kid, and knew children who were never going to live to grow up. There was one girl on my ward in particular who became a friend. She gave me two little woollen dolls as a present. Less than a month later, she had an operation for a congenital heart defect, and never woke up. She was 8. She would probably have survived nowadays. I still have those dolls, and I still think of her.

Please
or

TakeMe2Insanity · 04/12/2021 21:19

I was 5 years old, so 1981. We were crossing the road at Liberty the lady in front of me was knocked over in front of me. It’s stayed with me. I pass by frequently and think about her. I don’t know she was, but her face has stayed in my mind.

Please
or

dunkery · 04/12/2021 21:16

I have never forgotten a little girl called Julia who came to our small junior school. Before she came we were told that she had a bad heart and we shouldn't chase her or frighten her by jumping out suddenly as she was fragile. She was 6 years old and a sweet little thing, blonde and very pale and we were all very protective to her. About 6months later she went into hospital for a heart operation and we were told in assembly that she had died. It was the first time anyone that young that I knew had died.
Later I was a similar age to the children who died in the aberfan disaster and it always upsets me on the anniversary.

Please
or

MerryMarigold · 04/12/2021 21:14

I remember Justin from my primary school. I don't remember anyone else from that school as I was only there for a couple of terms. He always smelled of wee and had a constant runny nose, which I can still see in my mind's eye. I was 9 so we were not little kids. I often wonder what happened to him and what kind family life he had, and I hope he was ok in the long run.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.