Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Random tragic memory found in my old diary **Content Warning** Title edited by MNHQ

cardiologist349275 · 04/12/2021 15:36

Sorry this isn't an AIBU but I didn't know where to put this. I was going through 20+ years of diaries and came across a story my mum told me before she died.

There was a little girl who went to school with my brother. She had a brain tumour. She was extremely unwell but still went to school every day, and one boy was always bullying her and pushing her over in the playground and she would cut her knees open all the time. The teacher was also a nasty bully (this was the 80s so she got away with it for years) and was very cruel to the girl because she had to wear trousers because she couldn't cope with a skirt, but she found the trouser buttons really hard to do up and the teacher would pick on her about it and not help her. She died on the day of the school play aged five.

My Mum was haunted by it and never forgot that little girl who she said was so, so sweet.

To add to the family's tragedy, their other daughter sadly suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and had to live in sheltered accommodation. One day about ten years ago the mother went to visit her, not knowing the daughter was having an episode and had snuck a knife into the flat. She was stabbed to death.

Though I never knew any of these people, I think of them often. Their tragedy has been lost to time, but I think if I remember them then they won't just be....gone.

Does anyone else have any memories of other people that come back to them in a haunting way?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lollipoprainbow · 05/12/2021 09:29

My mum remembers when the boys school in Petworth was bombed during the war, she had been evacuated there to stay with her auntie. The Bomb had been meant for Petworth House but missed and got the school instead. So many boys were killed along with a teacher and a laundry assistant. She took me when I was older to see the mass grave in the local church. So so haunting to see, will never forget that.

Please
or

tearsforfears72 · 05/12/2021 09:10

That should say, one day

Please
or

tearsforfears72 · 05/12/2021 09:10

Lisa Hession. She was a few years older than me, murdered walking home from a party nearly 40 years ago now. I think about her frequently and about how much of life she missed out on due to someone’s unspeakable cruelty. I hope one far justice will come for her.

Please
or

TheLovelinessOfBaublyDemons · 05/12/2021 09:05

@mnp321

I met a girl who'd come to the U.K. from Australia for a heart and lung transplant due to CF. We were both teenagers so spent quite some time together while she was waiting to be called up.

She had the transplant, did brilliantly afterwards but sadly died a year or so later. Her and her parents were so positive about uprooting their life to give her that chance.

This really touched me as my adult son has CF. They were so lucky to have the money to fly over. Even a few years extra is so valuable.
Please
or

orangejuicer · 05/12/2021 06:21

A guy murdered his family and then killed himself. The eldest son sat behind me in A-level History class. He never got his results and he was so bright. I think about him quite often. This was 1999ish.

Please
or

Myshitisreal · 05/12/2021 06:15

Actually I was rude because I thought your reply was patronising 😔

Let's draw a line under it - insomnia confusion. Sorry.

My point was Gaol might be used a lot in Ireland, maybe Australia but its not (on my experience) a common spelling in the uk.

Please
or

thickthighs73 · 05/12/2021 06:05

No need to be so bloody rude! I was curious myself so just C & P from Google

Please
or

Myshitisreal · 05/12/2021 06:02

No need for the lesson thanks. I'm very aware of what it means 🙄.

Please
or

thickthighs73 · 05/12/2021 05:57

@Myshitisreal

"gaol" suggests possibly not uk.

Gaol is an alternative spelling of jail, and it means the same thing. Historically, gaol was predominant in British English until roughly 1935, at which point jail became the more popular option.
Please
or

Myshitisreal · 05/12/2021 05:41

"gaol" suggests possibly not uk.

Please
or

ClaudiaJ1 · 05/12/2021 04:40

@Nittersing

I remember a large family, very, very hard up. All with social/emotional issues. Six children living with just their dad who didn't work. All of them looked tiny, underfed and in need of a bath and clean clothes. The one I particularly remember was feisty and often in trouble at school. I felt really bad for him as he was often picked on and had difficulty making friends. Later, we realised that they were the children of a terrible (female) serial killer who was now in gaol. Those poor children. They also all look very much like their mother so the connection is easy to see. 🙁😪

@Nittersing I can only find 3 female UK serial killers, Myra Hindley (no children), Rosemary West (Fred was in jail at the same time so can't have been the father of this story) and Joanna Dennehy only has 2 children not 6. Is there another female serial killer in the UK that has never been publicised or is the one you are referring to in another country?
Please
or

Nat6999 · 05/12/2021 03:28

A little girl who was in ds class when he started school was severely disabled, she was in a wheelchair, had to be tube fed & had a tracheostomy. One playtime she became severely ill & died in the playground while her carer was helping a child who had fallen down. Ds witnessed it as he often sat & talked to her at playtime, he was 6 years old & it still haunts him now at 17. Nothing was said at school but we got a text to say that school was closed the next day, then ds told me that she had been poorly & in his words she got covered in snow & ice. He still gets upset about it now, we were looking at his class photos with her on & he sat & sobbed.

Please
or

DeadoftheMoon · 05/12/2021 03:17

The 'butcher's boy', delivered the meat on Saturday mornings. Blue eyes, curly blond hair, seventeen. His Saturday job paid for his moped. Which he came off and died. Around 1975. I can see his face now, if I think of him.

Pupil,14, died of cancer, my 'right hand man' - I'm expecting him to come for me at the end of life. Pupil, 14, murdered by 'boyfriend', body found before her mother reported her missing. Pupil knocked down, died; her sister knocked down only weeks later, survived. Brother's friend, died of cancer in his twenties. Neighbour committed suicide under a train, allegedly because I didn't love him (I hardly knew him). Former pupil, 28, came to Parents Evening about another family member, told me that one of his children had died; to me, he was only a child himself, but he of course lived his adult life, and suffered an adult's heartbreak. Classmate 12 or 13, dragged under an articulated lorry and his skull crushed; his best friend crying the next morning when he told the teacher why A hadn't turned up for school. 'Friend' sexually abused by her father, as were her three siblings - it was discovered and they moved away; as an adult, saw her on television talking about it. Former pupil, sweet and beautiful, died of cancer, mid-twenties.

My mother always remembered her childhood friend, who wore red hair-ribbons. Around 1938. They had a sleepover and the friend told my mum 'there are people in the corner of the room, they've come to get you'. The next day, after my mum had gone home, her friend fell downstairs and died. My mum told me 'It wasn't me they'd come for!' But, she was sad about her friend, and superstitious, so I was never allowed to wear red ribbons.

I didn't read the thread when I first saw it - but yes, I do remember and it's worth sharing.

And having totally outed myself, I'll name-change in the morning.

Please
or

DisneyDrop · 05/12/2021 02:51

A very good friend of mine, his younger sister was killed abroad and put in a suitcase and dumped in the river

His dad had committed suicide when the children were little

And last Christmas his brother committed suicide

Him and his mum are massively struggling and i feel so sad for them

Please
or

WaterAndRichTea · 05/12/2021 02:13

I remember when i was little, we had neighbours down stairs, on the day they moved out the mum told my mum that she was the only person who had ever been nice to her in her whole life. Still makes me sad

Please
or

13yearslater · 05/12/2021 02:12

@Bubblecap

My friends sister Suzanne died as a teenager from cancer. I have had a very difficult life, suffered a child dying myself a few years ago and had a very abusive childhood. If I ever feel really sorry for myself I always think Suzanne died so young she didn’t get to experience anything the good or even the bad.

Flowers to you Bubble. I'm very sorry for your loss. x
Please
or

TheLovelinessOfBaublyDemons · 05/12/2021 01:59

[quote ninnynonny]@shortpoet. No, I was in an East Anglian village - H.[/quote]
Unless there's more than one East Anglian village beginning with H, which there probably is, that's near where my grandad was born.

Please
or

PufferFish · 05/12/2021 01:46

Bubblecap Flowers

Please
or

Mishuckliza · 05/12/2021 01:34

Was this boy Gary?

Please
or

Careve · 05/12/2021 01:27

There was a girl in our school who didn’t fit in.
She was painfully shy, sat on her own in lessons and the other kids thought she was odd.
One day, getting off the school bus, she was killed by a passing car. I often wish I’d have made more of an effort and been a friend to her.
If we’d have been friends, maybe should have hung out with our group after school and not caught that bus. It pains me now that I don’t remember her surname 25 yrs later.
There was also a boy I fancied at school and never told (he was my friend’s brother), after leaving school, he got into debt and ended up hanging himself. I wish I’d have stayed in touch with him.
Finally, another girl from school died in a car crash when she was on her way back to Uni.
3 classmates all died before the age of 18.
I think about them all regularly.

Please
or

oakleaffy · 05/12/2021 01:11

As if we need MORE horror and despair after the recent threads...
What's the point of it?

Is it voyeurism?
Wallowing in another's ghastly misfortunes?
The recent case has been all over the news, but these gratuitous tales haven't.
Too depressing for words.

Please
or

OnceUponAMidnightBeery · 05/12/2021 01:06

This thread is heartbreaking, but it’s so good that they are still remembered Flowers

I still think of those I grew up or knew most days. Kate especially.

Please
or

Walkoflife · 05/12/2021 01:04

first year of secondary school so were age 11/12,
A girl in my year Katie killed herself took an overdose due to being bullied.

I never really knew her well but she seemed so happy and full of life and he had lots of friends.

It’s so sad thinking what her family must have gone through ☹️

Please
or

Eggshausted · 05/12/2021 01:02

I often think of a girl who was murdered near where my gran lived.I didn’t know her, but it was all over the media.Her name was Claire Tiltman and she was only 16. She was an only child and my heart broke for that family group that went from 3 to 2. They finally convicted the scumbag who did it.over 20 years later, sadly both her parents died before justice was done. I think of them every time I go past that alleyway.

Please
or

Nittersing · 05/12/2021 01:01

I remember a large family, very, very hard up. All with social/emotional issues. Six children living with just their dad who didn't work. All of them looked tiny, underfed and in need of a bath and clean clothes. The one I particularly remember was feisty and often in trouble at school. I felt really bad for him as he was often picked on and had difficulty making friends. Later, we realised that they were the children of a terrible (female) serial killer who was now in gaol. Those poor children. They also all look very much like their mother so the connection is easy to see. 🙁😪

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.