Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdresser refusing appointment for DC

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 12:16

I have been going to the same hairdresser every 6 weeks for years, My DC's 5 and 2 usually come with me every second visit for tidy up/trims. DS in particular has very curly hair and after a while his hair is totally wild, I always book appointments for them same time as me.
Last visit for when l tried to rebook for us all just before Christmas l was told that they were not doing any childrens hair for the month of December,.
Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

grapewine · 04/12/2021 12:52

I do think they have a right to change their policy, but if I'd been such a regular customer I'd be disappointed. Maybe look for another salon for all of you.

Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 12:52

@girlmom21

I agree *@nancy75* - I suppose I just wasn't really sure if they'd be allowed to do it with OAP's

Many places only offer OAP or student rates during the week for this very reason - because they're not profitable jobs otherwise.
Please
or

BungleandGeorge · 04/12/2021 12:52

I agree the best thing would be to say full price haircuts only in December. Give you the option. My kids used to take about 5 minutes for a cut but if they’d had lots of curly hair that took ages and really needed cutting I wouldn’t object to full price

Please
or

Arethechildreninbedyet · 04/12/2021 12:51

@bellamountain

I'd find a new hairdresser. I think it's poor service.

This.

Since when was a child’s haircut less important? He’s no less one of her regulars than anyone else. They want adult appointments because they can charge more in the run up to Christmas.

I’d find a new hairdresser OP, she’s shown you how much she values your repeat service!
Please
or

Theunamedcat · 04/12/2021 12:50

I understand where your coming from your loyalty obviously extends to them because you continued to use them after lockdown but where is the loyalty to you as a customer Christmas people won't be loyal customers most the time and while it pays the bill this month what happens in January February march?

It feels short sighted

Please
or

Gretaburley · 04/12/2021 12:49

@Idontevenknow

I actually agree with you OP. I think as a business having this policy for new clients is fine. However, as a regular customer, who goes every 6 weeks for years, I think is different.

This ^^
They don't value you as a long standing client.
Be different if you hadn't been before.
Please
or

CovidFreeChristmas · 04/12/2021 12:49

If they're 5 & 2 do it yourself at home. I wouldn't dare cut straight hair but cut my 9yo dd and 3 yo ds corkscrew curls at home.

Please
or

BungleandGeorge · 04/12/2021 12:48

It’s a bit poor for a regular, especially as they didn’t make you aware in November when presumably your last appointment was. Did they cancel the booking you’d already made?

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 04/12/2021 12:48

@RiskyReels

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd have thought if they wanted to maximize income this month and had customers waiting, they'd extend their hours a bit and fit everyone in. Their policy risks them losing long-standing customers to other more accommodating hairdressers. If your business is going to the wall and December is the most lucrative month, surely a bit of overtime is a no-brainer?

How do you know they're not already doing that with the haircuts that make them the most profit?
Please
or

MintMatchmaker · 04/12/2021 12:48

Our hairdressers is the same. I don’t blame them as adult cuts are a more profitable service. I usually take my children after school late November.

Please
or

ThinWomansBrain · 04/12/2021 12:48

if you feel that you're not being treated appropriately as a regular customer, your choice to go elsewhere.
as PP's have pointed out, £15 is less revenue than they'd get for a non-wriggly adult's cut. If they've made a blanket decision of no children in December, how do they explain it to others if they make an exception for yours?

Please
or

AuntMargo · 04/12/2021 12:47

I totally see where you are coming from and would also be disgruntled - clearly they have no regard for loyalty. Take them and yourself elsewhere in future.

Please
or

Whatwouldscullydo · 04/12/2021 12:47

Nobody is entitled to an appointment, it’s their business - they can do what they like.
Can people really not see why, right before Christmas, they might want to make a bit more money?

You make far more money long term from regulars who also do pass on their recommendations to friends and family than u do with the ine off last minute appointment bookers using a voucher they git for their birthday or a discount code off the website.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 12:47

I agree @nancy75 - I suppose I just wasn't really sure if they'd be allowed to do it with OAP's

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 04/12/2021 12:46

@girlmom21

I understand what people are saying about the price difference, and I completely agree, but would we just accept it if they said no over 65's for the month of December?

They could say 'no price subsidised hair cuts' rather than specify the demographic I suppose.
Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 12:45

@girlmom21

I understand what people are saying about the price difference, and I completely agree, but would we just accept it if they said no over 65's for the month of December?

If they offer £15 haircuts for over 65s they would be well within their rights to say no £15 cuts in December. If the op wanted to pay the full adult price for the cut I’m sure they wouldn’t care how old the child was & would do the cut. The issue clearly isn’t his age, it’s the price of the cut.
Please
or

Aprilx · 04/12/2021 12:45

@storminateacupagain

DS's hair is awfully curly- his cut was due mid December but was refused an appointment and by January ( they reopen 12th January) his cut will be 5 weeks overdue. DD would be fine.
I guess l will take him elsewhere- they charge £15 per visit so it is not as if it is a cheap visit.

So it is a cheap visit….
Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 04/12/2021 12:45

Fgs, yabu.

They can set whatever rules they want, it's up to them entirely.

It always makes me laugh when entitled people like op and others on this thread humph 'well, I'll take my business elsewhere' 😂😂as if the business aren't merrily waving you off very happy you're taking your business elsewhere. For, rather bleeding obviously, if they wanted your business, they'd accommodate you.

Please
or

SW1amp · 04/12/2021 12:45

£15 is incredibly cheap

No wonder they don’t want to clog up their diaries with cut price appointments, especially for hair types that are tricky to cut

Please
or

Viviennemary · 04/12/2021 12:43

Its a bit cheeky if you are a regular customer. Take your business elsewhere if you feel strongly. Hairdressers have had a bad time over lockdow

Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 12:43

Nobody is entitled to an appointment, it’s their business - they can do what they like.
Can people really not see why, right before Christmas, they might want to make a bit more money?

Please
or

Cafog · 04/12/2021 12:42

I agree with you OP would also take my custom elsewhere for both mine and my kids hair They're happy enough to take your money every other time of the year and imo £15 for a child's haircut astronomical!!!

Please
or

TruffleShuffles · 04/12/2021 12:42

Who is watching your children while you are having your hair done OP? Is the issue that there will two children wandering about an extremely busy salon around Christmas?

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 12:41

Please
or

Nanny0gg · 04/12/2021 12:40

@RiskyReels

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd have thought if they wanted to maximize income this month and had customers waiting, they'd extend their hours a bit and fit everyone in. Their policy risks them losing long-standing customers to other more accommodating hairdressers. If your business is going to the wall and December is the most lucrative month, surely a bit of overtime is a no-brainer?

Not always possible

What if they need childcare and there's none?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.