Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdresser refusing appointment for DC

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 12:16

I have been going to the same hairdresser every 6 weeks for years, My DC's 5 and 2 usually come with me every second visit for tidy up/trims. DS in particular has very curly hair and after a while his hair is totally wild, I always book appointments for them same time as me.
Last visit for when l tried to rebook for us all just before Christmas l was told that they were not doing any childrens hair for the month of December,.
Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Georgyporky · 04/12/2021 13:08

Take him to a barber - it will be a lot cheaper & usually a walk-in service.

Please
or

trumpisagit · 04/12/2021 13:08

Give it a go yourself (which presumably you had to do over lockdown).

My older teenager insists on the barbers now but I cut his hair for over a decade, and saved a lot of money.
If you are just trimming it isn't that difficult with a decent pair of scizzors.

Please
or

DirtyDancing · 04/12/2021 13:07

I actually think it's rubbish for regular clients. If you know them and you go every 6 weeks.

Please
or

Whatwouldscullydo · 04/12/2021 13:07

As for the lockdown excuses hairdressers have been open most of this year so that excuse is really wearing thin. I'm a bit dramatic so I personally wouldn't go back there now

Yy. Covid has become and excuse for shit service and shit attitudes and shit availability. And now we actively tell people that they are in the wrong expecting to be able to do something as basic as getting a hair cut at a hair dressers that's open , and receiving the service they claim to provide and have a price for.

Please
or

MsFogi · 04/12/2021 13:06

OP - are you willing to pay for a full price adult appointment for your DCs? If not, then you need to accept that for December your hairdresser needs to prioritise their profits/business over your DCs' delightful hair/your sense of entitlement. Lots of people go to the hairdresser every 6 weeks - I don't think this makes you a star client.

Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 13:06

@LethargicActress

I’d be pissed off in your situation and would start looking for a new hairdresser. They are just being money grabbing with this rule, with no shits given about providing a good service to regular clients, that have probably been tipping them for years.

Fuck them, they don’t deserve your business.

Money grabbing also known as running a profitable business!

I presume all of you would be happy to accept less money in your wages just to keep a customer happy?
Please
or

lliitttlepiinkhouse · 04/12/2021 13:05

I get that they want to maximise their time and income but it's shitty to do that to loyal customers.

It would make more sense to open a little later or for an extra day in the weeks running up to Christmas.

After Christmas the loyal customers who bring their kids might have gone elsewhere and not look back.

Please
or

MrsMiddleMother · 04/12/2021 13:03

Yanbu and are getting an unnecessary rough time on here. It is shocking they're refusing kids haircuts for december, its not as if it takes too long and most parents want their kids to tidy up for Xmas
As for the lockdown excuses hairdressers have been open most of this year so that excuse is really wearing thin. I'm a bit dramatic so I personally wouldn't go back there now.

Please
or

1forAll74 · 04/12/2021 13:03

Can you not trim his hair up a bit yourself ?

Please
or

LethargicActress · 04/12/2021 13:03

I’d be pissed off in your situation and would start looking for a new hairdresser. They are just being money grabbing with this rule, with no shits given about providing a good service to regular clients, that have probably been tipping them for years.

Fuck them, they don’t deserve your business.

Please
or

Theunamedcat · 04/12/2021 13:02

@user1471457751

One or two adult appointments in December will bring in more for the hairdresser than your children over the entire year. You spend £120 per year on kids haircuts (2children x £15 cut x 4 visits a year). I can see why they are prioritising adults right now.

Isn't every six weeks eight visits a year?
Please
or

Cheerbear24 · 04/12/2021 13:01

I’d be miffed too, as you are regulars. I bet as soon as parties start getting cancelled so do the ‘expensive’ appointments.

Please
or

ConcernedAuntie · 04/12/2021 13:00

Or, maybe it's because Covid is rife in young children and they don't want to risk catching it, having to isolate and having no income.

Please
or

Theunamedcat · 04/12/2021 13:00

Who says they have to look after her children?

Everyone is making massive assumptions here that the hairdressers are babysitting the child's hair is styled and complicated for all anyone knows the hairdressers could be charging £15 to buzz cut him and he could be an absolute angel

Please
or

user1471457751 · 04/12/2021 13:00

One or two adult appointments in December will bring in more for the hairdresser than your children over the entire year. You spend £120 per year on kids haircuts (2children x £15 cut x 4 visits a year). I can see why they are prioritising adults right now.

Please
or

Whatwouldscullydo · 04/12/2021 12:59

Since when was a child’s haircut less important? He’s no less one of her regulars than anyone else. They want adult appointments because they can charge more in the run up to Christmas

Presumably it's it's their own.bloody pricing in the first place. If they aren't making any money or the appointments run at a loss its up to them to re structure their price lists surely? Makes more sense than telling customers they suddenly can't have an appointment for a service they claim to provide at a price they set themselves.

Please
or

853ax · 04/12/2021 12:59

Hairdressers I go to won't take children appointments ever, if call in and not busy they might do them. Few times a year they have open evening for children hair cuts no appointment or charge but they select a charity and have donation boxes.

Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 12:58

@Butchyrestingface

I'm tended to agree with OP. I'm a bit uncomfortable with a service provider suddenly deciding they're not going to provide a service to a whole section of society based on their age for a month.

I bet if OP offered to pay adult price, it wouldn't be an issue.

Lots of places don't allow you to use discounts or deals during busy periods. It's why the vast majority of 2-4-1 type offers are during the week - eg. Meerkat movies etc.
Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 04/12/2021 12:58

I agree with you OP and I left my regular hairdresser and told them why for this reason. Apparently customer loyalty means nothing.

Please
or

SolasAnla · 04/12/2021 12:58

If the business is discriminating on the basis of age it's unlawful.

So a blanket ban on "children" is unlawful when children are offered the service at other times of the year.
Pricing a service at a different/ adult rate is not unlawful.

On a customer service level if you always get the children's hair done with yours it's poor planning on their part not to warn you in advance.
You are 8/9 visits a year and should be valued as a repeat customer.

Please
or

insancerre · 04/12/2021 12:56

The hairdresser is trying to tell you that they don’t want to have to look after your kids while you have your hair done
Just book separate slots- one for you and one for the kids

Please
or

Meadowbreeze · 04/12/2021 12:56

£15 is very cheap for what sounds like quite a technical haircut due to your child's hair. Not doing kids haircuts in december is pretty common in salons so I think you may struggle to find somewhere else.

Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 12:56

@Butchyrestingface

I'm tended to agree with OP. I'm a bit uncomfortable with a service provider suddenly deciding they're not going to provide a service to a whole section of society based on their age for a month.

But it’s not based on their age - I’m sure if op offered to pay the price of an adult cut they would book him in.
Loads of places stipulate that vouchers/offers/discounts can’t be used at their busiest times - this is no different
Please
or

ChrissyPlummer · 04/12/2021 12:55

I’m astounded that they don’t reopen until half way through January!

Please
or

Butchyrestingface · 04/12/2021 12:53

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.