Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdresser refusing appointment for DC

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 12:16

I have been going to the same hairdresser every 6 weeks for years, My DC's 5 and 2 usually come with me every second visit for tidy up/trims. DS in particular has very curly hair and after a while his hair is totally wild, I always book appointments for them same time as me.
Last visit for when l tried to rebook for us all just before Christmas l was told that they were not doing any childrens hair for the month of December,.
Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 13:32

@DeclineandFall

Their business so if they want to fuck their regulars off then they can. Which is idiotic.
The most diplomatic way for them to do this is to say we have been fully booked for December for months but if we get a cancellation we'll let you know. They will get cancellations I suspect as Christmas dos get cancelled, and more people get covid.

But if they were "fully booked", they wouldn't have been able to offer OP an appointment either.

It's totally normal for businesses to only offer concessions during quiet periods of the week/month/year. I really don't know why MN gets so offended about businesses needing to make money, lol.
Please
or

lliitttlepiinkhouse · 04/12/2021 13:31

Would you be ok with forced overtime if your employer suddenly gets really busy?

Can you find the bit where I said anyone would be forced to work over time?

A good employer would ask staff and arrange these things in advance, and try avoid turning away customers.

Please
or

luverlybubberly · 04/12/2021 13:30

Yanbu to be annoyed but you have the choice to take your money elsewhere.

I have a teenage boy who has his hair cut by a barber on the day that under 16s are a tenner. He'd rather go at the weekend but it's double then so until he's 16, he'll be going off peak.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 13:29

@icedcoffees it makes perfect sense, and there are millions of businesses that do it now you've mentioned it. I think i was having a dense moment Grin

Please
or

Roominmyhouse · 04/12/2021 13:29

Laughing at the person who said kids hair cuts only take 10 mins. Yes if they have fine hair and are angels and sit still, but in reality they can take as long as an adult hair cut.

The salon I worked in over 20 years ago had a blanket no kids haircuts on a Saturday unless they paid full adult price. It would be more reasonable to say that rather then no kids cuts at all. But at the end of the day it’s their business and if that’s what they want to do then it’s up to them.

Please
or

JinglingHellsBells · 04/12/2021 13:29

Buy some scissors @storminateacupagain and cut it yourself if it's that urgent.

I can see your hairdresser's viewpoint. Children take up precious appts in December and they make very little from the time spent on them.

Please
or

Newnormal99 · 04/12/2021 13:29

My hairdressers won't do childrens hair on Fridays or Saturdays at all!

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 13:28

@DeclineandFall

Their business so if they want to fuck their regulars off then they can. Which is idiotic.
The most diplomatic way for them to do this is to say we have been fully booked for December for months but if we get a cancellation we'll let you know. They will get cancellations I suspect as Christmas dos get cancelled, and more people get covid.

If they were going to do that they'd have had to tell OP there were no appointments for her either so they'd lose out on her custom. And then if OP's friend phones for an appointment a week later and gets given one they'd look much worse for lying than making a business decision.
Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 13:28

@girlmom21

Oh thanks *@icedcoffees*. I'm the kind of person who has my hair cut once a year and go to an overpriced walk in salon (thanks anxiety!) so didn't realise concession prices aren't always available.

Yeah, it's very common for concessions to only be available at off-peak times (before 6pm and during the week only, for example). Because it's a good way of getting people in the door at times where they'd otherwise be very quiet.

But at weekends, they know they can get people paying full-price, so why would they offer all the discounts?
Please
or

DeclineandFall · 04/12/2021 13:26

Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 13:26

@arethereanyleftatall

On these threads there's always a split between people who either run their own business and/or have an understanding of economics and commerce; and those who haven't got a clue yet still have strong opinions to share with what a business should do. I'm 100% sure the business owner themselves is acutely aware of what does and doesn't render them profits.

Exactly this.

Lots of businesses offer things at a "loss" because they re-coup money elsewhere. Cinema tickets for example - they have loads of mid-week offers because they'll make up the money via sales of popcorn, drinks, ice-cream, pic n mix etc.

They offer childrens' haircuts cheaply because it's a good way of getting adults through the door too. They also assume the children will continue to go there as teenagers and they can then charge full-price.

I'm a dog walker and offer puppy drop-ins at a slightly cheaper rate to other services - because those puppies will grow and become adults who use my full-priced services. It's a very normal and common way to entice people to use your business.
Please
or

funinthesun19 · 04/12/2021 13:24

First come first served like when people want to book Christmas off at work. Everyone wants a nice hair cut for Christmas and everyone wants Christmas off. Whoever gets in there first should get the hair cut/holiday.

Please
or

maggiecate · 04/12/2021 13:24

It’s frustrating if you’re a regular but when you’ve got a policy like this you really have to apply it across the board, otherwise you get into “how regular is regular” and “how long term is long term.” If they’re telling people who’ve been coming for a year “sorry, no kids” and then those customers see your kids getting appointments they’d understandably question why your custom was more valued than theirs.
Businesses offers deals during lulls and remove them during peaks - supply and demand. The money the salons make in December when demand is high and they can charge top rates has to keep them afloat during the lull through Jan/Feb when demand is low for their services.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 13:24

Oh thanks @icedcoffees. I'm the kind of person who has my hair cut once a year and go to an overpriced walk in salon (thanks anxiety!) so didn't realise concession prices aren't always available.

Please
or

Iloveallofthem · 04/12/2021 13:23

Cut it yourself

Google cutting curly hair.

My DS has the most beautiful tight curls and I have always cut his hair. It's really quite simple and his hair is utterly stunning .

You are being unreasonable and a quick trim yourself means it's not a problem waiting a few weeks until January.

Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 04/12/2021 13:22

I think it depends. I tip my hairdresser handsomely and she looks after us. Had all four of us booked in for cuts on 12th April. Grown up dc now: DH and DS Are £35 for a wash and cut, DD and I are £160 for a cut, blow dry and colour. Fair prices for SW London and she's excellent.

However when ds was small I took him to the barber for £6 and DD to a local shop for £15. I do recall putting my head round dd's hairdresser once at 4pm and looking at an empty shop with 4 staff doing nothing to be told they only did children's haircuts between 11 and 3! That was odd I thought.

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 04/12/2021 13:21

On these threads there's always a split between people who either run their own business and/or have an understanding of economics and commerce; and those who haven't got a clue yet still have strong opinions to share with what a business should do. I'm 100% sure the business owner themselves is acutely aware of what does and doesn't render them profits.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 04/12/2021 13:21

That's not great service I'd probably find a new hairdresser for you all I'm that petty!

Please
or

wtfisgoingonhere21 · 04/12/2021 13:20

Childrens hair cuts are not profitable.

Hairdressers have had one hell of a time and financially need December to just even them out let alone make a profit which I'd say won't be happening.

£15 for a hair cut that will take up a decent sized slot won't pay the bills.

Harsh but true.

Restaurants have lowered their portion sizes to try and re coop some profit somewhere. It's no different.

Amazes me how people always go on about supporting local and small businesses to keep going but then complain when they try to maximise profit.

Please
or

thirdfiddle · 04/12/2021 13:19

I'm a bit mindblown about kids that age having haircuts where 5 weeks one way or other matters. Curls or not, noone's going to notice or care about 5 weeks' extra growth except you. If you care maybe pop them along to a kids' salon or barber for a quick tidy for the Xmas pics.

Please
or

WakeUpLockie · 04/12/2021 13:17

Bet it’s beautifully curly, not ‘awfully’ curly! Both my boys have ringlets and they get less and less with each cut and I hate it! Let it flourish!

But yes a bit off of the salon!

Please
or

CarrotSticks19 · 04/12/2021 13:17

Sorry I think that's shit service. Find a new hairdresser. Your a long standing customer

Plus children's haircuts are quicker than adults. My hair costs about 150 and it takes about 3hrs. Admitedly some of this is processing time so about 2hrs of hairdressers time. £75 an hour. A child haircut takes about 10 minutes. That's £30 for 20 minutes work. £90 an hour. I don't really see why it's not profitable, mine also involves the cost of products, die etc. which a child's hair won't need.

It's not the same as an adult cut which takes longer and even if its a bit less profitable, for a regular customer who goes every 6 weeks its a small price to pay. They clearly don't give a shit about your custom so take it elsewhere, it's quite simple.

Please
or

LonginesPrime · 04/12/2021 13:16

Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

You're a regular client by choice. If you feel strongly enough about it to start a MN thread, it might be worth asking yourself if you feel strongly enough about it to no longer be one of their regular clients.

If you believe it's bad for business, then you're only correct if you stop going to them yourself.

Otherwise, you're obviously wrong as their regular clients will have a little grumble them carry on as they were, meaning their decision didn't lose them any regular clients. Your reaction will be what tells them it was a bad idea or not - they won't know what you're writing on MN about them!

Please
or

Sn0tnose · 04/12/2021 13:14

@RiskyReels

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd have thought if they wanted to maximize income this month and had customers waiting, they'd extend their hours a bit and fit everyone in. Their policy risks them losing long-standing customers to other more accommodating hairdressers. If your business is going to the wall and December is the most lucrative month, surely a bit of overtime is a no-brainer?

Would you be ok with forced overtime if your employer suddenly gets really busy?
Please
or

Cattipuss · 04/12/2021 13:11

Seems fair enough, December is usually the busiest month and children's hair typically can take longer and is also cheaper. Up to you whether you go somewhere else or not!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.