Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdresser refusing appointment for DC

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 12:16

I have been going to the same hairdresser every 6 weeks for years, My DC's 5 and 2 usually come with me every second visit for tidy up/trims. DS in particular has very curly hair and after a while his hair is totally wild, I always book appointments for them same time as me.
Last visit for when l tried to rebook for us all just before Christmas l was told that they were not doing any childrens hair for the month of December,.
Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Sn0tnose · 04/12/2021 22:00

@lliitttlepiinkhouse

Would you be ok with forced overtime if your employer suddenly gets really busy?

Can you find the bit where I said anyone would be forced to work over time?

A good employer would ask staff and arrange these things in advance, and try avoid turning away customers.

@lliitttlepiinkhouse

Unless you’ve changed your name, can you find the bit in my post where I’ve quoted you?
Please
or

BlowDryRat · 04/12/2021 21:52

My hairdresser salon has a rule that DC pay adult prices in peak times, i.e. Saturdays and December. I think that's fair enough TBH and would prefer to pay extra rather than have scruffy kids until January. Maybe suggest that approach as an alternative?

Please
or

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 04/12/2021 21:43

@Idontevenknow

I actually agree with you OP. I think as a business having this policy for new clients is fine. However, as a regular customer, who goes every 6 weeks for years, I think is different.

Agree with this.
Please
or

Coffeepants · 04/12/2021 20:14

At the cost of losing regular customers who visit multiple times a year for many members of the family? It’s very short sighted and not very good customer service at all. Why should the customer then have any loyalty to the hairdresser?

Please
or

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 20:10

@CloudyStorms

Agree with PP, watch how you describe his hair awfully isn't a word you should use about anyone's appearance to be honest.

Thanks yor your honesty Grin
Hmm awfully nice, awfully hot,awfully cold, awfully pretty, awfully long etc -- an adjective very commonly used in my area.

Also DS will be 2 in January he didnt need a haircut during main lock down as he was almost hairless for quite a while
OP's posts:
Please
or

gogohm · 04/12/2021 19:50

They don't want to be doing discounted appointments, I'm sure you can book at full price

Please
or

CloudyStorms · 04/12/2021 19:28

Agree with PP, watch how you describe his hair awfully isn't a word you should use about anyone's appearance to be honest.

Please
or

2bazookas · 04/12/2021 19:06

December is a busy month of adult beauty appointments , and these all take longer now they have to clean chairs etc between every client.

Please
or

NumberTheory · 04/12/2021 18:30

I do think blanket bans based simply on age are normally unfair, though sometimes they're a reasonable heuristic.

This is a business, though. They don't need to be fair, they need to maximise profit. Presumably they think they'll either get more profit in December by only doing adults, or keep/make more regular customers if they can fit more adults in during high demand. If you think it's worth it, you have the power to vote with your feet on this one, telling them why.

Please
or

AudacityBaby · 04/12/2021 16:46

Not sure how you know that all of the other customers will be new clients benefitting from discounts - the adults that I work with are loyal to their hairdresser and will only see them for their Xmas haircut and style. They book in in October as they know December is a peak time.

(I know this because I asked for recommendations last year and this was what everyone said.)

It’s frustrating for you but if they’re not doing discounted services during December because they’re prioritising the more expensive services that a large number of their other clients want in one month of the year, then I think that’s fair enough. If it bothers you that much offer full
price, chances are they’ll take you on then.

Please
or

godmum56 · 04/12/2021 16:45

@Cameleongirl

one thing they can't do is make fish of one and fowl of another...that really would do nothing for their local reputation

*@godmum56*. I’m not sure it would affect their reputation though if they only offered December kids’ cuts to regular clients. My hairdresser has had times when she’s openly stated on SM that she isn’t currently taking new clients until XX date-she’s very popular! So regular clients like me can get an appointment but new ones would be scheduled after the given date. So if the OP’s children were regular clients, they could get a December appointment, but no new kids’ cuts until January.

@Cameleongirl depends on how many regulars want kids haircuts....one or two might be fine, but loads would give a problem.
Please
or

fakereview · 04/12/2021 16:35

@Idontevenknow

I actually agree with you OP. I think as a business having this policy for new clients is fine. However, as a regular customer, who goes every 6 weeks for years, I think is different.

Agree with this. And I doubt they are as full in December as they would usually be due to all the cancelled Christmas parties.

But there are plenty of barbers OP (it will be cheaper too).
Please
or

HereForThis · 04/12/2021 16:32

@WakeUpLockie

Bet it’s beautifully curly, not ‘awfully’ curly! Both my boys have ringlets and they get less and less with each cut and I hate it! Let it flourish!

But yes a bit off of the salon!

I agree. I know it's also used in place of 'very' or 'extremely' but "awfully"... to describe really curly hair is perhaps the wrong choice of words. Sounds rather negative, perhaps not intentionally.

Some of us have even tighter curls that are beautiful and we cherish. 'Awfully curly' is definitely not the term I'd use for it, let alone something perhaps looser (I assume).

Anyway, as you were...
Please
or

liveforsummer · 04/12/2021 16:25

Sounds reasonable and not uncommon, people at Xmas aren't just getting cuts they are getting hair ups etc so plenty income and turning away other regular clients for a far less profit making kids cut doesn't make good business sense. I'm not sure when the face your DC's hair is curly means it can't get away with being a bit longer. Curly hair gets longer more slowly generally as it springs up as it goes

Please
or

Cameleongirl · 04/12/2021 16:19

one thing they can't do is make fish of one and fowl of another...that really would do nothing for their local reputation

@godmum56. I’m not sure it would affect their reputation though if they only offered December kids’ cuts to regular clients. My hairdresser has had times when she’s openly stated on SM that she isn’t currently taking new clients until XX date-she’s very popular! So regular clients like me can get an appointment but new ones would be scheduled after the given date. So if the OP’s children were regular clients, they could get a December appointment, but no new kids’ cuts until January.

Please
or

Livelovebehappy · 04/12/2021 16:14

Really poor service. Especially when you’re a regular customer. I could understand it if you were a newby. Vote with your feet, and find a more accommodating hairdresser. Lots of businesses have suffered through covid. You don’t see restaurants banning kids so that they can get full adult prices instead of kids’ meals.

Please
or

1FootInTheRave · 04/12/2021 16:02

I would look for a new hairdresser tbh.

Can't imagine the salon we use doing this.

Please
or

godmum56 · 04/12/2021 15:46

@Just10moreminutesplease

I’d change hairdressers tbh. They work on having regular clients and loyalty goes both ways.

one thing they can't do is make fish of one and fowl of another...that really would do nothing for their local reputation...
Please
or

Roselilly36 · 04/12/2021 15:37

This would annoy me, if you have been using the same hairdresser, there would have been other December’s why the change?

Please
or

Benjispruce5 · 04/12/2021 15:23

Yanbu. Your children are customers. They’re being rather foolish as if you find somewhere better they’ll lose out on future income.

Please
or

PomegranateQueen · 04/12/2021 15:19

Seems silly to squeeze in a one time only customer over a regular customer. If I were the OP I would be looking for a new hairdresser.

Please
or

luverlybubberly · 04/12/2021 15:08

Barbers are usually rock up and cut, just take him to the barbers. If you go in the school holidays it will be full of kids, he might prefer it.

The barber ds goes to does booked appointments so he prebooks because he doesn't want to hang around waiting. The only times he couldn't get an appointment was the day that barbers reopened after lockdown. Think he went a couple of days later.

Please
or

Cameleongirl · 04/12/2021 15:06

I’m surprised that they’re enforcing this for a regular client, but it’s their business so their choice.

I do understand the profit motives, but otoh, kid’s haircuts are generally very quick so they wouldn’t lose much adult business. It might come back to bite them longterm if people switch salons….my hairdresser used to trim DD’s hair and now DD’s 16, she gets a long-hair cut and a few highlights at full adult price. So it’s paid off for my hairdresser!

Please
or

MintLampShade · 04/12/2021 15:03

It's inconvenient to you but not unreasonable by them. Their business, their decision. Just take them somewhere else as a one off.

Please
or

PlumManor · 04/12/2021 14:50

I don’t get the unfair for regular clients. I bet 75%+ are regular clients that book weeks In advance for each appointment.

I’ve been going to my hairdresser for 15 years as has most of her customers. The Christmas slots get booked in October.

Barbers are usually rock up and cut, just take him to the barbers. If you go in the school holidays it will be full of kids, he might prefer it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.