Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My kid has told another kid Santa isn't real...

Santaslittleproblem · 13/11/2021 21:22

Our kids are 9 and at school they have had a discussion amongst a few of them about whether Santa is real.

I've had a very shirty message from a parent, which appears to single out my child having spilled the beans and subsequently spoilt the 'magic of Christmas' for their child, who has also told their younger siblings who've been crying over it. The parents have had to spend a lot of time reassuring the kids that Santa IS in fact real, and have requested that I ask my child not to discuss it further in school.

My child found out about Santa from their older sibling, and wasn't too bothered by it. I've said before that they should not talk about it with their friends, and when I asked them about this conversation, my child was absolutely gutted to have caused upset to others.

How should I respond, if at all? I don't want to fall out with them, but I'm stunned they've approached me with this, tbh.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

MurielSpriggs · 14/11/2021 00:00

Being fairly blunt, if you tell your kids lies you can't accuse the person who tells them the truth of being somehow morally deficient, even if you thought they were "white lies".

Please
or

NoSquirrels · 13/11/2021 23:58

Oh, absolutely just go with the

X was gutted to hear Y was upset - X says it was part of a conversation with others also discussing Santa and they’re really upset to know it’s caused issues because they had no idea Y still believed.

Honestly, at 9 the other parent is mad tonsure an issue of it but given they have a qualified non-apology expressing regret seems like a diplomatic choice.

Please
or

Rollmopsrule · 13/11/2021 23:57

I don't think you should apologise on behalf of your child. They haven't done anything wrong. Ott by the parent - their child was going to find out from someone and aged 9 is about time. Some parents are completely ott about prolonging the lie - its not magic at that age just daft.

Please
or

TirednWorried · 13/11/2021 23:51

At 9 years old hardly any kids believe in FC. My DS2 stopped believing in Y1 and told his friends, some parents commented, but if you tell your kidsnonsense is true (and i include myself in that), you really have no grounds to complain when another kid puts them right.

Please
or

OnceUponAMidnightBeery · 13/11/2021 23:48

@muldersspeedos

Just had to say I love your username Grin

I want to believe Wink

Please
or

Cheekytea · 13/11/2021 23:41

@victoriaspongecake

So your child told her child the truth? I’d just ignore the text.

It not about the truth at that age over Santa it about enjoying a childhood
Please
or

victoriaspongecake · 13/11/2021 23:40

So your child told her child the truth? I’d just ignore the text.

Please
or

Mistressofnone · 13/11/2021 23:39

You could write back that your DS has been a naughty boy for doubting Santa, so Santa hasn't been bringing him presents and you've had to do it. Ask her to tell her kids not to rub it in too much that they are on the nice list.

Please
or

Cheekytea · 13/11/2021 23:39

I'm gonna be honest
I would be very upset if someone else child spoiled Christmas for mine

Please
or

Onesipmore · 13/11/2021 23:38

I don't know.You asked your child not to discuss it.He discussed it but feels gutted he's caused upset !

Please
or

LizzieW1969 · 13/11/2021 23:37

DD2 was 7 when her best friend at school informed her that Santa wasn’t real. (This was two years ago.) She asked me directly whether that was the case; she’s never been one to be fobbed off so I admitted that it was Mummy and Daddy who filled her stocking on Christmas Eve. She then marched into DD1’s bedroom (she was then 10) and informed her that Santa wasn’t real. DD1 was disappointed, as she still believed, but she made up for it by asking us to film ourselves filling her stocking.

Was I annoyed with DD2’s best friend’s mum, who is also a friend of mine? Of course not; it happened at school, she can’t control what kids discuss in the playground!

Besides, we had a lot of fun filming ourselves filling their stockings! Grin

Please
or

PRsecrets · 13/11/2021 23:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

autummvibes · 13/11/2021 23:30

So your 9 year old should have known better than to talk to another 9 year old about it, but hers didn't need to know not to tell younger children? Is she really saying this? Double standards. I'd ignore.

Please
or

artquejtion · 13/11/2021 23:28

So she would expect a Muslim child to pretend to her child that Santa exists Shock, not every child on the planet is brought up to believe that santa is real.

Please
or

justasking111 · 13/11/2021 23:25

When DS came home saying he had been told Santa was an urban myth age 6. I said do you think daddy (a real tight wad) would spend that much money he said no he wouldn't. So was a believer for a few more years. The oldest two never questioned it just in case there were no presents. They did turn the house upside down. Found nothing, thanks to my neighbor who stored it all 😁😁

Please
or

BusySittingDown · 13/11/2021 23:23

My nephew still believed until he was 11. My sister thought he was joking and was still going along with it until one day she said something about putting stockings out on Christmas Eve. He was all " w w what do you mean, you fill the stockings? Waaah!" Bless him!

Please
or

Hesma · 13/11/2021 23:23

This will be the first year my 11 year old hasn’t believed and my 9 year old definitely still does so yes, I’d be upset if I were that parent.

I’d message them back saying you’d asked your child to keep the secret and they’re sorry for any upset caused. You can’t change it but from my perspective I’d appreciate it.

Please
or

BusySittingDown · 13/11/2021 23:19

Fgs! Seriously?

DD2 told me last year that she'd known from aged 7 that Santa wasn't real as X (one of her best friends) had told her he wasn't. She's now 10.

Was I mad at X? Of course not! They're children. X is very very mature and has a very old head on her shoulders so I should have expected it really. Her mum is the kind of mum that would have said "no X, he isn't real but don't spoil it for the others, " For sure but kids get over excited when they talk.

I remember a lad in the year above me at primary telling me Santa wasn't real and when I asked my mum she said, "well, if you don't believe, you don't receive!" And that was that, I decided that I would still believe, if only for a short while.

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 13/11/2021 23:08

How is it your 9yo fault that her 9yo told their siblings? I have a 9yo and I'd better there isn't a single kid in their class who doesn't doubt that Santa is real. Some have been saying they don't believe since y1.

Quite. The kids learn about different religions in school and know that people have different faiths and none. At the end of the year, Santa seems to be the biggest religion of all - the only difference being that most parents who share their faith with their children do actually believe it to be true themselves.

Imagine a Hindu parent of a classmate angrily calling the parent of a Muslim child who told the former that "there is only one God - not loads" - for spoiling the 'magic' (to put it very mildly) of their family faith. I can't see that ever happening - but Santa is somehow the one belief/faith/religion that nobody is ever allowed to say they don't believe in/follow, for fear of upsetting believers whose parents seem incapable or unwilling to teach them basic diversity and tolerance of different (often incompatible) beliefs, with the conviction of backing up their own.

I know that people will read this and tell me how stupid it is to conflate belief in Santa with belief in many other things; I would humbly suggest that those people have completely failed to grasp the principle and the parallels - 'because magic of Christmas innit'.

Please
or

UsernameUnavailable1 · 13/11/2021 23:05

[quote muldersspeedos]@UsernameUnavailable1 is Christmas really pushed upon them? If people don't celebrate can't they sit out festive activities at school?

I still believe Star[/quote]
Because everything everywhere is all about Christmas this time of year?
Yes I suppose at school sitting out from the rest of the class and not doing the nativity is totally fine and means Christmas isn't being pushed on them because they're just excluded from what they class is doing Confused told to keep quiet, like their beliefs are wrong. Almost like being punished for having a family that doesn't do Christmas... Non-issue Hmm

Please
or

purpleme12 · 13/11/2021 23:00

@DrSbaitso

How do people explain the fact that he doesn't (generally) come to the houses of Jewish, Muslim and Hindu children?

This is a good question 🤣
I'm sure my child has told me her friends who are Muslim don't have Santa and I don't remember her questioning it
It was a long time ago now this
Please
or

DrSbaitso · 13/11/2021 22:43

How do people explain the fact that he doesn't (generally) come to the houses of Jewish, Muslim and Hindu children?

Please
or

Cattitudes · 13/11/2021 22:43

Text back - What do you mean Santa isn't real?

Please
or

FissionMailed · 13/11/2021 22:43

"this is how kids often find out they're being lied to by their parents. Your kid should have told his younger siblings though. Good luck. Please do feel free to go fuck yourselves with a naughty elf."

Please
or

Hankunamatata · 13/11/2021 22:41

Some parents are so bloody precious. You cant control other childs behaviours they need to deal with their own child. Kids say crap like this all the time about santa.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?