Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My kid has told another kid Santa isn't real...

Santaslittleproblem · 13/11/2021 21:22

Our kids are 9 and at school they have had a discussion amongst a few of them about whether Santa is real.

I've had a very shirty message from a parent, which appears to single out my child having spilled the beans and subsequently spoilt the 'magic of Christmas' for their child, who has also told their younger siblings who've been crying over it. The parents have had to spend a lot of time reassuring the kids that Santa IS in fact real, and have requested that I ask my child not to discuss it further in school.

My child found out about Santa from their older sibling, and wasn't too bothered by it. I've said before that they should not talk about it with their friends, and when I asked them about this conversation, my child was absolutely gutted to have caused upset to others.

How should I respond, if at all? I don't want to fall out with them, but I'm stunned they've approached me with this, tbh.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

HotPenguin · 13/11/2021 21:41

How is it your 9yo fault that her 9yo told their siblings? I have a 9yo and I'd better there isn't a single kid in their class who doesn't doubt that Santa is real. Some have been saying they don't believe since y1.

Please
or

Santaslittleproblem · 13/11/2021 21:40

@DeepaBeesKit

A child in mines reception class has heard from older siblings that santa isnt real and has sown seeds of doubt in classmates minds.

Parents arent happy as these kids are only 4. It's not your childs fault but it's a shame the other 9 year olds have spoiled it for younger siblings. My niece "knows" but considers it a serious responsibility to keep the secret from younger children!

So does mine, they would never tell a younger child... they just joined in as part of a wider discussion with their peers and were (apparently) quite noncommittal.

Thanks all, I'll probably go with the @NuffSaidSam brief apology and then move on.
OP's posts:
Please
or

DeepaBeesKit · 13/11/2021 21:35

A child in mines reception class has heard from older siblings that santa isnt real and has sown seeds of doubt in classmates minds.

Parents arent happy as these kids are only 4. It's not your childs fault but it's a shame the other 9 year olds have spoiled it for younger siblings. My niece "knows" but considers it a serious responsibility to keep the secret from younger children!

Please
or

Gilly12345 · 13/11/2021 21:34

I personally would apologise on my child’s behalf, Santa is such a sensitive area with parents trying to keep the magic going when there are younger siblings, unfortunately your child was the bearer of such news.

We are long past Santa etc which I fully accept but it does change how people feel about Xmas as the ‘magic’ has gone.

Please
or

Volhhg · 13/11/2021 21:32

I could not take these people seriously and would avoid them like the plague. Hopefully your kids will drift away from the friendship because surely the kids will turn out like their parents

Please
or

purpleme12 · 13/11/2021 21:30

To be honest I'd just say I'm sorry this has happened. I've had a word with him about not doing this again.

Then don't think any more about it.
I mean I wouldn't be happy if a child had done that to my child but I don't think we can hold these things against them because there is always the risk that this will happen
Don't dwell on it

Please
or

StrawberriCream · 13/11/2021 21:27

It depends how close you are to the parent, we don't push Santa so it also wouldn't bother me or my kids but I know some people really do. Part of me would be tempted to message back 'but Santa isn't real they are 9 surely you didn't think you could keep up the pretence much longer' but in reality I probably wouldn't even message back and just tell DC to deflect any further questions by not answering what they actuallythink and saying things like what do you think

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 13/11/2021 21:27

Hi X, spoke to DC and he/she was gutted to find out they'd upset your child. Have reminded them to keep Santa chat for home. All the best.

Please
or

Strangevipers · 13/11/2021 21:27

It's done

And this happens

Your kid was told not to say anything but is upset that they have caused upset, Adults aren't perfect so children certainly aren't so that should be the end of it

Obviously a group of them were discussing it and your child has spoken out

Just explain your kid is very upset they have caused upset

Please
or

3scape · 13/11/2021 21:26

I'd send a laughing emoji. They must be joking. 9 year olds are hardly unable to spot the disconnect.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.