My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think a decent washer/dryer must exist?

51 replies

bookworm100 · 06/10/2021 15:21

Possibly the most boring thread on here but here we go...

I don't have room for both a washer and a dryer in my flat but do need both.

My mother and sister-in-law swear a washer/dryer won't work properly and I've not had one before but...surely they must!?

Can anyone recommend one that works and doesn't cost the earth?

Thank you!

----
This thread is quite old now so some of the suggestions may be out of date, but if you’ve landed here looking for washer dryer recommendations, we’ve recently updated our best washer dryer page with lots of great options, as tried and tested by Mumsnet users. We hope you find it useful.
Flowers
MNHQ

OP posts:
JizzyJane · 06/10/2021 15:27

I've only had one, it was crap, didnt dry properly and only lasted 18 months. Never again

Bobsyer · 06/10/2021 15:28

Didn’t you post this yesterday?

ineedaholidayandwine · 06/10/2021 15:28
bookworm100 · 06/10/2021 15:29

Oh wow! Thank you, had no idea someone had posted something so similar yesterday 😅 Thanks, will check it out!

OP posts:
NotYourCupOfTea · 06/10/2021 15:29

If it exists let me know Grin

But sadly I think they are as rare as unicorns

BreakfastOfWaffles · 06/10/2021 15:30

Generally, they are not great, because most struggle to dry the same weight of laundry as they can wash. My mum has had an AEG one for years though, which is good but only used once per week.

RestingPandaFace · 06/10/2021 15:31

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius one, it takes the same time as my previous Hotpoint Aquarius séparâtes to wash and dry.

It can be a bit of a PITA waiting for a load to also dry rather than being able to wash and dry simultaneously, and you need to be mindful that although you can wash 9kg you can only dry 6kg for for a combined cycle stick to a smaller load.

I can do a school uniform wash and dry in 125 mins (45 min wash and 75 mins drying time) if you’re hanging it or ironing it you can get away with a 60 minute dry.

You can also do 3 big bath towels on a 90 minute dry, so it’s really no different to the dryer we had before.

mrsbyers · 06/10/2021 15:48

Can you stack a washer and a dryer instead , combined ones aren’t good and not very energy efficient either

WheresYourSnickers · 06/10/2021 15:54

I went looking at washer/ dryer recently and saleswoman said they get a bad reputation because they can't dry the same volume as they wash. So if you want to use both for the one load, then you only half fill it.
In the end I went for stacked separate washer and dryer - saved floor space & it's so easy to throw clothes from washing machine into dryer.

LakeShoreD · 06/10/2021 15:57

We have a Bosch one and it does work as in clothes come out bone dry. But you can’t overload it, the drying the capacity is less than the wash capacity so what you’d usually consider to be a full load won’t work. It’s tedious because it takes ages and can a basically only do half load; I don’t think it’s ever not running during waking hours. For that reason we’re rejigging to get a separate washer and dryer.

RestingPandaFace · 06/10/2021 16:06

The load thing is a bit of a red herring though. Many washers until very recently only have a 6kg capacity anyway, but because a washer dryer has a larger drum to allow clothes to tumble it can also do a larger wash.

Even now a lot of washers that claim 8/9/10 kilos of wash capacity can only do that on long programmes.

Isithalftermyet · 06/10/2021 16:11

We have one and it is okay but they can be more expensive to buy than a separate washer and dryer... another solution if you don't have space to stack a washer and dryer is to buy a dehumidifier. Give anything other than a delicate load an extra spin in the washer and hang it to dry in a room with the dehumidifier - they are very effective.

LunaLoveFood · 06/10/2021 16:12

Love my Bosch washer dryer. Works really well.

Annasgirl · 06/10/2021 16:16

It depends. If you are a single person in a flat or share with 1 other - they are great. I had one in my apartment over 20 years ago and it was perfect. But it was only used by me and DSIS and we both wore suits to work, which were dry cleaned - so there wasn’t the kind of drying I do now with me and DH and 3 DC.

They probably won’t work as well for a big family - so it depends on how many people you are washing for.

Qwertypi · 06/10/2021 16:19

ao.com/product/wdey854044hw-beko-hygieneshield-recycledtub-washer-dryer-white-82327-2.aspx#reviewsSection
I have this one. It dries well, but the washing never smells quite as scented. Not a bad smell, just, no smell!

I have a tumble dryer in the shed, so only really use the washer dryer over night, just so I don’t have to traipse down the garden in the dark.

It’s nice not to have to load and unload it. I think they’re definitely better for little and often washing, rather than big loads.
I doubt washer dryers will ever be as good as separates, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by mine.

Talipesmum · 06/10/2021 16:44

We’ve had a John Lewis own brand one for quite a few years, and it’s been excellent. You can tumble 2/3 of the wash, and I usually only use it for towels / bedding / undies anyway. They don’t make the exact same one any more but the reviews on their website show which are good.

bookworm100 · 06/10/2021 17:18

Thank you so much to those of you who have recommended yours! Could you please let me know the models? I would appreciate it so much!

OP posts:
MsRinky · 06/10/2021 17:54

Mine's ace, although I don't use the dryer very much. I've had it about a decade with zero issues, but it it is a Miele so won't have been cheap at the time.

DoNotGetADog · 06/10/2021 18:06

No, they’re all shit

CatKittyCatCatKittyCatCat · 06/10/2021 18:12

Had a Miele one that was rubbish. But now have a Zanussi built in one that I really like.

ZWT 71201 WA

eleflump · 06/10/2021 20:17

I had this one - LG V7 F4V709STSE - it was great. I only replaced it because I had an integrated one fitted when I got a new kitchen.

I think the key is to do a wash, take the items out, shake them and then dry about two thirds of the load back in the dryer.

TheMagicDeckchair · 06/10/2021 21:15

I have a Bosch Serie 6 10kg/6kg washer dryer. Also have a separate washer and dryer, as we have three young kids.

Pros- it’s very user friendly with plenty of cycles. You can tweak cycles to adjust temp, speed, how dry etc. You can run just a wash, dry only, or both. It has a time delay feature which is handy if you want to put on a wash overnight and have it cleaned and dried by morning. It has a service light inside the machine.
Cons- price, it retails around £900. I found it complicated to interrupt cycles compared to just opening a dryer. Large wash loads won’t dry thoroughly and would need to be put on a wash and then split on a drying load.
Overall I am happy with it.

LuluJakey1 · 06/10/2021 21:30

We've got a John Lewis one which has several drying cycles and does a bigger load to dry than most. Had it about 6 years. Only use it for towels and bedding if I can't hang bedding outside, occasionally for things like nightclothes, leggings, jeans.

gruffalocake2 · 06/10/2021 21:44

I also have a Bosch. The dryer function doesn’t do a whole wash load but not a problem for me as I try to air dry most things so only use it for catching up/towels/bedding etc. We have a family of 6 so I guess if it works for us it would work for most. I’d take a tumble dryer if we had space but this has worked without a hitch for 5 yrs so pretty pleased!

Derrymum123 · 06/10/2021 21:57

Nope. They don't exist. Get separate washer and dryer or get a dehumidifier instead of dryer. Love my dehumidifier for drying washing that can't go in dryer. Usually dry overnight.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.