Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think I've ruined my carpet?!

24 replies

Stripey3000 · 06/07/2021 17:00

I've had a fairly thick carpet in my living room for about 2 years. Thanks to the usual mess from a child, and a murderous cat, it had some strains and was due for a good clean.
So at the weekend I hired a Rug Doctor machine and gave it a thorough going over. Unfortunately, with the weather being so cold and damp at the moment, the carpet hasn't dried out quickly enough, and we're now left with a moist carpet and a musty smell 😬
We've borrowed a dehumidifier from a neighbour and have a fan pointing directly at the dampest spots...which does seem to be drying it out, at last.
But can I get rid of the smell once it's dry?! Does anyone have any amazing tips?! I heard that things like Shake n Vac might not be safe to use, with cats in the house.
Please help!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

3 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
100%
CharlieWorkCharlieSad · 06/07/2021 17:03

Can you put the heating on?

chickenyhead · 06/07/2021 17:04

Baking soda is great for smells, once dry. Maybe febreeze worth a try too

Bargebill19 · 06/07/2021 17:05

You could try the fabulousa carpet spray from b and m. That doesn’t bother my cats.
Or, use some shake and vac inside the Hoover bag, or use a Hoover disc freshener in either a bagged Hoover or in the bag less Hoover.

LubaLuca · 06/07/2021 17:05

Carpet shampooers always seem to leave that foisty smell until everything dries It will disappear, just keep the rooms ventilated as well as you can.

CharlieWorkCharlieSad · 06/07/2021 17:06

Sorry, I realised I didn't actually answer your question.

Cover in Baking soda for 24 hours.
White Vinegar and lemon is also good for smells.

claralara42 · 06/07/2021 17:07

Unfortunately, with the weather being so cold and damp at the moment, the carpet hasn't dried out quickly enough, and we're now left with a moist carpet and a musty smell

Why didn't you just put the heating on? Do it now! A fan isn't what you need.

PandasCatsWolves · 06/07/2021 17:09

Heating and dehumidifier- that water has to go somewhere!

eurochick · 06/07/2021 17:13

Wool always smells when wet. Just get the heating on and get it dried now.

Watchingyou2sleezes · 06/07/2021 17:20

Next time get it professionally cleaned. They'll do a better job, you'll have someone to gripe at if you're not happy and for one average room they'll probably be surprisingly competitive re hiring a machine

claralara42 · 06/07/2021 17:21

@eurochick

Wool always smells when wet. Just get the heating on and get it dried now.

There's a good chance its not wool though
BlueLobelia · 06/07/2021 17:23

a few weeks ago we shampooed (with our Vax machine) a huge turkish rug due to a doubly incontinent elderly dog. We used a dehumidifer -We could prop the rug up so air circulated underneath as well which i guess you cannot do with a carpet but it took a solid 9 days (dehumidifer on 24 hours and emptied regularly) for it to dry properly and the musty smell to go.

It did go though.

ForeverSausages · 06/07/2021 17:24

Put the heating up. You'll be surprised how much the smell will go once the carpet is actually dry. Flash with bicarb spray is pretty good at getting rid of any smells. The shake & vac is good but it'll ruin your Hoover!

On another note, the Vax Platinum SmartWash is fab. And has a dry only option on it to suck out the water Smile.

BlueLobelia · 06/07/2021 17:25

Oh and yes to heating. if it is damp outside I would not open the windows - the dehumidifer needs to just work with the air in the room not the dampness outside as well (apparently according to DH).

HighlandCowbag · 06/07/2021 17:26

Whack the heating on and open the windows and let it air a few days. The smell will go once its dry. If not sprinkle with baking powder then give it a really good vacuum. But make sure it is bone dry before you baking powder it.

BlueLobelia · 06/07/2021 17:26

@ForeverSausages

Put the heating up. You'll be surprised how much the smell will go once the carpet is actually dry. Flash with bicarb spray is pretty good at getting rid of any smells. The shake & vac is good but it'll ruin your Hoover!

On another note, the Vax Platinum SmartWash is fab. And has a dry only option on it to suck out the water Smile.

Yep- this is what we use. It gets hard hard work (ref doubly incontient dog) and it is a godsend. Vax platinum, I mean.
ForeverSausages · 06/07/2021 17:29

@BlueLobelia same reason we got one by all accounts. Well worth the investment and so satisfying seeing the grim water in the tank after 😂😂.

BlueLobelia · 06/07/2021 17:33

We also bought our latest one online from Vax direct and it came with a free steam mop thrown in. That was several months back though, but they might still have a simialr offer. (never used the steam mop, but nice to know it is there languishing in the loft).

ForeverSausages · 06/07/2021 17:34

It does still come with a steam mop although haven't tried it yet (bought mine a couple weeks back) Smile.

BlueLobelia · 06/07/2021 17:35
Grin
FindingMeno · 06/07/2021 17:36

The smell will go.

Stripey3000 · 06/07/2021 17:40

Thank yoy for all the replies! Yes we had the heating up earlier so i will whack it on again now. All the doors and windows are closed so we are only dehumidifying the one room. You really are amazing at solving problems! 😍

OP posts:
AdobeWanKenobi · 06/07/2021 17:49

You could try the fabulousa carpet spray from b and m

Great stuff, but will never cure smells, just serve to disguise them

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

billy1966 · 06/07/2021 18:07

Baking soda is extraordinary at removing smells.

Buy a couple of packets and shake it over the carpet.

Give it a couple of hours to dry and then hoover.
Magic.

hadtojoin · 06/07/2021 19:07

Use a can of 1001 carpet fresh odour eliminator. It is a foam which disappears in 20 seconds.
I had the same and it got rid of the smell straight away, you may need to spray again later but it didn't come back.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.