My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your 1st Birthday first ideas?

10 replies

toomuchpeppapig · 08/09/2020 07:59

My youngest DS is 1 in October, and his older DB will be 2. Because of this we already seem to have the majority of toys suitable for 1 year olds.

AIBU to ask you for ideas of what I could get my 1 year old, that we may not already have in our toy collection please? Most of our current toys are from Amazon, Smyths and The Entertainer, so if you know of any alternative places that sell different products, I'd be grateful for your help. Thank you!

OP posts:
toomuchpeppapig · 08/09/2020 08:01

Apologies - title should say 'first birthday GIFT ideas!!' 🤦🏻‍♀️

OP posts:
mamma2013 · 08/09/2020 08:03

We got ours a little set of toot toot car things. It was a few years ago now but it was a big hit and we've added on to it for several years and even my 9 year old loves it

ILoveStickers · 08/09/2020 08:03

If you already have all the toys you need, maybe you can get other types of things.

My one year old was thrilled with her own special plastic bowl and cup (and played with them for ages!) and her own little chair and table. Plus new wellies etc?

If you want interesting toys, I love the Grimm's and Grapat stuff - expensive but lovely, and you'd only need to buy one thing.

Curiosity101 · 08/09/2020 08:05

We bought our DS a star projector to replace his night light. This one from Amazon:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087Q35NT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?psc=1&ie=UTF8&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

He was also bought some cars that are part of the Tesco toy brand, this is his favourite. It drives itself and has a few small buttons that make noises/flash the headlights. Plus the side opens up and you can get the delivery crates out. I don't think the crates pose a choking risk but I'd make your own call on that and you can always remove them if you buy it:
www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303746119

He was also bought a feed me dino which was a pretty big hit, although it's the noise/lights he likes, he doesn't have the dexterity/understanding to actually feed it yet:
www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/vtech-pre-school/vtech-feed-me-dino/p/137058

Isadora2007 · 08/09/2020 08:09

Second vote for grapat and grimms and other “expensive” wooden toys- often fair trade and eco friendly etc and kids love the simplicity and open- ended play. They also have GREAT resale prices so save you money against plastic crap that everyone buys and no one wants second hand.
Have a look on babipur.co.uk

BrowncoatWaffles · 08/09/2020 09:18

My DS got the LeapFrog Scoop and Learn Ice Cream cart for his birthday. Not only was it a big hit with both him and his (then 3 year old) sister but they have played with it most days since, even four years on. It's by far the most played with / loved toy we've ever had.
www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/gift-finder-3-5-years/leapfrog-scoop-and-learn-ice-cream-cart/p/160535

DS also got a little Dunelm armchair for his first birthday to go in the living room which he loved!
www.dunelm.com/product/kids-roar-dinosaurs-armchair-1000160151

44PumpLane · 08/09/2020 09:23

If you have all you need I wpipd highly suggest just buying some winter clothes and wellingtons to wrap up with maybe one toy and one book (toot toot cars or animals are a great idea) and then put some money in his bank account. He's 1, he literally has no idea what day it is and the presents and wrapping is for you not him (I mean that in a nice way not a berating way)... So try not to stress, make it simple!

MaskingForIt · 08/09/2020 09:38

He’s 2, he has no idea that it is his birthday or that you are giving him presents. If you already have everything you need, why not put the money into his account rather than buying more tat just for the sake of it?

MaskingForIt · 08/09/2020 09:38

*He’s 1

toomuchpeppapig · 21/09/2020 19:12

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I've ordered a couple of bits suggested and am going to put some money in the bank or premium bonds for him. 👍🏼

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.