My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what is the best hoover for pet hair?

156 replies

Snooks1971 · 07/06/2020 16:49

Tying myself up in knots reading and comparing reviews.
Shark? Miele?
Short white dog hairs everywhere on a dark coloured carpet!
My trusty Hetty just isn’t effective - help please!

OP posts:
TeeniefaeTroon · 07/06/2020 21:22

We got the Shark duo clean cordless about a month ago and it's great. We only have cats though. Mine is cordless but I'd expect the corded one to be even better. I keep hoovering rooms and showing my husband what I've collected 🤣🤣
If you get a cordless one then be aware that the battery does last a fair while, I've a reasonably large house and the last hoover had only one battery and didn't last long enough to do the whole house, this one does so I've wasted a hundred pounds on the extra battery, It means the batteries will last longer though in the long run.

TeeniefaeTroon · 07/06/2020 21:25

This is the one I got, took the interest free credit option. My mum and sister bought the single battery one for £249,

sharkclean.co.uk/product/shark-cordless-vacuum-with-anti-hair-wrap-technology-and-flexology-twin-battery-iz251uk/

Snooks1971 · 07/06/2020 21:41

Hmm think I’m erring on a Shark upright - still scared of cordless - although to be cordless would be utterly life changing (hoover wise).
Only thinking upright Shark because on balance it would be easier to store and also no blessed bags to remember to buy...Still no idea which model though Confused Do I spend £180 or £350... can afford £350 but it seems such a lot of £££

OP posts:
snowone · 07/06/2020 21:50

Shark - all day long!

userxx · 07/06/2020 21:55

Poniesandgin · 07/06/2020 21:57

I’ve got 3 long coated heavy shedding dogs and 3 cats!

Shark lift away has been amazing so far. It’s not very old but it’s 1000 times better than the dyson we had previously!

userxx · 07/06/2020 21:59

I'm looking at the truepet nv601ukt, think it's about £190.00 in Argos at the moment. My back can no longer take hetty hoover.

Nat6999 · 08/06/2020 00:54

Has anyone bought the hair wrap Shark hoover? Both ds & I have long hair & the hoover frequently gets bunged up, we don't deliberately drop hair on the floor but the hoover picks loads up round the rollers.

chocolatespiders · 08/06/2020 08:27

Brigitbigknickers reported in their earlier post that the anti hair wrap works very well.

sluj · 08/06/2020 08:39

My Miele Cat and Dog had filter problems and kept blowing the compartment open. In the end we just took the filter out. It is very heavy.
We then bought a Dyson V10 cordless which has had its own problems but convinced me that I will never buy another corded one. The lightness and portability is fantastic and it collects a lot of cat hair and dust. Cordless is the way to go.

loobylou44 · 08/06/2020 08:51

I got this one about a month ago to replace my previous Shark.

sharkclean.co.uk/product/shark-duoclean-powered-lift-away-upright-vacuum-cleaner-with-anti-hair-wrap-truepet-model-nz801uktdb/

I only paid £200 from the same site so no idea where they get that price from!

I have a labrador and 2 long haired daughters and it works a treat. I've heard a lot of people complain that the cordless sharks aren't powerful enough and are prone to problems.

VeganCow · 08/06/2020 10:10

Go for a Sebo x model, they last forever and pick up better than any other vacuum.

vanillandhoney · 08/06/2020 10:16

Definitely Shark LiftAway.

We had a generic vacuum before and it broke so we replaced it with the shark - on the day we got it, we filled it up three times just from our living room carpet Blush

MadisonAvenue · 08/06/2020 10:41

Mine’s the anti hair wrap, I have long hair and it works brilliantly. My previous vacuum was a Dyson Animal and hair was frequently clogging the brushes up.

As someone else mentioned, the first clean with the Shark was a real eye opener . I’d used various Dysons for around 20 years before that and thought they did a good job but obviously I was wrong judging by how much my Shark picked up. It actually looked like the carpets had been shampooed.

userxx · 08/06/2020 11:02

@loobylou44 You got a bargain!!!!

slartibarti · 08/06/2020 11:29

With the shark cordless do you have to keep your thumb on the "on" button?

Herecomestreble1 · 08/06/2020 11:47

The first time I used my shark duo I had to empty it three times just going around my house once. I was so appalled at the amount of hair my old hoover had missed!

Snooks1971 · 08/06/2020 12:01

I’ve managed to order this almost by fluke Blush

www.very.co.uk/shark-anti-hair-wrap-upright-vacuum-cleaner-with-powered-lift-away-amp-true-pet-nz801ukt/1600397937.prd

I was on the Very website, had this in my basket and was investigating the pay in 3 instalments with no interest option. I created an account, pressed continue and lo and behold it was ordered!
At least that’s my decision made I suppose! I’m quite excited now and paying for it in 3 instalments means it’s not such a lay out in one go.

OP posts:
userxx · 08/06/2020 12:29

Ooops :) Do report back, I'm willing my hetty to die!!

DimplesToadfoot · 08/06/2020 17:53

That's the one I have, I hope you did your research and found some new customer discount codes ... whatever they are worth every penny. Wait until you first use it :-) I was disgusted with myself and felt a right minger with the amount of filth it hoovered up lol

MouthBreathingRage · 08/06/2020 17:59

We have a Shark, not sure which one but it was on the cheaper end. I had no idea (and I mean no idea) how utterly disgusting carpets actually are until we used ours. On the plus side, I've never seen my husband hoover so much, he considers it one of the best things he's ever paid for.

One negative, the detachable wand doesn't actually stretch very far, if you're not careful then the whole machine can fall on your foot whilst trying to get the corners. It's heavier than it looks (just ask my quite possibly broken big toe).

carltongirl · 08/06/2020 18:04

Miele cat and dog. Fantastic, compact, good value, generic bags on eBay, love ours.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ButDoUAvocado · 08/06/2020 18:09

Sebo Felix Pet! When my first one died after years and years with a lot of use, I bought another.

GarlicMonkey · 08/06/2020 18:18

Shark anti hair wrap. Amazing bit of kit.

Snooks1971 · 08/06/2020 20:14

Well, it’s ordered and due here before or on Thursday. I really hope it’s worth it 🙏
@userxx yes I will report back!
@DimplesToadfoot I was already a Very ‘cash’ customer, few bits of clothing etc and so didn’t get any new customer discount codes. But tbh I didn’t look for any either. DH is sceptical but he’s a tightarse.
The dark coloured carpet at the bottom of the stairs is the worst area for collecting short wiry white dog hairs. Hetty says no and I’ve resorted to wearing trainers (rubbery sole) and sort of scraping my feet backwards like a moonwalk to collect the hair.
God, how sad is my life.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.