Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask advice on potty training

13 replies

Autumn2019 · 14/03/2020 14:19

Sorry, i am posting here for traffic. As the easter break is coming up and it seems likely that i will not be taking DD (just over 2 yrs) out for anymore groups anytime soon, i was thinking of using this time to potty train her. I am not sure what i should be buying in order to start us off, apart from knickers. What would you lovely Mnetters recommend is best : clip on children's toilet seat or a potty? I will have to get a travel potty anyway for when we are out and about. I know this is gross but if you do recommend using a potty at home (instead of a clip on children's toilet seat ) does the poo empty easily from the potty into the toilet or do i need something to scoop the poo from the potty into the toilet as well?( sorry if this is a silly question, i just havent got a clue really, apart from generic stuff about cues to when she is ready etc. ) I know there are potty liners and i will be getting some to use with the travel potty for when we travel out and about but it would be quite expensive to use on a regular basis at home. DD seems keen to use a potty and i think she is ready to be potty trained. Please help!!

Tia

OP posts:
Autumn2019 · 14/03/2020 17:10

Anyone?

OP posts:
Xuzes · 14/03/2020 17:38

I just bought lots of pants, put an incontinence pad in the car seat for any accidents in the car and used both a potty that looks like a mini toilet and our toilet with a child seat on it.
You can clean the poo out of the potty with toilet roll, wipe out with baby wipes (reuse-able ones like cheeky wipes are good) and just give it a spray with some antibacterial spray.
We don’t take a potty out, just use public toilets.

Vinorosso74 · 14/03/2020 17:46

We bought a pottette which is a portable potty and loo seat in one. The base of the potty are bags so you don't have to empty the potty but it can be binned. It was brilliant in the early days for trips to the park without loos.
Pound shops sell packs of puppy training pads.
Some poos empty easier than others but they can be wiped out easily!

NannyR · 14/03/2020 17:48

I wouldn't bother with a travel potty, you only need them for such a short window of time and quite often kids won't use them as they "feel" different to the potty they are used to at home.
Potties are useful at home, especially for the first couple of days, when you need to get them on the potty quickly, you can have it in the corner of the room. I prefer the design that has a removable insert (I think ikea do one), much easier to empty and clean.
However, I like to get them using the toilet (with a seat to start with) as soon as possible. It's much easier when you are out and about, you don't have to carry the potty around.

OhhhPeee · 14/03/2020 17:55

You can get a Pourty, which is a potty that’s designed to be emptied easily. I would really recommend the Oh Crap book, but I found it was about readiness more than anything.

DC1 took about a year to be reliably dry, it was a nightmare, just when we thought we’d cracked it she would have an accident. With DC2 we waited until 2.5yr and one day I told her she was wearing knickers and using the potty. She just did it! I was gobsmacked. I think my two were definitely extremes, but on reflection if I learned anything it’s by all means try, but if they’re not getting it after a few weeks, just stop and try again in a couple of months. Good luck!

pigsknickers · 14/03/2020 18:00

Best tip anyone ever gave me was to line the potty with a bit of toilet paper before a poo - makes it loads easier to empty!

crispysausagerolls · 14/03/2020 18:06

DS is 20 months and I am considering starting as he keeps removing his own nappy before (or after if not quick enough) filling it/telling me he’s about to go or gone/really interested in the loo etc. I read a pretty great book which says not to bother with the potty. Just teach them to use the loo and stay home for a couple of days (it’s called potty training in 3 days).

My only issue is that I tried to introduce him sitting (clothed for now, for fun) on the baby loo seat and he was very scared. Have tried his toys on it etc but he doesn’t like the feeling of nothing under his bottom so not sure what to do about that really.

blueluce85 · 14/03/2020 18:14

I just had a potty and on both toilets, a seat for my DD and have no issues.

I know people who have taken travel potties out with them and their kids will only ever do it on the potty and just prolongs it IMHO. Plus I heard a mum reasoning with her kid in the loo at the zoo the other day about her kid having to use the big toilet and he was having none of it.. But really needed to go!

I bought Princess Polly book and sticker book for my dd before potty training.

The only problem we had was getting her to do a poo on the toilet and in the end after numerous accidents I offered treats for poos down the loo... Winner!

Also, the poo empties relatively easily. But if you can get poo over the toilet from the outset... Even better

Frlrlrubert · 14/03/2020 18:18

We did the loo seat and a step so she could get on and off.

The proper loo-seat in a loo-seat ones were better than the moulded plastic ones that go on top.

We did try a potty but she had a habit of taking it with her when she stood up, like a comedy fat man in a too small chair, so we gave up on it.

HarrietM87 · 14/03/2020 18:21

We had the ikea potty chair downstairs and the cheap £2 potty upstairs. We did use a travel potty because I trained my son at 18 months and his bladder capacity was quite small - sometimes we needed it out and about. He’s 22 months now and uses normal toilets out and about. At home we have the ikea seat for the toilet and use that and the potties interchangeably.

He still needs to be helped on to the potty/help with his trousers down etc but it is a million times better than nappies!

We used the Oh Crap method.

WestCountryLady · 14/03/2020 20:24

We used pull ups for a few weeks until she got the hang of pulling them down and going on the potty, then when she did it a couple of weeks she was given big girls knickers which she was proud of.
My eldest dd seemed happy going straight to toilet with a child's seat on, but youngest suited using the potty so it's trial and error.
Both were 2.

MuddlingThrough1724 · 14/03/2020 20:35

Another recommendation for the Oh Crap book, and for a potette type potty. We didn't have Pottys at home, just the seat inserts, and despite training last year it is useful to have a potty for the car in case DD decides she needs a wee whilst in transit for longer journeys. And buy the Oh Crap book.....am slightly evangelical about it as is so easy to read an dunderstand and it has worked for pretty much everyone I know who has also used it.

Autumn2019 · 16/03/2020 00:49

Thanks all for your replies. It's been very helpful! Flowers

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.