Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think there should be a minimum age limit on ear piercing

Forthepurposesofthetape · 11/04/2019 08:33

Was in a well known accessories shop yesterday and witnesses a mum getting her child's ears pierced. The child could have only have been about a year old and screamed the place down. She was so distressed. I really don't understand why it's necessary to do it at that age, it seems so unnecessarily cruel! Angry

OP's posts:
Please
or

SosigDog · 11/04/2019 08:45

YANBU. Kids should have to be old enough to consent, the same as any other body modification.

Please
or

HappyPunky · 11/04/2019 08:45

I agree. I think 12 at least. I had mine done younger because I was begging to but it was only because everyone else's were done.

If/when DD asks I'll take her to a proper piercing place at the start of the holidays so they're healed ready for school.

Please
or

Reallyevilmuffin · 11/04/2019 08:44

I 100% agree. One is causing pain and modifying the body of your child for your pleasure - they have no say in this. The only reason it isn't frowned upon is that it is cultural. You would get and instant social services referral quite rightly if you pierced any other child body part.

Please
or

NorthernRunner · 11/04/2019 08:42

Oh I agree I absolutely despise seeing babies with their ears pierced it’s cruel and ruins their little faces.
I reckon the child should be 10-13 so they can at least give their consent!

Please
or

Scrumptiousbears · 11/04/2019 08:42

I don't agree either. Looking cute is not an acceptable answer.

Please
or

ScreamScreamIceCream · 11/04/2019 08:42

@FuriousCheekyFucker but which side for a boy - left or right?

OP I presume they were using a gun. That fecking hurts there as a needle doesn't.

Please
or

Sirzy · 11/04/2019 08:41

I agree. Personally I would say no under 13s but it should be at least 10.

Please
or

FuriousCheekyFucker · 11/04/2019 08:40

I disagree.

I think babies with their ears pierced look lovely. Particularly if they're bald, how can you tell if they're a boy or a girl?

One stud for a boy, both ears for girls.

Please
or

LividLaughLove · 11/04/2019 08:40

I agree.

The argument is often “it’s cultural”. That doesn’t make it okay.

Please
or

Slicedpineapple · 11/04/2019 08:37

I agree. There is no need for a young child or baby to have their ears pierced. I actually think there should be a limit of about 12 years old for this. You have to be 16 to get a lot of piercings unless your parents are consenting to it and with you, but you wouldn't take a toddler to get their belly button pierced so I don't understand why places treat ear piercing differently.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.