Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pigflewpast · 19/06/2017 16:31

We had sports day today, a cold Pimms would have been gorgeous. Maybe not a good idea at 9am though. I would have been quite shocked if it was on offer tbh
Same as a PP, PTA events often include sale of alcohol. School run events don't. All the PTA events are after school though.

Please
or

StarHeartDiamond · 19/06/2017 16:31

It's going to a bit of trouble for what is a sports day though Laguna. The focus is meant to be the kids not the parents. As if parents don't have enough opportunities to drink their own time.

I would feel sorry for the kid whose parent gets lairy and loud after a couple of drinks. His embarrassing would that be.

Please
or

MrsOverTheRoad · 19/06/2017 16:31

What always interests me on these threads is the way those who are for alcohol at school events, get very snotty about it...very condascending.

Whilst those who aren't in agreement are usually quite balanced.

I wonder why that is? Why the intense defence of drinking WHEN you want and WHAT you want.

Please
or

EsmereldaMargaretNoteSpelling · 19/06/2017 16:28

Re Licensing Laws - our Chair applies to the local authority for a temporary license for such events. Doesn't cost much and we normally make a couple of hundred pounds on the stall. Just have to be organised and make sure we apply in good time - we forgot for the Christmas Fair one year and were down quite a bit from the missing mulled wine sales!

Please
or

user1489675144 · 19/06/2017 16:28

Judgmental much...

A few cans of Pimms is now getting sloshed... sometimes PTA's sell refreshments that occasionally 'shock and horror' will include a little alcoholic beverage...no everyone will overindulge or even indulge.

Some people will have a can and many will not, please don't judge people on this.

Please
or

jarhead123 · 19/06/2017 16:26

I would find it a bit tragic that they wanted a drink at 11am. Lots of refreshing non alcoholic drinks they can have.

Please
or

LagunaBubbles · 19/06/2017 16:25

Easy enough to arrange a temporary licence.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 16:24

Now it's a safeguarding issue? hmm

Isn't literally everything in the UK vaguely connected to children now a "safeguarding issue"?

Please
or

ludog · 19/06/2017 16:24

I was just going to ask the same thing Sirzy.

Please
or

LagunaBubbles · 19/06/2017 16:24

Alcholism is ugly

Bit of an over reaction from a few drinks to alcoholism surely??

Please
or

MiaowTheCat · 19/06/2017 16:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

StarHeartDiamond · 19/06/2017 16:23

Kids sports day and alcohol? Can't see an obvious connection there. It's a sports day.

What if one of the parents got pissed and aggravating?
What about the "I really shouldn't - I'm driving... oh never mind" parent?
What about the parent walking home school with kids, pissed?
How can they limit the intake to keep it reasonable?
Also it's not a great message to the kids. What's wrong with selling non-alcoholic drinks.

Also, don't they need a license?

Please
or

Sirzy · 19/06/2017 16:23

For those school selling Alchol how do they work that around licensing laws?

Please
or

Onceuponatime21 · 19/06/2017 16:22

Our rule of thumb is
school event, no alcohol
PTFA event, alcohol.

So no to sports day, but yes at fete.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 16:22

Now it's a safeguarding issue? Hmm

Please
or

Scrumpernickel · 19/06/2017 16:22

I wouldn't expect to be drinking alcohol at a kids' sports day on a Monday afternoon. If it was a Saturday I'd be more likely to partake.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 16:21

I don't think it's a healthy impression for our children to show them as adults you can't possibly meet up with other adults without consuming alcohol

You're not showing them that at all. How very silly.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 16:21

Do they only sell pimms? I don't even like it that much. Can't we have a vodka filled watermelon? Wink

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 16:21

I'd be appalled. It's not as though anyone would be fine with the teachers joining in

The teachers would be working, the parents would not. I do hope you can see the difference and that you aren't a teacher

Please
or

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets · 19/06/2017 16:21

I don't think it's a healthy impression for our children to show them as adults you can't possibly meet up with other adults without consuming alcohol.

Organise something else that's adults only if you want to use the 'raise money for the PTA' slant.

Please
or

kel1234 · 19/06/2017 16:21

How do you know they will be getting sloshed as you put it?
If they want to enjoy a drink in the sunshine, why not?
I enjoy a few drinks every day. I don't get drunk or even tipsy. What's the harm?
I think you sound quite judgemental. Everyone can handle drink differently.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 16:19

Alcoholism is ugly?
PTA selling pimms is considered alcoholism?
Why do all these posters have such strange views on alcohol. I can take it or leave it myself, but I don't care if another mum drinks whatever she likes!!

Please
or

Seniorcitizen1 · 19/06/2017 16:18

surely you realise that in the UK every event has to be accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol - people in UK can't enjoy themselves without alcohol.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 16:17

I disagree. Why does alcohol at all events bother you, or affect anyone else. If you want to drink and I don't, both are totally fine.

Please
or

NachoAddict · 19/06/2017 16:17

Wow how the other half live eh. I live in a rough town and drinking at school sports day would probably have you on the school safeguarding list!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.