Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU about the man on the bus?

HelenaWay · 12/05/2017 23:40

He said I don't think you should sit there. I said said excuse me what are you on about? He said the bags are massive and take up the fly space.

Well that was it. I was so angry, it wasn't a big amount. How dare he say that to me. I shouted at him that he had really offended me and it backed off and sat in the flight seat.

Now I'm thinking about it I don't know AIBU?

[Message from MNHQ - please note, this thread was started in 2017]*

OP's posts:
Please
or

Want2beme · 18/04/2022 11:24

@Highalert

If you were taking up the fly space where was the man supposed to put his fly?

I'm in tears 😂
Please
or

Xpologog · 18/04/2022 11:10

I’m assuming it was a double seat on a bus.
You were sitting in one half of a double seat but because you had shopping bags next to you, your space encroached onto the other half of the seat.
The man thought this was unreasonable and said so.
He didn’t say you were fat.
If there were other seats available he was unreasonable to even bother speaking to you.
You were very unreasonable to shout. No one needs to do that or hear it.

I would suggest you both sit on a flight seat ( aka naughty chair) and think about your actions. Then apologise to each other and play nicely in future.

Please
or

zingally · 18/04/2022 10:56

What you on about OP? You sound absolutely off your rocker.

Please
or

CheeseCheeseCheeseCheese · 18/04/2022 10:34

FFS

🧟

Please
or

CheeseCheeseCheeseCheese · 18/04/2022 10:33

Did you, aye?

Easter Hmm

Please
or

mammajustkilledagnat · 18/04/2022 10:26

Oh bugger, zombie!

Please
or

mammajustkilledagnat · 18/04/2022 10:25

@HelenaWay

these aren't common terms, no one knows where you mean!

Well actually they are common terms. The fly space is clearly the space between the Window and passenger. Everyone who rides a bus knows that.

Been riding on buses all my life am now well into middle age and have never heard that term. I have lived in the north and the south, so not a regional thing either.
Please
or

kittensinthekitchen · 18/04/2022 10:22

@Hawkins001

For all

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/4531561-Most-amusing-comment-on-MN

That may provide your answers, as that's where the links are for the zombie threads.

Some times I ask the question about the ops original post, as sometimes the ops are still using mumsnet, and yes some may not.

And you think that over the following 5 years, noone else has had the thought to ask the very same question? If you're going to bump up a half-decade old thread, at least bloody read it! Hmm
Please
or

CherryHug · 18/04/2022 10:20

Oh FFS how do people manage to ressurect these threads, I know its Easter, but come on.

Please
or

CherryHug · 18/04/2022 10:20

I ride buses weekly and did not know these terms.

Please
or

BobbyeinArkansas · 18/04/2022 09:52

How much were the Pringles? It’s irrationally annoyed me lately that the “on special” pride is now £1.65 everywhere whereas it used to be £1.25. I still buy them at £1.65 though but it irks me every time.

When I first went to the US the bus company used to advertise that you could “ride all day for a dollar”. That means something very different in my country.

Please
or

NancyDrooo · 18/04/2022 09:25

@BunnykinsDay

ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE

WHO ARE THE POSTERS WHO GET A KICK FROM RESURRECTING THREADS THAT ARE 5 YEARS OLD?

What's in it for you?

It was mentioned and linked to on a current thread about funny moments on MN, and then as people make new comments it starts trending.
Please
or

Hawkins001 · 18/04/2022 09:22

For all

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/4531561-Most-amusing-comment-on-MN

That may provide your answers, as that's where the links are for the zombie threads.

Some times I ask the question about the ops original post, as sometimes the ops are still using mumsnet, and yes some may not.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 18/04/2022 09:01

If you behave like this in real life you’ll piss people off

Please
or

Spannwr1971 · 18/04/2022 08:57

I thought you only got pringles in a tube, not the bus?

Please
or

BunnykinsDay · 18/04/2022 08:54

@Hawkins001

Fly ?

Hello @Hawkins001 Why are you trawling MN for old threads? Do tell.
Please
or

BunnykinsDay · 18/04/2022 08:50

ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE

WHO ARE THE POSTERS WHO GET A KICK FROM RESURRECTING THREADS THAT ARE 5 YEARS OLD?

What's in it for you?

Please
or

JellyfishandShells · 18/04/2022 08:25

Ops, just seen the Zombie. Oh, well.

Please
or

Antarcticant · 18/04/2022 08:25

@Highalert

If you were taking up the fly space where was the man supposed to put his fly?

Grin
Please
or

JellyfishandShells · 18/04/2022 08:24

I was trying to make sense ( why) of this and thought that maybe the OP meant that the man objected to her leaving big suitcases in the space where wheelchairs/ buggies go and that the flight seat was one of those sideways ones near the front in some London buses ( not heard of them being called that )

But, no - it’s some mystery place next to a window and the flight seat is still flying around looking for a definition .

Reminds me of a bizarre interaction when I got on an empty bus at the bus station - 2 of us got on. Quiet time of day . I had shopping and and art portfolio. Portfolio by my legs, shopping on seat next to me. 3 stops on, half a dozen people got on - people sit where they want on spacious bus , lots of empty double seats. One woman didn’t give me a chance to put my shopping in my lap, sat down partly on my shopping, saying ‘ there’d be room for other people if you weren’t eating crisps - that’s what makes you fat’

There were no crisps in my bags or in me and I’m slender.

She then stood up and hung into the pole, glaring at me.

Please
or

SoManyTshirts · 18/04/2022 08:19

I know what a flight seat/fly space (in my region) it’s the fold down sideways-facing seats in front of the priority disabled seat.

It seems a weird comment to make. If my theory that you were sitting in the disabled seats and he thought he had a priority claim is correct, perhaps that was the cause of his grumble? We all know not to challenge hidden disabilities, but bus seats are about mobility. (I’m currently on crutches, don’t mean to offend anyone, apologies etc.).

Doesn’t make it right and I’d have been very annoyed too, but written it off as someone having a bad day. If there wasn’t room for you by the fly space, I would have thought any other seat would be more difficult.

Please
or

Pinzotti · 18/04/2022 07:29

We're going to get loads now, but then MN should do something about them anyway

Please
or

Joystir59 · 18/04/2022 07:28

Just Googled 'fly space on a bus' and 'flight seat on a bus'. All that comes up in results is this thread.

Please
or

SmallPrawnEnergy · 18/04/2022 07:24

Hilarious? People are easily pleased I suppose but posters who resurrect zombie threads like this should get a mark against them and if it happens 3 times they’re temporarily banned. It’s so fucking annoying. Especially asinine shite like this.

Please
or

FlibbertyGibbitt · 18/04/2022 07:03

@Hawkins001

Fly ?

Why have you resurrected this ? It’s FIVE years old !!!!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.