Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Giving baby up for adoption and struggling for practical information

NM8448 · 22/05/2016 08:38

Hi

I really hope this is the right place to get some information for my situation.

I am 25 weeks pregnant and will be giving up my baby boy for adoption voluntary at birth.

Basic background: I am in my 30s and fell pregnant shortly after separating from my husband, we already have 4 children, I work full time and can't emotionally cope with raising another child, no safeguarding issues in place and my family has never had any social services investigations or interactions before.
I made the choice based on loving this baby and wanting him to be raised in a loving family environment and although the baby's father and I are together and get on well we both acknowledge we can't provide this baby anyway near the stability and family network that an adoptive couple can..

Financially, emotionally and practically our lives are in complete limbo as we are both going through divorces and struggling to cope with huge life changes after 40 years of marriage between us.

I contacted SS after making the decision 2 months ago and they have carried out an assessment on my Children and family as the first step to this process, all was found to be well with my children and no concerns were raised so I assumed I would be passed to the adoption team by now but this hasn't happened, I got passed to an intermediate team and they don't have the answers I have been anxious to get about how this process works.

I have sought private counselling regarding the adoption and have that support but there are practical questions I am anxious to get the answers to and as the pregnancy progresses I find myself getting more and more anxious about how this works...

All the leaflets and info I have been given are heavily based on children taken away from their families for safeguarding issues or young mums etc, there is very little to help people who make the choice voluntarily...

I worry about how baby is going to feel when he is older about being given up for adoption and want him to know he was loved and cared for not abandoned..

I worry about how things are going to happen straight after the birth, I don't want baby to go into foster care while waiting for parents to be selected by SS.. I want him to be with us for 2 weeks then go to his adoptive parents..

I don't want contact with baby, I want him to bond with his adoptive parents but I would like a pic and a little letter from them once a year just letting me know he's ok and how he is doing.. Is that realistic? How would the adoptive parents cope with that request?

I know about the legal side of things, I understand how that process works.
I need help and advice from birth mums who have done this and adoptive parents who can give me some practical advice on what they would have liked to receive from the birth mum with baby..

For example.. Scan pictures, do I send them with baby to the new parents? Naming baby, do I get to give him a name?

Letters from his brothers and sisters and us, is it helpful to send those with him for the adoptive parents to pass on when he is older?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NM8448 · 15/09/2016 16:57

Hi
Sorry for the absence, it's been more of the same here with things changing and evolving almost daily.

Baby is doing absolutely great, put on weight as opposed to loose it after birth, feeding and sleeping very well. He's such a good baby all round.

I am coming up to the end of the original 2 weeks with him and as my home situation changed I am working with social worker to figure out what's the best thing to do.

3 days after the birth of baby the ex husband broke the news to me that I would not be welcome back home with or without baby. This absolutely threw me off, I had the mindset that baby would go for adoption and my home where my kids are would be my refuge to get myself back together... When this option got taken away I just couldn't handle anything anymore, all the emotional preparation and counselling went out the window, not having a safe place to fall apart in just absolutely gutted me.

While I know the ex husband has no legal rights to keep me away from my home it's not a battle I was prepared to fight as well as adoption and the hormones from post pregnancy.

Social services have agreed that while in "crisis" it's not the time to decide baby's future. I agree...and quite frankly I am not prepared for the absolute huge fallout of whatever decision I make...

If I keep baby there is a guaranteed negative reaction from exes and associated family who inevitably will make life hell.

If I give baby up right now I have nothing to fall back on... Nowhere to hide or recover emotionally.

All I want to do is the right thing by baby.. He's content and doing well and I'm keeping it together because I have him to focus on.

I am really scared of how I would be if he wasn't with me keeping me focused and grounded right now.

My access to my other children has been limited by their father and again I could fight more for that but I am exhausted

OP's posts:
Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 14/09/2016 14:09

Me too Thanks

Please
or

Kr1stina · 14/09/2016 10:05

Me too. Hope you are doing ok

Please
or

confusionoftheillusion · 14/09/2016 06:36

Hi OP - just checking in to say you are in my thoughts every day

Please
or

confusionoftheillusion · 10/09/2016 13:13

Same here - was thinking of you this morning Flowers

Please
or

BuffaloCustardbath · 10/09/2016 12:36

Hope you're all well NM, thinking about you xx

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 05/09/2016 16:50

NM thinking of you. Thanks and huge hugs to baby.

Please
or

Buster5187 · 05/09/2016 11:53

I've read through your thread NM and you've had such a hard time and the most impossible decisions to make. I hope you are doing ok, as well as you can at the moment after the birth of your son and I'm pleased it all went well. Take care of yourself and as you say take each day as it comes Flowers

Please
or

confusionoftheillusion · 05/09/2016 11:51

Congratulations on the birth of your son.
I wish you strength over the coming days.
Thinking of you FlowersCakeBrew

Please
or

FATEdestiny · 04/09/2016 23:26

NM - congratulations on the birth of your beautiful boy. Flowers

It's an emotional time, take care of yourself

Please
or

BuffaloCustardbath · 04/09/2016 22:55

Glad delivery went well NM and you're coping well with the blues. Congratulations on the arrival of your lovely baby.
Does the fact that SS are moving at a slower pace mean that you will have him for longer than 2 weeks? Have his parents been chosen now?
Always here if you need an ear, take good care of yourself and OH.

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 03/09/2016 20:25

Glad all well, NM; how is your partner handling all this?

Are you ok? Bless you.

Please
or

Kr1stina · 03/09/2016 16:42

What haffdonga said

Glad you are both well

Please
or

Haffdonga · 03/09/2016 16:04

Oh my dear, congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy. Flowers

I hope you are being allowed the space with your son to make your own decision in your own time.

Please
or

NM8448 · 03/09/2016 14:29

Hey

He's here, delivery went well, I forgot how helpful gas and air can be!

He's great and beautiful and absolutely lovely in every way.

Had some blues last couple of days but working through them.

Staying with my partner while we have him for this little period of time. He has been really helpful, practical and listening to my ups and downs as well as getting some father/son time with baby too.

I internally freak out everytime I think about the handover but still trying to keep some sort of logical head on.. Nothing in the situation has changed.

Had meeting with social workers yesterday.. They are happy with how he is and they are pushing forward with the plan however at a bit of a slower pace and I'm ok with that at the moment.

I just want to take each day as it comes and hope that I will be more emotionally stable by the time he needs to go to his new parents.

OP's posts:
Please
or

confusionoftheillusion · 02/09/2016 19:36

I was just thinking about you NM. I've been away for a while but been thinking of you loads.

FlowersChocolate

Please
or

anxious123 · 31/08/2016 16:21

Im a birth mum and my circumstances different to yours but if this is what your little one needs and is right for you then its your decision... even after birth you have 6 weeks to change your mind. I havent unfortunatelt read the whole thread but if you do go with adoption consider having letterbox in place, 2 letters on its so very hard but so worth it for me and my birth son. I hope youve got some support in place right now - i had a planned section that came earlier than planned and had very very little support - my birth son was relinquished and you can search my previous posts, if theres anything I can do in the coming weeks/months etc please shout.

Please
or

CadburyChocolateCrunchie · 31/08/2016 14:32

Think of you. I gave up my daughter in similar circumstances to yourself, 5 years ago. I 100% know I did the right thing. I was single and struggling to bring up my two boys on my own.

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 31/08/2016 14:12

Hope all going well.

Please
or

queenc81 · 31/08/2016 12:06

Thinking of you X

Please
or

BuffaloCustardbath · 31/08/2016 11:41

I hope it's all going well NM, thinking of you.

Please
or

Kr1stina · 31/08/2016 10:29

How are things NM?

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 30/08/2016 12:39

Echoing Kristina if it doesn't feel right on the end to go through with adoption, listen to your heart. also echoing others BE NICE to YOU and put YOU first (for once). Xxx Grin

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 30/08/2016 12:36

Praying for all to be well.

Please
or

Kr1stina · 30/08/2016 11:34

Remember it's fine to ask for any pain relief you want, even if you've not needed during your last labours. Every birth is different .

Praying for a safe and easy delivery for you and your son Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.