My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Chat

Acid attack in Clapham

1000 replies

PawsAndReflection · 31/01/2024 23:06

Has anyone else seen this horrible news story? Apparently 9 people have been injured, looks like the original targets were a woman and two children.

What is WRONG with people?!

OP posts:
EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 17:54

These threads are the same

Eventually though more will say hang on no thanks and vote to change it

EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 17:53

Traffickers are pretty good at selling

You need to stop that

Albania is a good example. Returns stop people selling

SquirmOfEels · 04/02/2024 17:52

I think that he would have avoided the DLR because of the need to tap in and out but I wouldn't have been surprised if he had set off on foot towards an address he knew

He'd already made at least two Tube journeys (Clapham South to KingsX, and then KingsX change Victoria to Tower Hill) and if he'd jumped the barriers, he'd have been noticed by staff and transport police would have been on to him as a fare dodger - a complication he'd want to avoid - certainly by the second journey when he's had time to think a bit.

He spent a lot of time in quite random parts of south London in the earlier part of the day - possibly just killing time, but this was a pre-meditated attack (he'd sourced the corrosive substance) and might therefore have been planning how to get away (cars caught on ANPR in so much of London, he might have been planning to ditch the car anyhow). With family in London, he may have been very familiar with TfL systems, and have an unregistered PAYG Oyster. Or some other form of contactless payment card. So it would take a while to find a pattern of cards being used at the right time/location

And on Wednesday night, no-one know there was a man-hunt, or what he looked like, or that he had a facial injury. So he might have got up towards a huge transport hub like Stratford, where there are just so many possibilities of where he could have gone.

And presumably the likelihood of his injury causing big problems depended on how much got on him, and whether its a superficial scab or something that's gone much deeper and possibly also compromised his eye.

But wherever he's gone, he needs food. water, somewhere to hide and ways to pay for stuff. And I think that's why police are now addressing some of their message to those who might have assisted him.

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:52

EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 17:48

SH is a different issue

If people want trafficking and associated crimes to end you need.. a deterrent

thread's going to end soon.

Death doesn't seem to be a deterrent and you wont say you support the allowing of mass drownings.

We don't have anywhere to send 100s of 1000s of migrants (across the UK and EU)

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:50

Like i said, i don't think asylum seekers are prioritised & neither do those granted asylum (as a rule) as "how long you've lived in an area" counts towards entitlement to a proper house.
But yes they may well be housed in B&B or a hostel, the alternative is a tent in the local park.

But yes Councils make dick head decisions.

EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 17:48

SH is a different issue

If people want trafficking and associated crimes to end you need.. a deterrent

OhmygodDont · 04/02/2024 17:46

Right to buy houses monies should have 100% been ring fenced for building new social housing. The government sucks.

That doesn’t however help our own disenfranchised and lacking because others are prioritised above them.

lack of funds is lack of funds from poor management but that doesn’t change how people feel because all that matters it’s they are the ones screwed over while seeing others get what they “deserve” or are “entitled” too despite only just coming here and as such the divide grows even without the crimes committed by some.

OhmygodDont · 04/02/2024 17:41

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:36

All down to a lack of funding.

As of 2022, there were 1.4m people on council house waiting lists, in Cornwall, its 25k people, in Plymouth, there are 11000 people bidding to get to one of 150 houses per year (this is the 3 bed listing only)

Like i said, down here we have v few asylum seekers, its a lack of funding.

I just don’t get what the point was is trying to say a family wasn’t entitled to a 3 bed when they clearly where, then housing them in a more expensive hostel over two rooms and then depriving a community of a damn good worker to then still have to give them a 3 bed and now a life on full benefits. All to house an asylum seeker in this particular area. Since this other house was empty they could have just placed them there.

they used the excuse of a tenancy change due to one adult leaving. When technically that adult being there had them entitled to a 4 bed technically but they survived in a 3bed.

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:36

OhmygodDont · 04/02/2024 17:26

i know all about that one on social housing. A family member and yes I read the paperwork and was actively involved.

Lived in a three bed. Two children different genders and teen. Married couple and grand mother. worked for the local community a 10 minute walk away helping disadvantaged youth and those actually needing help with education/housing etc.

grand mother left. Council said not entitled to 3 bed anymore. Moved into hostel…. Then given here’s the laugh a 3 bed. But in a totally different part of town and a ruin of a place tbh. Their prior fully decorated place…
housed asylum seekers.

So kicked out of one 3 bed to be moved to another 3 bed. Lost their local connections and local work. To house Asylum seekers. Go figure.

Had to leave their job that helped the local community as they didn’t drive and the bus service was a shambles that would take well over an hour and it meant they was no longer only a 10 minute walk from Their disabled husband. So now they have a 3 bed council house in a rough area, and live off full benefits as no job like prior exists in the new area and they cannot be that far away from said husband.

fun stuff councils.

All down to a lack of funding.

As of 2022, there were 1.4m people on council house waiting lists, in Cornwall, its 25k people, in Plymouth, there are 11000 people bidding to get to one of 150 houses per year (this is the 3 bed listing only)

Like i said, down here we have v few asylum seekers, its a lack of funding.

usernamewhatwhat · 04/02/2024 17:32

TheThingIsYeah · 04/02/2024 17:16

@usernamewhatwhat

"She's on the council list for housing but there's a long wait and pretending immigration doesn't affect that is sticking heads in sand. Many accepted asylum seekers are classed as vulnerable and prioritised for social housing. May be different depending where you live but that's how it is where we live"

Are you new here? You do realise that some MNetters will pile on shortly to accuse you of the R word and insist all asylum seekers live off £5 a week because of, well, y'know, evil Tories.

I've lurked before. I don't want to be the r word and hope nobody thinks I am. I was nervous to post because it's difficult to speak about the problem and how it affects people without being accused of being a bad horrible person but this case is so upsetting and feels close to home because of my cousin. We need to be able to talk about the issues and admit there's problems and it's not going to go away by pretending there's no problems.

I feel really sorry for genuine asylum seekers and wish we could take everyone who isn't a violent criminal who wants to come here but we can't take everyone. We can't even help everyone who's already here. We also definitely need better vetting. How can violent men like this acid attacker get their claims accepted? It's wrong and it's vulnerable people particularly women and children suffering the most because of failures to face up to the issues

OhmygodDont · 04/02/2024 17:26

i know all about that one on social housing. A family member and yes I read the paperwork and was actively involved.

Lived in a three bed. Two children different genders and teen. Married couple and grand mother. worked for the local community a 10 minute walk away helping disadvantaged youth and those actually needing help with education/housing etc.

grand mother left. Council said not entitled to 3 bed anymore. Moved into hostel…. Then given here’s the laugh a 3 bed. But in a totally different part of town and a ruin of a place tbh. Their prior fully decorated place…
housed asylum seekers.

So kicked out of one 3 bed to be moved to another 3 bed. Lost their local connections and local work. To house Asylum seekers. Go figure.

Had to leave their job that helped the local community as they didn’t drive and the bus service was a shambles that would take well over an hour and it meant they was no longer only a 10 minute walk from Their disabled husband. So now they have a 3 bed council house in a rough area, and live off full benefits as no job like prior exists in the new area and they cannot be that far away from said husband.

fun stuff councils.

TheSquareMile · 04/02/2024 17:21

SquirmOfEels · 04/02/2024 17:01

It's also only a short walk to change to the DLR

I wonder if he was heading to family/connections in East London - there have been raids on 2 (?) addresses there

I'm not sure how easy it would be to just take a boat from one of the London marinas, and security round them is pretty tight (to prevent theft).

I think that he would have avoided the DLR because of the need to tap in and out but I wouldn't have been surprised if he had set off on foot towards an address he knew.

Walking from where he was to Leyton, where the Police broke into a house, would take him through Victoria Park, Hackney Marshes and the Olympic Park.

He could be hiding out there. Having said that, he doesn't seem to have anything with him.

It's true about the marina having security and being too risky for him, on reflection.

Oh, I don't know ....... what I said to the Security Guard was that all of my guesses would probably turn out to be way off and that we will probably discover that he was found back in the Newcastle area, having hitched a lift.

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:16

usernamewhatwhat · 04/02/2024 17:10

She was in a refuge but they're short term emergency accomodation. The shortage of SH is worse because of immigration. Where we live asylum seekers who've had their claims accepted like the acid attacker's was, are classed as vulnerable and given priority for SH. That makes the waiting lists longer for everyone including women and children fleeing abuse. It also means women and children who've fled abuse and get SH are sometimes housed in the same blocks or next door to violent sexual offenders like this man.

Criminal isn't it?

Down here we have few asylum seekers, still no SH, councils just aren't allowed to build SH from proceeds of council house sales.

So our local council is borrowing 10m to buy up new housing from developers.

I did think that Asylum seekers weren't given SH, of course once asylum granted, they join the waiting list.

SH should be good quality, terraced or semi detached as it used to be, not fire trap blocks of flats.

TheThingIsYeah · 04/02/2024 17:16

@usernamewhatwhat

"She's on the council list for housing but there's a long wait and pretending immigration doesn't affect that is sticking heads in sand. Many accepted asylum seekers are classed as vulnerable and prioritised for social housing. May be different depending where you live but that's how it is where we live"

Are you new here? You do realise that some MNetters will pile on shortly to accuse you of the R word and insist all asylum seekers live off £5 a week because of, well, y'know, evil Tories.

usernamewhatwhat · 04/02/2024 17:10

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:00

This is personally a huge issue for me.

The funding cuts to domestic violence refuges is a scandal, 50% of women fleeing DV get no help at all.

Why has the Govt just given out 20 billion in tax cuts? with a further 6 billion (rumoured) for the Spring budget?

Immigration is not the issue , funding cuts are, DV is one of those services that can be cut as most people don't use them, so no one cares, until it does.

Your cousin should have been safe in a DV, not moved on & councils should provide good quality SH for the vulnerable.

She was in a refuge but they're short term emergency accomodation. The shortage of SH is worse because of immigration. Where we live asylum seekers who've had their claims accepted like the acid attacker's was, are classed as vulnerable and given priority for SH. That makes the waiting lists longer for everyone including women and children fleeing abuse. It also means women and children who've fled abuse and get SH are sometimes housed in the same blocks or next door to violent sexual offenders like this man.

EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 17:06

Puzzledandpissedoff · 04/02/2024 17:00

I wouldn't say a "con" exactly, since it's as clear as a freshly washed window - see also the reluctance of certain media to report attacks at all

I'd hope we all appreciate the importance of avoiding reprisals, especially on innocent people, but for me it's the balance which is wrong and the absolute determination of some to shut down discussion doesn't help

It’s a racket a huge money making racket

For lawyers, traffickers and charities

People too worried about putting in a deterrent which is the only thing that will work

Starmer looms with sound bites and sod all. We’ll be the easiest place to go

I can’t believe this discussion is still going round in circles, those who want more of the same ie NO deterrent must be nuts

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:01

Notaflippinclue · 04/02/2024 16:53

And why do you think his mugshot didn't go up for hours and hours, or why men committing crimes are being documented as women or rapists quoted as being local and not mentioning they aren't born here it's all a big con

After 14 years of the Cons, Con in deed.

Its an utter disgrace.

SquirmOfEels · 04/02/2024 17:01

TheSquareMile · 04/02/2024 16:40

I gather that the last place he was picked up on camera was Tower Hill, coming out of the tube station.

I was talking to a security guard not far from there this afternoon and tried to imagine why Ezedi would have chosen to come off the tube network there - it's an odd spot at which to emerge; he could have continued out of town on the District Line or the DLR, but he got off at Tower Hill, where he would have been quite visible.

If he had jumped on a bus, he would have been picked up on camera and his card or pass would have registered, so the only options from there would be a taxi (far too risky), a private car or on foot.

I have wondered whether he thinks that walking along the river in the direction of Wapping/Greenwich would mean access to a boat allowing him to get further down the river and then on to a ship leaving UK waters.

There is a big marina not far from where he got off the tube at St Katharine Dock; it would only take about ten minutes to walk there.

It's also only a short walk to change to the DLR

I wonder if he was heading to family/connections in East London - there have been raids on 2 (?) addresses there

I'm not sure how easy it would be to just take a boat from one of the London marinas, and security round them is pretty tight (to prevent theft).

Puzzledandpissedoff · 04/02/2024 17:00

And why do you think his mugshot didn't go up for hours and hours, or why men committing crimes are being documented as women or rapists quoted as being local and not mentioning they aren't born here it's all a big con

I wouldn't say a "con" exactly, since it's as clear as a freshly washed window - see also the reluctance of certain media to report attacks at all

I'd hope we all appreciate the importance of avoiding reprisals, especially on innocent people, but for me it's the balance which is wrong and the absolute determination of some to shut down discussion doesn't help

jasflowers · 04/02/2024 17:00

usernamewhatwhat · 04/02/2024 16:53

I didn't want to post this as it's not my story to tell so I can't give too many details. My cousin fled domestic abuse. She was initially placed in a refuge but then moved on to temporary accommodation. It was an HMO. Some of the residents were male asylum seekers. I think they'd already had their claims accepted like this acid attacker.

Sexual and violent offenders are slipping through the net and women and children are being put at extra risk. It's extra upsetting for my family because my cousin felt so unsafe in the accommodation that she ended up getting back together with her violent husband. One of the women in the temporary accommodation she was in was sexually assaulted not long after she left. She left her husband again and stayed on our sofa but it wasn't practical long term and difficult for my husband and kids. We don't have a big home. She's back with her husband again and it's really upsetting for the whole family. We feel helpless. She's on the council list for housing but there's a long wait and pretending immigration doesn't affect that is sticking heads in sand. Many accepted asylum seekers are classed as vulnerable and prioritised for social housing. May be different depending where you live but that's how it is where we live

Women and children's safety is affected by this issue and it's wrong to ignore this

This is personally a huge issue for me.

The funding cuts to domestic violence refuges is a scandal, 50% of women fleeing DV get no help at all.

Why has the Govt just given out 20 billion in tax cuts? with a further 6 billion (rumoured) for the Spring budget?

Immigration is not the issue , funding cuts are, DV is one of those services that can be cut as most people don't use them, so no one cares, until it does.

Your cousin should have been safe in a DV, not moved on & councils should provide good quality SH for the vulnerable.

EasternStandard · 04/02/2024 16:54

It really is.

Puzzledandpissedoff · 04/02/2024 16:41

Excellent link from Migrationwatch, Grannysmithsfrisbee, but it gets worse with piece below linked within it

It has quite a bit to say concerning lies about age, and I doubt many forget being invited to cheer over "children" being welcomed, only to see hordes of men who were clearly anything but

And even then the enablers - the very ones who'd insisted age assessments were inhumane - piled on with the excuses

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/news/2020/09/03/we-are-a-magnet-for-failed-asylum-claimants

Edited

usernamewhatwhat · 04/02/2024 16:53

I didn't want to post this as it's not my story to tell so I can't give too many details. My cousin fled domestic abuse. She was initially placed in a refuge but then moved on to temporary accommodation. It was an HMO. Some of the residents were male asylum seekers. I think they'd already had their claims accepted like this acid attacker.

Sexual and violent offenders are slipping through the net and women and children are being put at extra risk. It's extra upsetting for my family because my cousin felt so unsafe in the accommodation that she ended up getting back together with her violent husband. One of the women in the temporary accommodation she was in was sexually assaulted not long after she left. She left her husband again and stayed on our sofa but it wasn't practical long term and difficult for my husband and kids. We don't have a big home. She's back with her husband again and it's really upsetting for the whole family. We feel helpless. She's on the council list for housing but there's a long wait and pretending immigration doesn't affect that is sticking heads in sand. Many accepted asylum seekers are classed as vulnerable and prioritised for social housing. May be different depending where you live but that's how it is where we live

Women and children's safety is affected by this issue and it's wrong to ignore this

Puzzledandpissedoff · 04/02/2024 16:41

Excellent link from Migrationwatch, Grannysmithsfrisbee, but it gets worse with piece below linked within it

It has quite a bit to say concerning lies about age, and I doubt many forget being invited to cheer over "children" being welcomed, only to see hordes of men who were clearly anything but

And even then the enablers - the very ones who'd insisted age assessments were inhumane - piled on with the excuses

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/news/2020/09/03/we-are-a-magnet-for-failed-asylum-claimants

TheSquareMile · 04/02/2024 16:40

I gather that the last place he was picked up on camera was Tower Hill, coming out of the tube station.

I was talking to a security guard not far from there this afternoon and tried to imagine why Ezedi would have chosen to come off the tube network there - it's an odd spot at which to emerge; he could have continued out of town on the District Line or the DLR, but he got off at Tower Hill, where he would have been quite visible.

If he had jumped on a bus, he would have been picked up on camera and his card or pass would have registered, so the only options from there would be a taxi (far too risky), a private car or on foot.

I have wondered whether he thinks that walking along the river in the direction of Wapping/Greenwich would mean access to a boat allowing him to get further down the river and then on to a ship leaving UK waters.

There is a big marina not far from where he got off the tube at St Katharine Dock; it would only take about ten minutes to walk there.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.