My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Chat

Hot water bottle

53 replies

Littleguggi · 14/10/2022 23:33

Can anyone recommend a decent hot water bottle that actually stays hot? I.e. it basically does what it's supposed to do!

The one I have currently, I am having to replace the hot water 3-4-5 times a day!

OP posts:
TheSpottedZebra · 14/10/2022 23:35

That seems normal, no? If you want it super toasty.

But it is the cover that you need to be nice and insulating.

ofwarren · 14/10/2022 23:35

That's normal
Hot water bottles cool down after an hour or so.
Get an electric blanket if you want continuous heat.

Sugaspunsista · 14/10/2022 23:36

My white company one stays warm all day.

Littleguggi · 14/10/2022 23:36

I had one years ago that I would take to bed with me in the eve and it would still be warm in the morning.

OP posts:
ComeOnThenFanny · 14/10/2022 23:37

Hot water bottles don't stay hot all day! I have several in the winter, all with covers. I'm always remaking them because I like them hot.

Littleguggi · 14/10/2022 23:37

The white company one seems to have increased by £10 compared to this time last year when I brought it as a gift for someone.

OP posts:
ItisallPooh · 14/10/2022 23:41

My hot water bottle from boots was still warm tonight when I went to refill it. It had been in my bed since yesterday evening. It wasn't really hot but definitely still warm.

Littleguggi · 14/10/2022 23:43

@ItisallPooh do you have a link to the one you have? I think keeping it under covers does help to keep it warm.

OP posts:
MsGrahamCheese · 14/10/2022 23:44

I would say you need a different cover, try a sheep's fleece one.

They stay warm for longer the more insulated they are, the ones you remember probably got wrapped up more in bed than the one youre using now

FatAgainItsLettuceTime · 14/10/2022 23:48

If you take a hot water bottle to bed it will still be lukewarm in the morning because it's been up against you and under a duvet. During the day when you're moving around and it's more exposed to the room temperature they do need to be refilled a couple of times.

I always have a cover on mine either fleece or a knitted one (acrylic) and at most they stay hot for 3-4 hrs during the day, when I pour the water out it's definitely not stone cold it's Luke warm but not enough to make it feel hot on the outside (if that makes sense).

SarahDippity · 14/10/2022 23:48

Littleguggi · 14/10/2022 23:37

The white company one seems to have increased by £10 compared to this time last year when I brought it as a gift for someone.

Of course keeping it under the covers will keep it warm longer, as it’s insulated. I’ve a fab M&S one from a few year ago in a thick fluffy cover. It looks a bit raggy these days but it sits on my lap when I’m working in winter.

TheSpottedZebra · 14/10/2022 23:55

£4 in primark!

And save the money you don't spend on a more expensive one, and spend the savings on more kettle boilings!

They deffo stay warmer longer the more insulated they are. Have you anything extra you could wrap the HWB in?

JohnsShirt · 14/10/2022 23:55

You'd be better with an electric blanket, I love mine, as do my cats!

mrsfollowill · 15/10/2022 00:04

I cannot use a hot water bottle after witnessing one burst all over someone's lap! It was horrendous - she had a load of boiling hot water cascade over her thighs and legs- this was in an office- got taken to hospital very quickly but was awful - so, so painful. Luckily not scarred but nope- have never used one again and never will.

SliceOfCakeCupOfTea · 15/10/2022 00:10

I still use the same cover i got for Christmas when I was 8 but change the bottle. Currently have a bottle from boots and it's always still warm in the morning

Liebig · 15/10/2022 00:20

mrsfollowill · 15/10/2022 00:04

I cannot use a hot water bottle after witnessing one burst all over someone's lap! It was horrendous - she had a load of boiling hot water cascade over her thighs and legs- this was in an office- got taken to hospital very quickly but was awful - so, so painful. Luckily not scarred but nope- have never used one again and never will.

They put boiling water in a hot water bottle and were shocked when it ruptured?

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

blacksax · 15/10/2022 00:26

Liebig · 15/10/2022 00:20

They put boiling water in a hot water bottle and were shocked when it ruptured?

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

I've been doing that for years. Not when the kettle has literally just boiled, but certainly within a minute or so.

MsGrahamCheese · 15/10/2022 00:26

I confess I use freshly boiled water in my hwb 😐 I only half fill it and make sure the air is pushed out and replace them every 3 years or so but still...

Tbh I'm not sure how they're effective with cooler water...maybe I should start topping them up with cold though.

Trinkethearth · 15/10/2022 06:20

I have a hot water bottle from Boots. It's hot all night and still slightly warm if I leave it in the bed all day. Until I remember to fill it up again in the evening.

I used to use just boiled water too. I have never had a hot water bottle rupture. I did however have water spurt out whilst filling up. I have a bad burn over my breast that took a long time to heal and left me with a big scar. So take care using boiled water.

aramox1 · 15/10/2022 06:30

Sheepskin cover keeps them warm til morning

hulahoopqueen · 15/10/2022 06:43

Mine has a knitted cover (acrylic I'm pretty sure), one of my favourite ever gifts from MIL!
I'm pretty pragmatic that it won't stay hot that long, but I always boil a full kettle of a cold morning and fill the hot water bottle, then keep the rest in chilly's bottles so when I need to refill it's immediate!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MyCatsSlave · 15/10/2022 07:42

I used near boiling water and the hot water bottle burst all over my leg, the pain was horrendous and I got large 2nd degree burns that took a long time to heal. Still use a hot water bottle but now replace annually and put a bit of cold in first

Cuppaand2biscuits · 15/10/2022 07:45

Trespass, £17.99
I've just bought 2 more, the 2 I've had for last few years stay warm all night.
They are noticeably better than other ones I have.

dudsville · 15/10/2022 07:48

This is going to be about your bottle cover i think and not the bottle itself perhaps. My cover is so insulated that i can take it to bed and in the morning the bottle is still warm inside the cover even though its only just warm to the touch on the outside.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.