Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Electric heated throw versus electric blanket

12 replies

Kenton · 27/09/2022 15:15

Is there any difference between the above? Can a heated electric throw only be used whilst sitting on the settee? I've just ordered a Dreamland electric throw which I thought would double up as a heated blanket that I could put on top of my duvet to warm the bed up before I got into it.

OP posts:
Please
or

gingeristhenewblack43 · 27/09/2022 15:18

No we have 3 and my DD has one of them on top of her duvet to warm her up in bed.

Please
or

lobsterkiller · 27/09/2022 15:18

A heated blanked goes under the bed sheet, a throw goes on top. The don't recommend lying under a throw. I have a throw, i put it on top of me and on top of the duvet and run it a few hours before I go to bed. I've not wrecked it or set myself on fire yet.

Please
or

gingeristhenewblack43 · 27/09/2022 15:19

I think of an electric blanket as one of those ones that goes under your bed sheet to warm the bed up.

Please
or

OhMerde · 27/09/2022 15:20

You can put a heated throw in your bed to take the chill off but they're not specifically for that purpose and don't really get quite as hot as an actual electric blanket. If I was only buying one tho, I'd get the throw and use it in bed aswell (not sure how safe they are to actually sleep on tho?).

Please
or

Kenton · 27/09/2022 15:32

Brilliant, thought I'd ordered the wrong thing. I really wanted it to put on top of my duvet to take the cold away before getting into bed. I won't be sleeping on top of the electric throw. Thanks for all your replies.

OP posts:
Please
or

lobsterkiller · 27/09/2022 17:26

And mine is a dreamland. I'm under it now. At first I was disappointed but love it!

Please
or

Sally99 · 27/09/2022 17:46

I cannot live without my electric blanket. Happy to go without all other heating but my blanket is essential!

Please
or

dragonbreaths · 27/09/2022 17:50

I've got both. I make a sandwich of them when its really cold and bake myself in between them

Please
or

StopStreet · 27/09/2022 17:52

lobsterkiller · 27/09/2022 17:26

And mine is a dreamland. I'm under it now. At first I was disappointed but love it!

@lobsterkiller why were you disappointed? 😮 mine is being delivered tomorrow!

Please
or

Branleuse · 27/09/2022 17:58

In my experience, an electric underblanket is much cosier, but i have a memory foam mattress and i think it made it sag, so i got a heated throw, which is still nice, but not quite as lovely

Please
or

middleager · 27/09/2022 18:14

I have the dreamland throw on now, I love it. I went thtough 2 non branded ones previously off Amazon, which lasted a day in total, as faulty.

I have a Dreamland heated electric mattress topper having previously had an electric underblanket and overblanket. The current one is my favourite, as can't feel the wires - heats up a treat (thanks MN for recommendations)

My kids have electric duvets - from Dreamland. They're only ok, not very thick and they don't heat up that well.

Thinking I could start an AMA thread based on this amount of electric throws and blankets we have had. I've always had some sort of electric blanket. I used to wfh from under one. Now I drape a throw over me (with an Oodie).

I think the cat wants a heated pad now to complete the collection.

Please
or

lobsterkiller · 27/09/2022 19:47

@StopStreet I just thought it would be hotter and instant. My expectations are sometimes off lol, I have it on setting 3 and it does keep you toasty without making you lethargic. If I put it over the duvet I have it lower as you will be too warm. I'm a definite convert. I hope you enjoy it!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?