Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I’ve “found” a new book and want to share it.

CormoranStrike · 27/12/2021 10:30

Honest, I am neither the publisher nor the author, but I’m loving a wee freebie find on kindle unlimited.

I’m terrible for sticking to one genre - mainly crime, tartan noir etc - think Rankin, Mina, McDermid etc.

But the algorithm on Facebook served me an ad for a booked called Losers Club by Yvonne Vincent and I’ve really taken to it.

Yes, there’s a murder, but the murder itself is just a plot device for this funny story of old friends meeting up again, island life and post divorce re-awakening, and the author has a really funny, natural story telling style.

I’m only about half way through, but it’s making me smile and laugh, so I thought I’d share it.

And if anyone wants to add their own suggestions I may be tempted to swerve my usual genre more.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CormoranStrike · 26/01/2022 06:29

[quote VonnyV]@CormoranStrike I’m the author. So glad you enjoyed my book and thank you for telling people about it.[/quote]
Thank you for commenting - I genuinely loved your book, it was a delight with really engaging characters.

Have you more planned @VonnyV ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CormoranStrike · 26/01/2022 06:32

@OwlInLove

Is it easy reading and instantly engaging *@CormoranStrike* ? I'm in a book slump and also have low concentration right now as so busy so need something I can immediately get into

@OwlInLove sorry for the late reply - yes, definitely east to get into, but in a good way. Easy to digest, but with enough about it to keep you interested.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Fetchthevet · 26/01/2022 06:47

@WeatherwaxLives

I'm unexpectedly enjoying a book by SJ Bennett called Windsor Knot.

The plot is there is a murder in Windsor Castle and the Queen solves it, she has to steer the investigators in the right direction without them knowing she's doing it.

It's utterly daft, I expected something a bit meh, but it's well written and I've already bought the other book in the series to read when I finish this one!

I'm reading this too and really enjoying it! It was one that I picked up in The Works as part of their 3 books for £5. Didnt know there was another one on the series, will look it up.
Please
or

AllTheYoungGoodyTwoShoes · 26/01/2022 06:55

@CormoranStrike thank you for the recommendation and how lovely that the author @VonnyV has seen it!

Please
or

VonnyV · 26/01/2022 12:48

I’m currently writing Losers Club 2, with a goal to finish it by March. So far, Mrs Hubbard has been arrested for poisoning the islanders and a film crew are visiting the island. There will be a lost Jacobite treasure and murder involved. Am also contemplating a prequel to another book, Frock In Hell, set in the 1990s. Quite looking forward to a trip down memory lane with that one 😊

Please
or

SniffMyFeet · 26/01/2022 13:33

@VonnyV

I’m currently writing Losers Club 2, with a goal to finish it by March. So far, Mrs Hubbard has been arrested for poisoning the islanders and a film crew are visiting the island. There will be a lost Jacobite treasure and murder involved. Am also contemplating a prequel to another book, Frock In Hell, set in the 1990s. Quite looking forward to a trip down memory lane with that one 😊

Aargh stop @VonnyV, don't tell us any more! They'll get me through the next through weeks
No spoilers please
Please
or

CormoranStrike · 26/01/2022 14:24

Great stuff @VonnyV keep writing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SniffMyFeet · 26/01/2022 21:28

Just got @VonnyV book and Windsor knot thanks for the recommendations vipers!

Please
or

VonnyV · 26/01/2022 21:56

@SniffMyFeet thank you.

Please
or

spagbog5 · 30/01/2022 15:00

@CormoranStrike
Thanks so much for the recommendation!
I'm loving Losers Club and just sat crying with laughter at Mrs Hubbard in the freezer 😂

Please
or

CormoranStrike · 30/01/2022 15:02

[quote spagbog5]@CormoranStrike
Thanks so much for the recommendation!
I'm loving Losers Club and just sat crying with laughter at Mrs Hubbard in the freezer 😂[/quote]
Glad you like it, it absolutely tickled me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

foxywheaton75 · 30/01/2022 15:03

Thanks great thread, making note of all these books

Please
or

Foxyloxy1plus1 · 30/01/2022 16:49

I’ve just downloaded that on a Kindle Unlimited trial.

Thank you.

Please
or

CormoranStrike · 31/01/2022 08:05

I’ve just finished Windsor Knot and thoroughly enjoyed it, and Samantha Bond’s narration of it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

nzeire · 31/01/2022 08:21

How cool is this!
No copy at my library (nz), I will request!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.