Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are there any conspiracy theories you actually believe?

AnxiousAngelina · 07/12/2021 07:28

Inspired by another thread. Come on even if they're mad ones... fess up.

I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago and thinking it's not 100% impossible that Tupac faked his death!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PermanentTemporary · 08/12/2021 16:23

Feeling a bit nostalgic for the 'God was an alien' and 'Pope John Paul I was murdered' conspiracy theories of yesteryear.

Oh, there's one I do believe! Roberto Calvi was murdered by the Mafia, I'm sure of that, and I do think that there is a lot if looking the other way in government, yes. I don't know though where organised crime really shades into conspiracy theories.

Please
or

scaevola · 08/12/2021 16:06

I'm just saying that, if it had been the case that a member of the RF or a high-ranking British diplomat had insisted on her being seen by their nominated person, I can't see them being refused

It's about 90 mins by helicopter from London to Paris. And of course flights are public record, so it would be readily discoverable if there had been any such flight bringing a doctor (would surely have to be an actual doctor to be able to assess what to do and how to do it leaving no trace if admittance permitted)

But it seems implausible that all those who gave sworn statements to the enquiry omitted to mention a visitor. And it wouid take a remarkable amount of people to be involved to conceal any such visitor. Hard to arrange beforehand, unless you could fix which hospital she wouid be taken to (you'd need cooperation of French paramedics and dispatchers) and impossible, I would have thought, to arrange in a watertight way once the event was unfolding. For wouldn't it be memorably odd for nurses, police, doctors, ward receptionists and other admin all to be briefed in short order, and all be willing and able to conspire? Not to mention the Embassy staff who were there, and of course the press who were asking questions right left and centre

Please
or

Velvian · 08/12/2021 15:59

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, I can't be arsed to RTFT😅, but there is a podcast on the Wind of Change theory

open.spotify.com/show/3vikAuFxKVNe2GBZC61IYD?si=LoE2ClHUTweF4W9iHqnNqw&utm_source=copy-link

After listening, I was left feeling that the CIA probably didn't write the song, but that they engineered the concert Moscow Music Peace Festival in 1989. This was the trip where the song was written.

All of the bands where managed by Doc McGhee and it seems likely it was arranged as a plea deal for Doc McGhee's hefty drug offences.

I don't think you can dismiss every subversive theory. Do you believe the Russian narrative that 2 FSB agents visited Salisbury for the cathedral spire? When does something become a conspiracy theory?

Please
or

Dita73 · 08/12/2021 15:54

@jollygreenpea I didn’t say Prince Philip was blocking it but that’s what Fayed was saying at the time

Please
or

Unmerited · 08/12/2021 15:29

@BurnedToast

I'm not having my booster vaccine. Always been compliant with vaccines and definitely not one for conspiracy. But j cannot get me head round having 3 vaccines in 9 months . That is by definition not a vaccine. It's at best a short term prophalactic.

You might need to let your GP know the updated definition of vaccine then, as they give babies 3 if the 6-in-1 vaccine in 16 weeks. They might not be aware that you’ve updated the official definition of vaccine.
Please
or

loveandkindness · 08/12/2021 15:20

@BoredZelda

Surely it's more honest to state that "I read somewhere" at the outset rather than instantly declaring that you know it to be definitely true?

It is honest, but the problem is how that information is treated. When it comes to conspiracy theories, any that start with that line, then is repeated and it becomes that lots of people have reported the same thing. Then what happens is people find spurious “evidence” that could perhaps point to that thing having been true. More pertinently it tends to be things that can only be refuted is by people having to prove a negative which is incredibly difficult to do. Conspiracy theories often thrive because even the factual evidence provided is disbelieved or people’s biases interpret it to be actually proving their case.

I think people have a responsibility to provide their sources when presenting any sort of information as quasi factual. The thing PP said was provably false and misleading. But it would be interesting to see where it came from. If it was from //www.official911report.gov that puts a different spin on it than if it came from //www.911wasdonebythegovernemnt.com

I'm genuinely curious...

What's the difference between 'I read somewhere' and what the OP posted at the start of the thread -

"I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago..."

Are you going to ask everyone to this thread to tell YOU where they got their information (which could deemed just as misleading as mine). Or are you just singling me out to make a point?
Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 14:39

That is very true – BUT, equally, there does exist a certain snobbery around information discovered and shared online. Some people will still dismissively say “Oh, is that something you read on the internet ?!” regardless of the credibility of the source on the world’s main platform for sharing knowledge and information. You hear people scoff at those worried about their health who have “consulted Dr Google, have you?” – even though the information they have researched may have all come from the NHS website and similar.

Even my 12 year old knows the difference between what’s credible on the internet and what isn’t. The scoffing will usually come because of the information itself rather than the fact it came from the internet. Of someone says “I read on the internet that Mount Everest is over 8,000m high” nobody is going to scoff at that. If they said “I read on the internet that there is a family of yetis who live on Mount Everest” then the scoffing begins.

Same with health. “Dr, I looked at Google and my symptoms are of a rare disorder only ever found in the rainforest” or “Dr, I looked at Google and it seems my symptoms might be tonsillitis” two very different things.

Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 14:30

Surely it's more honest to state that "I read somewhere" at the outset rather than instantly declaring that you know it to be definitely true?

It is honest, but the problem is how that information is treated. When it comes to conspiracy theories, any that start with that line, then is repeated and it becomes that lots of people have reported the same thing. Then what happens is people find spurious “evidence” that could perhaps point to that thing having been true. More pertinently it tends to be things that can only be refuted is by people having to prove a negative which is incredibly difficult to do. Conspiracy theories often thrive because even the factual evidence provided is disbelieved or people’s biases interpret it to be actually proving their case.

I think people have a responsibility to provide their sources when presenting any sort of information as quasi factual. The thing PP said was provably false and misleading. But it would be interesting to see where it came from. If it was from //www.official911report.gov that puts a different spin on it than if it came from //www.911wasdonebythegovernemnt.com

Please
or

jollygreenpea · 08/12/2021 13:32

Mohammed al Fayed had pissed off the royals years before Dodi got with Diana when he said that the reason he couldn’t get a British passport was because Prince Philip was blocking it

Mohamed al Fayed had been after a British passport for years, but the government kept blocking it due to some dodgy dealing al Fayed was mixed up with. It was nothing to do with Prince Philip or any other royal.

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 08/12/2021 12:39

I read somewhere that…

The hallmark of every good conspiracy theory.

But surely that's the first step of any new information that you may wish to look into further - whether you've read that the royals are lizards or that Tesco have an amazing offer on clothes.

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 08/12/2021 12:35

So you DO believe that it was at least partially a conspiracy by the US authorities, then?

No, I believe there was a cover up of the authorities’ failings. That’s entirely different from a conspiracy to drop the towers.

But two or more people making deliberate plans to deceive others - that's exactly what a conspiracy is. Whether it's a relatively small matter or a gigantic tyranny, it's still the very definition of a conspiracy.

Please
or

loveandkindness · 08/12/2021 12:25

@Swirlywoo

My new favourite is the Dandelion one. I will now definitely repeat this, prefixed by "I heard somewhere that".

Everything written in this thread has been heard somewhere. Unless it's been seen somewhere, or course.
Please
or

dropitlikeitsloth · 08/12/2021 11:59

@Bouledeneige

dropitlieitsloth I don't really think the earth is flat. I've flown round it too often to believe that. Oh and I'm not an idiot!

Where did I say you were a idiot? Sorry if that was implied in my writing, even if you did believe it I wouldn’t have called you an idiot.

I’m fascinated by conspiracy theories and was genuinely asking. Smile
Please
or

Swirlywoo · 08/12/2021 11:58

My new favourite is the Dandelion one. I will now definitely repeat this, prefixed by "I heard somewhere that".

Please
or

JesusSufferingFuck22 · 08/12/2021 11:54

Actually heard on the BBC news a reporter starting their sentence with "I heard somewhere......"

Please
or

Negligee · 08/12/2021 11:53

That is very true – BUT, equally, there does exist a certain snobbery around information discovered and shared online. Some people will still dismissively say “Oh, is that something you read on the internet ?!” regardless of the credibility of the source on the world’s main platform for sharing knowledge and information. You hear people scoff at those worried about their health who have “consulted Dr Google, have you?” – even though the information they have researched may have all come from the NHS website and similar.

Well, you've put your finger on it -- there's information and information available via the internet, and it's necessary to check sources to be able to arrive at any approximation of whether something is credible or not. (For instance, in order to demonstrate the fallibility of Wikipedia, every year before I gave a first year class on sources and referencing, I would temporarily alter a Wiki entry on a small town to claim it had had a well-known werewolf infestation in year X.)

But there's no reason why something on the internet shouldn't be properly sourced, and those sources given.

Please
or

JesusSufferingFuck22 · 08/12/2021 11:52

[quote ZimZamZoom]I fully believe we are living in a simulation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis[/quote]
Totally. The Matrix blew my mind. Read your Wikipedia link and had an "aha!" moment. That's where The Sims name came from🤦🏻‍♀️

Please
or

CounsellorTroi · 08/12/2021 11:45

BTW I’m still struggling with this plasma moon, craters looking like reflections of the Earth theory…in my younger days, before the world wide wait was invented, when I had time for hobbies I spent quite a bit of time peering with my own eyes at the Moon through a fairly high powered telescope and never noticed the phenomenon. Obviously I was not doing the right sort of research…..now that the internet has come along I must go and re-educate myself and re-align my thinking grin

Well exactly, anyone looking at the moon through an average pair of binoculars can tell it’s a real solid spherical thing. For fuck’s sake.

Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 11:34

I read somewhere that…

The hallmark of every good conspiracy theory.

Please
or

Mummyford · 08/12/2021 11:23

Regarding 911, I read somewhere that they found the terrorists passports and papers in the raging inferno but they couldn't find the plane's black box.

Citation please…

The Data Recorders from Flight 93 were recovered, the circumstances of the other crashes (especially the post crash fires) were way outside the recorders design specification..

As I recall things some of the hijackers paperwork was found in cars or a car they left at ? Boston Logan airport.

@notimagain

Always amazed by how many people seem to believe something based on 'I read somewhere'. I mean, surely you can read anything somewhere. Why would you believe it? Confused

Please
or

BoredZelda · 08/12/2021 11:20

So you DO believe that it was at least partially a conspiracy by the US authorities, then?

No, I believe there was a cover up of the authorities’ failings. That’s entirely different from a conspiracy to drop the towers.

Hillsborough to begin. Grenfell, you really believe the low death toll?

Hillsborough was never really considered to be a conspiracy theory other than that comment from that one judge. As I said, they had factual evidence. As for Grenfell, I’m not across the detail but I assume if more people died, it would be very easy to prove. Either way, you can’t claim it has been proven to be true.

Any others?

Please
or

Bouledeneige · 08/12/2021 11:03

dropitlieitsloth I don't really think the earth is flat. I've flown round it too often to believe that. Oh and I'm not an idiot!

Please
or

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername · 08/12/2021 10:58

Definitely 9/11 and Diana for me

But curious as to why Courtney Love would want Kurt dead....can anyone enlighten me?

Please
or

Hodl · 08/12/2021 10:55

9/11
Diana's death
New World Order / Georgia guidestones
Switching of Titanic and Olympic
Covid

Not saying I necessarily believe all the theories but they are very interesting!

Please
or

notimagain · 08/12/2021 10:47

Regarding 911, I read somewhere that they found the terrorists passports and papers in the raging inferno but they couldn't find the plane's black box.

Citation please…

The Data Recorders from Flight 93 were recovered, the circumstances of the other crashes (especially the post crash fires) were way outside the recorders design specification..

As I recall things some of the hijackers paperwork was found in cars or a car they left at ? Boston Logan airport.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.