Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are there any conspiracy theories you actually believe?

AnxiousAngelina · 07/12/2021 07:28

Inspired by another thread. Come on even if they're mad ones... fess up.

I cant remember the details but I remember doing a bit of online research years ago and thinking it's not 100% impossible that Tupac faked his death!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BobbieT1999 · 10/12/2021 21:05

@Bouledeneige

Moon missions are astonishingly expensive and there's not much more to learn by visiting it.

I read this as "moons are astonishingly expensive" and that leads to a conspiracy theory I'm here for!!
Please
or

Sn0tnose · 10/12/2021 20:55

I don’t believe Epstein committed suicide. Or David Kelly.

Also, I don’t believe that Bin Laden was killed. He would have known loads of stuff, so why would they shoot him before interrogating him? I expect he’s dead now, but I think he was probably whisked away to an underground bunker somewhere first.

Please
or

Backstreetsbackalrightdadada · 10/12/2021 19:54

Moon - didn’t they put a small mirror on the moon, and if you shine a lazer up it’ll hit it? Saw in on Big Bang Theory so must be true! (Also know too many poor scientists from uni who say the moon landing was real but what isn’t is safety - America and russia spent the least they could doing it)

Please
or

notimagain · 10/12/2021 19:16

@Bouledeneige

Moon missions are astonishingly expensive and there's not much more to learn by visiting it.

First part of that response is certainly true…OTOH I’m not sure many scientists would agree that after 6 “hit and run” missions there is not much left to learn.
Please
or

Bouledeneige · 10/12/2021 18:57

Please
or

notimagain · 10/12/2021 18:57

@Lozzie86

Moon landing, I'm sceptical because with all the tech we have now why isn't it continuing to happen?

(Apologies for those that have heard this before).

Since the late sixties we have continuously had the required “tech” in various forms..but ”we” didn’t continue to go for two reasons, Politics and Money.

..and for more detail you end up with a history lesson:

During the Cold War the States wanted to be seen as leader of the world, yet in 57 the Soviets beat them into space with Sputnik 1, in April 61 the Soviets got a man in space first (Gagarin) all highly embarrassing to a youngish President Kennedy.

In the wake of Gagarin’s flight Kennedy got his key scientific advisors together and asked, in effect, “when can we beat the Soviets in being first at something in space?”.

The advisors hummed and hawed and came to the conclusion that by spending a shedload of money, by putting large chunks of American industry and academia on almost a war footing, and by being prepared to take some fairly colossal risks the US could beat the Soviets to the Moon.

And so the decision was made to go to the Moon by the end of the decade, and it was so…problem was once the Americans did beat the Russians to the Moon everybody mostly said ..”OK, job done, now let’s do something else”

The politicians decided money needed to go elsewhere and the funding for the Moon landings started to dry up. Then Apollo 13 happened and the prospect of casualties on future missions scared the pants off Nixon and the brakes really went on, funds for going to the Moon stopped with Apollo 17 in 72.

In conclusion there’s been no reason technically why man or woman couldn’t have gone back to the Moon since 72…..there simply hasn’t been a political will to find the money required for any such effort.

Hope that helps.
Please
or

Lozzie86 · 10/12/2021 18:28

Moon landing, I'm sceptical because with all the tech we have now why isn't it continuing to happen?

Please
or

ChannelLightVessel · 10/12/2021 17:53

Another good book is ‘Unnatural Causes’ by Richard Shepherd, the memoir of a forensic pathologist. He was involved in a review of evidence in the death of Princess Diana. Apparently, she seemed relatively OK at first, but had torn a vein in her lung, something hard to diagnose and even harder to treat.

Please
or

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 10/12/2021 17:45

Michael Jackson faked his own death. 100%

Please
or

ChannelLightVessel · 10/12/2021 17:38

‘Contested Will’ by James Shapiro (a US professor) is a fascinating and fun read. He does believe Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare.

Please
or

LookslovelyinSpringtime · 10/12/2021 16:44

@Nanalisa60

Okbye
Totally agree with you my DH has made quite a lot on crypto , another 10/20 years it will be one of the main currencies. I have invested some money not really for myself but for my grandchildren , if I lose it all haho if it does what I think it might will help my family a lot. Remember the governments and thoses who run the world want us all in debt and to be poor. That way they can control us .

I wish I knew where to start with crypto currency but I haven’t a clue!
Please
or

LookslovelyinSpringtime · 10/12/2021 16:42

@BasiliskStare

Well , to lower the tone - I don't believe in conspiracy theories , but just thinking about it - perhaps an alien life force is holding our national broadcasting company to ransom & saying they will destroy our planet unless we get Greg Wallace or Tess Daly on the TV. - It's as good theory to me as to why these two are paid to be on TV shows.

Add Philip Schofield, Eamon Holmes and his awful wife and Holly Willoghby.
Please
or

Dogmummy999 · 10/12/2021 11:54

1. 11 was an inside job. 7/7 too. For iraqi oil. Jfk was assassinated by the CIA as he wanted to disband them. And I'm unsure about Diana's death but seems suspicious
Please
or

Callaird · 10/12/2021 11:07

@Peanutmnm

I know a couple that are true but can't tell you😁

@Peanutmnm

I have one too but had to sign a confidentiality clause in my contract. I could make a fortune if I went to the press but then they would sue and I would be stoney broke.
Please
or

PlumKetchup · 10/12/2021 10:11

I know we'd probably prefer not to be reminded of the Trumps, but remember fake Melania?!

Please
or

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 10/12/2021 09:43

What do you mean Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare?

That reminds me of the old schoolboy 'clanger' where some lad wrote "The works attributed to Homer weren't actually written by Homer but by another man of that name" Grin

I read that Christopher Marlowe was a likely contender for having written them - and much more feasible than WS, for many reasons. Having said that, as conspiracies go, I really don't see what real difference it makes to us now in the 21st Century.

Other than the (harmless) tourism in and around Stratford, showing off his and his family's homes, none of us now will ever know whoever it was who wrote them; but it's the legacy that's important - not whether it was Person A whom we will never know who wrote them or Person B whom we also will never know.

Please
or

JudyGemstone · 10/12/2021 09:03

Not a popular woman! I never knew tori Amos wrote ‘professional widow’ about her, fits though!
Please
or

JudyGemstone · 10/12/2021 08:57

“I don't believe the kurt cobain one but I've read about it. I think it was meant to be for revenge because he was going to leave her.”

I’m not saying I believe Courtney did it but it is hardly unheard of for people to murder their spouses. Happens all the time, either ‘crime of passion’ or for financial gain. Not exactly a stretch to believe in this case.

It does seem that Courtney Love is universally loathed by many people that have had dealings with her. If Kurt was done with her and she knew it, it might have made sense 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Swirlywoo · 10/12/2021 08:11

Not sure if it's classed as a conspiracy theory, but I do believe some/most of the rumours about Cliff Richard are true. (I don't just mean being gay)

On what basis? Not all allegations are true, and the whole thing was shambolically handled by the Police, and BBC. CR has always been the target of rumours because he chose to stay single, and apparently someone had told him allegations would be made unless he paid up.

Please
or

notimagain · 10/12/2021 07:40

@Karwomannghia

I find it hard to get my head round the moon landings, when I found out the international space station is 250miles away and takes 2-3 days to reach whereas the moon is about 240,000 miles away and also takes about 3 days! I know it literally is rocket science and beyond me but it makes my head hurt!!

Not easy to explain in this place but time to from launch to docking up with ISS can almost be pretty much what you want.. it’s not governed by Physics to being 2-3 days.

In theory it is possible to dock with something in orbit in under 90 minutes from launch - such was done during the Gemini programs in the 60’s but it’s not commonly done on the ISS. Those launch to docking times tend to be leisurely and that will be down to a whole host of variables such as the launcher used and payload mass, and the capability of the payload to change it’s orbit.

FWIW the Russians took over a week recently with some uncrewed hardware because they wanted several days to test it in flight en-route, I think the recent SpaceX flight took about 24 hours to link up (but would need to check).

The reason for 2-3 days to the Moon is a (relatively) more straightforward one to explain if you are prepared to dive into the Maths and Physics (escape velocity, inverse square law..)
Please
or

Karwomannghia · 10/12/2021 07:12

I find it hard to get my head round the moon landings, when I found out the international space station is 250miles away and takes 2-3 days to reach whereas the moon is about 240,000 miles away and also takes about 3 days! I know it literally is rocket science and beyond me but it makes my head hurt!!

Please
or

lololololollll · 10/12/2021 04:21

Just had to look up David Kelly as I was quite young and i had forgotten about it. His pic came up and it bought, what's Harold Shipman got to do with it

Please
or

Nanalisa60 · 10/12/2021 03:50

PerkyBlinder

Funny that how the banks won’t let us use our own money to buy what we want !! You could call it a Conspiracy!! They will say it’s to keep our money safer, but they have no problem giving us all credit cards and getting us all in debt to them for the last 30 years!! They hate crypto as they can’t control it. What User13490358923 said is so interesting I personally will continue to buy and hold for a least 5 to 10 years.

Please
or

BasiliskStare · 10/12/2021 03:32

Well , to lower the tone - I don't believe in conspiracy theories , but just thinking about it - perhaps an alien life force is holding our national broadcasting company to ransom & saying they will destroy our planet unless we get Greg Wallace or Tess Daly on the TV. - It's as good theory to me as to why these two are paid to be on TV shows.

Please
or

Igotstoknow · 10/12/2021 02:56

I thought they responded to someone in the end and said it was because those items were out of stock but because they would be in stock again soon, they overpriced them rather than take them off. I'm not 100% sure though. Maybe a rich conspiracy theorist could've ordered a 250k bedside cabinet and to let us all know what happened next 😆

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.