Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

anyone had an endoscopy/gastroscopy?

33 replies

puffin321 · 12/11/2020 18:08

my 17 yr old is having a gastroscopy (camera down throat) to check for coleiacs and other things next week. she's type 1 diabetic so they've said they'll see her first thing, booked in for 7.30am. She wants sedation as scared of gagging/being sick. How long will she likely be there, with sedation? A few hours? Longer? Will she get results the same day? The hospital were a bit vague except to say she can go first and defo have sedation. what's it like?

OP posts:
Please
or

Mommabear20 · 12/11/2020 20:21

Just had the throat spray, have a huge phobia of being sick, and it wasn't pleasant but definitely bearable. If had to have another one I'd do it the same way as was able to leave half an hour after I'd had it done, no recovery time needed.

Please
or

AnnieRich · 12/11/2020 20:20

I had sedation and was only kept in for about an hour afterwards. I was given photographs and had a discussion with the doctor after the procedure. Without sedation I found the whole experience very uncomfortable and embarrassing- much retching and gagging. At least with sedation you don’t have embarrassing memories!

Please
or

Grimbot · 12/11/2020 20:18

I had one last year. Definitely advise sedation as even with sedation it was very unpleasant. The actual procedure was about 10 minutes long but I was gagging a lot so felt like longer. I was taken to a recovery room after and the sedation wore off pretty quickly. In recovery the nurse told me it didn’t look like there was any problem but that they were sending off biopsies (which took about 2 weeks to come back.) I was in there for about 1 hour in total. I was a bit tired from the sedation and general stress of it all so make sure she takes it easy for the rest of the day and have her wearing something warm and comfy like joggers, hoodie etc. Hope it all goes ok. It’s unpleasant but thankfully over quickly.

Please
or

WeGoHigh · 12/11/2020 20:17

I had sedation and would definitely recommend that and not just the throat spray- I barely remember the procedure apart from a bit of gagging at the start! I have the most sensitive gag reflex ever and I managed fine with the sedation so tell her not to worry.
I was there for about 45 mins afterwards and then someone else drove me home. The nurse told me what they’d spotted there and then but had a proper consultation about a week later!

Please
or

Saladfingersscaresme · 12/11/2020 20:16

I had sedation but I can’t tell you what it was like because I can’t remember a thing about it which is what I wanted. All I remember after the procedure is dozing in and out of sleep and talking nonsense to the nurse. No after effects, I felt fine, no sore throat, nausea or pain, I was absolutely starving though.
I’d allow 5 hours for the procedure and recovery,

Please
or

Butwhhhyyyyyyy · 12/11/2020 20:16

I had this a few weeks ago, had the sedation and woke up in the recovery room, don't remember a thing. Throat was sore for a couple of days but nothing major.

They gave me the results on the day as you have to wait a couple of hours for the sedation to fully wear off. It all looks scary as it's an operating theatre your in but she wil be fine.

Please
or

Elsiebear90 · 12/11/2020 20:15

I didn’t have sedation because they messed up my cannula and couldn’t be arsed to try and cannulate me again, it was horrendous. I think I got my results the same day and then the biopsy within a few weeks, can’t remember fully as it was ten years ago.

Please
or

Frestba · 12/11/2020 20:11

I didn't have sedation and it was awful. So go for sedation for sure. I think they gave me photos of my innards showing inflammation. Then biopsy results came later on, a week maybe? You stay in longer for sedation but not overnight I dont think.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?