My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Best blackout curtains for bedroom?

18 replies

MontyBowJangles · 31/05/2020 14:50

Has anyone bought any recently and been impressed? I'm desperate to stop waking up at 5am. We already have wooden slatted blinds and thin curtains, looking for floor length blackout curtains?

Like the Eclipse Eyelet Thermal blackout ones on Wayfair (can't seem to get a link as takes me to the app every time!) but mixed reviews/photos showing lots of light leaking through.

Any help appreciated please! Smile

OP posts:
MontyBowJangles · 31/05/2020 18:29

Bump.

OP posts:
bestbefore · 31/05/2020 18:38

Dunelm have loads which I think if fitted correctly would be good

Mimimayhem18 · 31/05/2020 18:44

I second the dunelm blackout curtains, I think mine were from the nova range. They weren't expensive, they look nice and they keep the light out really well when I'm sleeping through the day/working nights x

Dafspunk · 31/05/2020 18:45

I got some great ones from Next - really pleased with them.

Biancadelrioisback · 31/05/2020 18:47

Ive got some Dunelm ones but I don't think they're that great.
I've got a gro black out curtain which sticks on the window which I think was the best buy we have. It's now in my room

Janek · 31/05/2020 19:03

We have Dunelm blackout curtains. Lots of light gets in round the edges, but I don't think that's the curtains' fault, the actual curtains don't seem to let anything through at all. In fact in the winter you can't tell if anyone is in at our house if the curtains are drawn because they let no light out.

Gin4thewin · 31/05/2020 19:20

I paired dunelm black out curtains with black out roller blinds (work shifts, need to sleep in the day) and my room is pitch black even in the middle of the day

Deadringer · 31/05/2020 20:03

I bought a pair in argos and they are great, the room is pitch black.

MissSmiley · 31/05/2020 20:16

You can get black out linings for existing curtains from John Lewis they hook onto your curtains and they also do lots of ready made ones with black out linings

OhCantThinkOfANewName · 31/05/2020 20:22

I’ve just brought some from amazon today, cheap, not great if you want total blackout. Some light is coming from edging but quite a bit of light coming through the curtain.

Better than previous curtains but not great.

Cocolapew · 31/05/2020 20:30

I got some from Amazon, it's like sleeping in a black hole now.

Constantlurker · 31/05/2020 20:43

If you have pvc windows I massively recommend perfectFIT blinds. They go inside your window so zero light escapes. We've got them in the kids bedrooms as it was broad daylight in there even with blackout roller blinds and curtains and naptime/summer bedtimes were horrendous. Now with these and curtains drawn it's pitch black at any time of the day so perfect for us. Don't get sucked into getting someone to fit them for you, it literally took us 10 mins to fit them ourselves. There are loads of YouTube videos showing you how to measure and fit them and it's ridiculously easy. We got ours from blinds 2 go.

MontyBowJangles · 31/05/2020 23:25

Thanks everyone! Mixed reviews for the Dunelm ones then, and they're saying delivery up to 22nd June on the website (tho the duvet cover I'm looking at is available for free click and collect in 24hrs or so).

@Cocolapew do you have a link please?

@Constantlurker thanks, will investigate. We already have nice wooden slatted blinds but will look into replacing them if needs be.

We were meant to be getting our en-suite refitted and bedroom redecorated but then Covid put a stop to it. But figured I could crack on with the curtains and maybe bedding (is it wrong that I'm loving this look?! www.dunelm.com/product/floresta-duvet-cover-and-pillowcase-set-1000109592?colour=Multi+Coloured&defaultSkuId=30437757&duvetCoversSize=Kingsize)

OP posts:
Cocolapew · 31/05/2020 23:30

I think it was Utopia Bedding Monty.

MontyBowJangles · 01/06/2020 10:39

Thanks @Cocolapew - have just ordered some on Prime for my 9yo's room as only £18.99 (they were £17.99 an hour ago so thought I'd best get on with it as clearly the prices must go up dependant on how many people are looking at them?!).

Will see if they're any good before maybe getting the same for our bedroom Smile

OP posts:
TimeWastingButFun · 01/06/2020 10:46

We got ours from Dunelm. Our bedroom and one of our son's bedrooms are south facing and they are really effective.

Cocolapew · 01/06/2020 13:11

I hope you like them! Smile

MontyBowJangles · 07/06/2020 14:17

Thanks so much for all your help! Amazon ones are great for son's bedroom, and we now have floor - length Dunelm navy Luna blackout curtains (£65) in our bedroom which are fab! Picked them up yesterday Smile

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.