Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Has anyone been to Cape Verde?

JorisBonson · 26/02/2020 16:48

We're eyeing up a lovely resort with good reviews there for our honeymoon but I know nothing about the place and none of my friends have been.

If anyone has been your experiences would be appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 26/02/2020 16:53

Yes we went last September and really enjoyed it
Pick your hotel carefully though, most are huge and their 4 star isn’t what I would call 4 star . We were 5 star, which was fine. Stayed at ten Meliá Tortuga on Sal.
There’s not much to do really, we did a day trip but mostly chilled by the pool and went snorkelling but for a relaxing week in the sun it’s nice
Do remember that it’s basically a rock with nothing on so everything has to be brought in so it’s expensive l also, you are in Africa in a 3rd world country so it’s not like Europe or The US (sorry if that’s obvious). It’s not somewhere I would like to get ill for example
We felt safe though

Please
or

Mooycow · 26/02/2020 16:53

We have been 3 times now , both islands Boa and Sal , lovely hotels , lovely people, not a great deal to do on either island , but all year round sun , can get a bit windy and seas are choppy .
Great for a relaxing holiday in the sun . Def recommend xx

Please
or

Elouera · 26/02/2020 16:58

I looked at it in depth, but decided against going. Best friend went though and wouldnt return. I agree with comments above. Most things are imported, the tourist industry is fairly new so dont expect the same service you might get at more established places, and it can be expensive. If you just want all inclusive and to laze around a pool it might suit. We like to explore, go out of the hotel, eat at different restaurants etc and this seemed very primitive on those fronts.

It may not be applicable, but we are TTC and zika is still a real risk there. There have also been malaria cases I believe, so just things to consider if you are planning a family within 6mths.

Please
or

ActualHornist · 26/02/2020 18:02

I know two couples that went there for honeymoon. Both loved it, but it really depends on what you’re after. Lazing on the beach or by the pool, reading and shagging - then you’ll probably be ok Smile

Please
or

HotSauceCommittee · 26/02/2020 18:05

I loved it. Boat trips, a little island tour, swimming, long walks on the beach and not too crowded with people like the Med is. The sea is very clean too. I’d go again.

Please
or

Waxonwaxoff0 · 26/02/2020 18:06

I have, agree with PP comments. I wouldn't return, purely because I hate just lying around on the beach - I like to be able to leave the resort and explore but you really can't do that there, it was like being on the moon, just bare rock around the resort! Also it was very windy and the sea wasn't great to go in.

Beaches are pristine though, and the people were lovely.

Please
or

Waxonwaxoff0 · 26/02/2020 18:06

*Sea wasn't safe to go in that should have read! At least while we were there.

Please
or

JorisBonson · 26/02/2020 18:07

@ActualHornist

Throw all inclusive cocktails into that mix too! 😂

It's good to hear all this, I'm fairly well travelled but this is one place I know literally nothing about.

I'm happy sitting by the pool reading / eating / sleeping and DP is a fish so happy whenever he's near water. May be ticking all the boxes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

opticaldelusion · 26/02/2020 19:27

My parents went. Said it was dull as chuff.

Please
or

maybelou · 26/02/2020 20:56

We went to Boa Vista island last year and stayed at a place that I think was called Rui Touareg. We had a good time but like PP have said, there wasn't a lot to do, we mostly stayed in the hotel by the pool. The food was nice but there weren't loads of options (we're veggies!), breakfast was fantastic though! Two pools and all inclusive cocktails with pool bar which was great, however we weren't able to go in the sea as it's so rough where the hotel is on that island.

We did a few activists (went with TUI who had reps there to arrange things) but it was quite pricey. We went whale watching which I personally wouldn't recommend as we saw nothing and all got quite sick on the catamaran but we also had a tour of the city Sal Rei which was really interesting and part of that tour was an afternoon at a beach reggae bar, that was one of the highlights of the holiday for me Grin One night we went into the desert for stargazing as well which I adored (as an amateur star gazer!).

All in all it was a nice holiday, very relaxing, I read a lot of books but I personally wouldn't return for a while as I want more things to do on a holiday - the hotel was miles from anything so you couldn't go off for a wander as it was just desert for ages around. If you're looking a lazy week in decent but not scorching sun though, definitely recommend!

Please
or

maybelou · 26/02/2020 21:01

*did a few ACTIVITIES omg

Please
or

Kenworthington · 26/02/2020 21:06

Went twice by accident to the same place. It wasn’t worth the quite long flight. And it rained. Heavily . Both times . Only a day each time but still. Absolutely nothing else there bar the hotels. Sea too dangerous to swim in, very windy, it was hot but not as hot as I hoped for. Overall thought from all of us is that we wouldn’t ever want to go back. It was... adequate I guess.

Please
or

Duvetdweller · 26/02/2020 21:10

I thought it was awful. Pools freezing, food dreadful, staff were the most miserable I’ve ever encountered (and I’m nice and I tip etc), nothing to do outside of the hotel. I wouldn’t ever return.

Please
or

dayswithaY · 26/02/2020 22:01

My parents went and said it was boring and deserted. And dusty.

Please
or

AudTheDeepMinded · 26/02/2020 22:07

Yes, accidentally. Flight I was on diverted there due to technical problems. This was around 30 years ago and there was bog all there then. I've heard good things in modern times though if you like a pool and sunshine holiday and not much else.

Please
or

IloveJudgeJudy · 26/02/2020 22:33

We stayed in Riu Touareg hotel on Boa Vista. It was lovely for that time in our lives but we wouldn't return as there's absolutely nothing to do. Not many exciting trips apart from having a meal on a beach but we'd already paid for fully inclusive. Loved the hotel but there's nothing to see outside the hotel. It's in the middle of a desert.

If you want a very relaxing holiday then you'll enjoy it but you can't go for a stroll to a café.

Take snacks with you as they're extremely expensive to buy in the hotel. DH scoffed because I took some with me but he was able to eat them!

Please
or

AnyFucker · 26/02/2020 22:36

Some friends went and it was cloudy and cold for 13 out of 14 days. They were bored stiff.

Please
or

MrsBungle · 26/02/2020 22:39

We went to Boa Vista last August and loved it. We stayed at the Riu Palace which is really nice. We were only there a week but weren’t bored at all! We went sand board riding in the desert, walked round Sal Rei and our children ended up spending 2 hours jumping in the harbour with local children. We also did a night trip to see wild logger head turtles coming out of the sea, laying and burying their eggs then going back to the sea - amazing!

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 27/02/2020 09:25

ilovejudgejudy my normally chilled DH was outraged at the crisps on sale for 3E in the hotel and insisted we got a the nearest supermarket to stock up on snacks. Once the taxi fair was included I’m not sure we saved any money but according to him “it was the principle”
People who had been a few times did take loads of snacks with them and if we go again we will too

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?