Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please recommend me a hotel in New York

WhoTheFuckIsThis · 11/06/2019 20:30

Looking to go late November - budget is between £200 - £400 per night (cheaper hotel = premium seats on plane, more expensive hotel = economy!)

We have never been before, so looking for somewhere with good local bars and restaurants and transport links - I'll do a separate post nearer the time asking for recommendations on what we must see/do

It's all very overwhelming - so much choice!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DinkyBabe · 11/06/2019 20:47

Hi. The Residence Inn on Broadway is a really good option. It is reasonably priced but has amazing views and is really close to Hells Kitchen which has loads of good options for food. It also includes breakfast so you can fill up before heading out for the day.

Please
or

MummaGiles · 11/06/2019 20:49

We stayed at The Standard Highline which was brilliant. Great location in the meatpacking district, over the highline park, and a couple of blocks from a subway station but we walked a lot.

Please
or

WeeM · 11/06/2019 20:49

i would say somewhere away from Times Square, too busy, noisy, full of tourist trap places. Somewhere near Greenwich Village/Soho/TriBeCa area would be my go to places.

Please
or

EnidButton · 11/06/2019 20:52

So sorry I can't remember the price but The Sofitel in Manhattan is excellent. Huge very comfy beds, very very clean, no street noise at all and blackout curtains. I haven't slept so well in years. We never ate in but the restaurant looked very nice. I'm painfully a pain in the bum picky when it comes to hotels and I couldn't fault it.

It's down a side street so quiet but literally round the corner from Fifth Avenue and Broadway etc. We could see the Chrysler from our window. Not too near Times Square. I wouldn't want to be near there.

The London Sofitel I stayed in was rubbish unfortunately but the NYC one is excellent.

Please
or

m0therofdragons · 11/06/2019 20:55

We liked the Roger Smith hotel on Lexington - walking distance to grand central station, Times Square, Central Park.

Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 11/06/2019 20:59

We stayed at the Hotel Giraffe. Centrally located with lovely free snacks!!

Please
or

Callmesausage · 11/06/2019 21:01

Another one recommending Hotel Giraffe

Please
or

SpeckofStardust · 11/06/2019 21:03

The Hyatt on the Hudson, Jersey City. It's across the river from Manhattan, beautiful hotel with a fantastic view of the NYC skyline, nice bar and restaurant in the hotel and others all around it. They have an entrance to the PATH station steps away where you can trains that will whisk you to WTC in minutes and from there you can get the subway all over the city. Or, just a few minutes walk away, you can get the ferry across, again mere minutes into downtown. I've stayed there a few times and, booking direct with Hyatt, never paid more than $350 per night.

Please
or

dancinginthekitchen · 11/06/2019 21:05

We stayed in the Carnegie Hotel next to Carnegie Hall and close to Central Park. Great location, easy walking to places like the Guggenheim, The Met, 5th Avenue, Times Square, the Rockefeller Centre. Small hotel, can’t remember cost - continental breakfast available in the mornings and at 5pm the manager served complimentary cheese and wine!

Please
or

Allovertheworld64 · 11/06/2019 21:17

I’ve just had five days in New York and stayed at The Sofitel, New York (think there might be more than one,not sure) just off fifth avenue and agree what a pp said about it. Location is excellent, decent area, excellent sound proofing and amazing comfy beds/pillows. Plenty of bars and restaurants around. Good size room for New York and bathroom with bath and separate shower.

Please
or

doodleygirl · 11/06/2019 21:19

We went last October, stayed at a fab hotel in TriBeCa district, hotel is called Made

Please
or

chocolateshortcake · 11/06/2019 22:17

We stayed in Park Lane Hotel overlooking Central Park. It wasn't too expensive and location was amazing.

Please
or

User1053051066 · 11/06/2019 22:24

We stayed in the One World Hotel overlooking Ground Zero and across to the One World Trade Center and over to the Hudson River- it was a brilliant location for us in the financial district. Amazing views from the balcony, a roof top terrace, within your price range on Booking.com and a 5 minute walk down to Battery Park and views across to Statue of Liberty etc. We liked being out of the hub centre, there were fab cafes within a 3 minute wlk on the way to the subway station for breakfast every morning.

OMG I just love it there.....

Please
or

noodlezoodle · 11/06/2019 22:45

OP, also take a look at Hotwire.com. You can set your dates and the area you want to stay in and get some really good deals. You won't know the name of the actual hotel until you've booked, but if you choose the area and how many stars you want your hotel to have, you can often get an amazing hotel for a much cheaper price than you'd pay elsewhere.

It's not for everyone as it it is a bit of a gamble but I ended up staying at the Soho Grand in Tribeca earlier this year for an incredible rate - take a look and see if it appeals.

Please
or

Guylian2019 · 12/06/2019 06:27

The Jolly Maddison Towers were very basic but lovely staff, clean and excellent location (a couple of minutes to Grand Central and a few minutes to Time Square).

Please
or

tentative3 · 12/06/2019 06:35

The Beacon Hotel on the UWS, location is brilliant and rooms are spacious with a kitchenette. We loved it and would definitely go back.

Please
or

Ponieswithponytails · 12/06/2019 06:38

Crowne plaza Times Square.

Please
or

DJ1701 · 12/06/2019 06:39

I have been a few times and always stayed near Times Square as we love the buzz and being close to the theatres. I suggest joining the New York City forum on trip advisor and if you post your budget, likes etc they will give you great advice. The experts live in New York so really are helpful.

Please
or

WayUpHigh · 12/06/2019 08:52

Another vote for the Carnegie Hotel. It really is a lovely hotel in a great location. We managed to get a good price through Expedia.

Please
or

Usernamealreadyexists · 12/06/2019 08:57

Google online for a list of hotels that do not charge a resort fee. It is a waste of money.

Please
or

PonderingPanda · 12/06/2019 09:01

Just back from staying in the Royalton on w44th street.

Careful, as a lot of hotels charge a resort fee which is extra to your nightly stay

Please
or

snowballer · 13/06/2019 14:29

Crosby Street Hotel in soho - totally wonderful https://www.firmdalehotels.com/hotels/new-york/crosby-street-hotel

Please
or

cestlavielife · 13/06/2019 14:34

You can get good deals with flight and hotel e.g. ba.com.
Stayed Hilton midtown was fine easy to get to many places and a corner shop nearby to get breakfast items e.g. single pot cereal etc

Please
or

WhenZogateSuperworm · 13/06/2019 14:37

We stayed in the Library hotel which is the same owners as Hotel Girraffe. Was lovely.

Please
or

OhCheesus · 13/06/2019 14:38

Hotel 50 Bowery.

Have also stated at The Allen - cheaper but absolutely fine.

I'd stay lower East/Chinatown every time.

Don't waste money on hotel or fancy flights - spend in on fun stuff and food!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?