My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

If you’re nesh af sign in here with your tips for staying warm please

136 replies

MadameButterface · 21/11/2018 21:38

Hi thar i hate winter. This week has marked the official start of my annual six solid months of moaning about how cold i am. I have an underactive thyroid which i am on medication for, but i still seem to feel the cold horribly.

I want your sympathy, comradeship and tips please. My top tips are:
lidl has thermal socks/tops/leggings in the middle aisle, get em while you can;
Those handwarmer sachets from decathlon are good;
Ditto silk glove liners, also decathlon;
Mittens over the above will keep hands warmer than two pairs of gloves;
Fleecy insoles in everything (but i want your top tips for the best superwarm ones please if anyone knows of such, my two for a quid off amazon ones haven’t really been cutting it today)

Seriously, i am so miserable and so totally bored already with ‘fucking hell my feet are cold’ forming 80% of my inner monologue as i go about my day (for reference i was wearinng fleecy lined tights, socks over these and doc martens with aforementioned shit fleecy insoles and the thermostat at work claimed it was 19 degrees, i can’t take six more months of this shit)

OP posts:
sparkling123 · 21/11/2018 21:50

Sometimes the only thing that will get my feet warm again is a foot bath in a washing up bowl, or just a warm bath. Some days no amount of layers on my feet will do it!

brownjumper · 21/11/2018 21:51

Electric blanket! Mines on warming up for an hour before I go to bed, I love it!

MadameButterface · 21/11/2018 21:56

I have been resisting getting an electric blanket because i have this residual fear feom 80s public information type adverts that i am going to burn my house down with it but i might have to invest.

Sparkling i know the only solution to warm my feet up is get in the shower properly. But that entails taking my clothes off. So i’m under my duvet in limbo with still cold feet. How silly am i?

OP posts:
Cleanerswinagain · 21/11/2018 21:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EduCated · 21/11/2018 22:01

Fresh socks when you get indoors - even in the cold your feet sweat and the slight dampness of your socks makes the cold feel worse.

wellhonestly · 21/11/2018 22:01

Definitely layers, yy with thermals.
Hat outdoors. Windproof coat.
Sheepskin insoles, they are bliss.
Thermal-lined knee boots.
Scarf indoors (doesn't have to be a wooly one, just something around the neck really helps!)
Great big fleece dressing gown at home over PJs, these boots for indoors pricey but they are on their 7th year, have had them renovated once. Soooo warm.

myidentitymycrisis · 21/11/2018 22:02

I bought pure wool insoles in Germany one winter they were the best I’ve had. Sure to get them on line. I have Raynaud’s mildly.
Also love my hot water bottles

NotMeNoNo · 21/11/2018 22:03

Anything made of actual wool. Merino thermals, handknit socks, thick jumpers, blankets.

Also those microwave wheat bags, I need one on my feet 3 seasons of the year.

Snowwontbelong · 21/11/2018 22:06

Thermal flannelette top and bottom sheet. Oh my days.
Bliss!!
We live in an OLD house that last year we had SNOW in our bedroom window (jams open about September!)
Toasty warm in bed!

LittleCandle · 21/11/2018 22:09

I feel you. At the moment, I am cursed because of the bloody hot flushes of menopause, so I go from being cold to being so hot I feel like I could explode. Then I cool down and the sweat under my hairline and running (yes literally) down my back cools down and I'm more than just cold.

Thermal tops that reflect your body heat back do nothing, as I don't appear to generate enough heat to work. Thermal socks or wool don't seem to work for me. I can wear half a dozen layers, but I am still cold. My fucking uselessendo even told me this is 'normal'.

CMOTDibbler · 21/11/2018 22:10

Wristwarmers are lifechanging. I wear them all the time and they make such a difference to how warm your hands are.

Mohair socks

Down slippers

A long skirt with a slip and then warm tights. It keeps your legs much, much warmer

I have a Hot Rox for a switch on and off heat source in my pockets, but if I want longer heat, then I'm still working my way through the box of handwarmer sachets I got on Amazon - 40 pairs for £20

Never getting cold. I put my fleecy onesie on and heat holders socks straight out of bed, then said down slippers. Shower is into a towelling robe then dressing gown. Get dressed with layers, feet always in slippers until shoes. Big down coat outside and layers of wristwarmers and gloves or mittens (loving my new heat holders convertible mittens this year, big guns are down mittens)

Ollivander84 · 21/11/2018 22:11

I post this on every cold thread but @MadameButterface I have the coldest feet Grin

First one is from my Nan. Stick feet in washing up bowl filled with warm water and mustard powder while drinking brew. I managed 10 mins before I had to open the windows and strip off Grin bloody boiling

Second is a recommendation for some socks I got off amazon, my feet actually sweat in them https://www.amazon.co.uk/Co-Zees-Womens-Thermal-Pattern-Slipper/dp/B01MFF7VBY/ref=mpsa118?ie=UTF8&qid=1542838171&sr=8-18&pi=ACSX236SY340_QL65&keywords=co-zees&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig · 21/11/2018 22:11

These footwarmers are supposed to be brilliant. My sister swears by them when she’s out in the cold on her horse.

Thatssosweet · 21/11/2018 22:12

I’m the living personification of nesh. I warm my socks up first before I put them on as I find that as long as my socks and my bumcheeks are ok then I can cope.

And I wear a hat around the house.

Thatssosweet · 21/11/2018 22:13

Also pleased that there isn’t just me and my Nan that say nesh. Star

JennyHolzersGhost · 21/11/2018 22:16

Haven’t heard the word nesh for ages. Star OP. Great word.

(Big woollen socks are my tip. Make a huge difference to overall body temperature.)

Willofthesimpletons · 21/11/2018 22:17

An electric heated throw for the sofa has changed my life. I am always so cold in Winter and it has improved my quality of life so much.

I also have one on the bed and it's so nice to have gentle heat on the top of me. Ahhhh. sighs happily .

It's also probably a lot cheaper as I don't need to have the heating on so much. I'm just so toasty.

LizzieSiddal · 21/11/2018 22:23

I work from home and sit at a desk most of the day, I’m always bloody cold, despite the heating being on! I’ve just bitten the bullet and bought some ugg mini boots, which I’m using as slippers. They were £100 on Amazon, yes expensive but I’ve had them two days and I’ve not had cold feet.

The other thing I’ve noticed which makes a difference, is to have lots of hot drinks and soups. Really warms your whole body up.

LionsTeeth · 21/11/2018 22:29

I've taken to wearing a vest under my pyjamas which has been surprisingly effective. Even if it makes me feel about 80

I get terribly cold hands but I hate bulky gloves. Does anyone have any recommendations for some warm but not huge ones?

Fashionista101 · 21/11/2018 22:29

Electric blanket, candles (jo malone ones because it's not our fault we're nesh) and cashmere tracksuits and socks.

My DF goes mad the house will burn down. I think well at least I'll finally be warm!

fruitpastille · 21/11/2018 22:31

I LOVE my electric blanket (Dreamland). On the high setting I only have to put it in for ten mins then I turn it off to get into bed. It has lower settings you want it on whilst in bed. Dual control so my DH doesn't get hot.

Zippo handwarmer stays hot all day.

At home I always wear sheepskin boots as slippers - similar to uggs but £35 from TKMaxx.

MadameButterface · 21/11/2018 22:59

God i’m glad it’s not just me. Lots of good tips to try here - think i’ll definitely look into heated blanket and proper wool insoles.

OP posts:
MadameButterface · 21/11/2018 23:02

“'ve taken to wearing a vest under my pyjamas which has been surprisingly effective. Even if it makes me feel about 80

I get terribly cold hands but I hate bulky gloves. Does anyone have any recommendations for some warm but not huge ones?”

Vests are my life, i wear them 9 months of the year and I don’t care.

I am interested in the gloves thing too. Mittens are great until you need to use your hands. Then it’s a big old faff and your hands are cold again because you’ve had to take them off.

OP posts:
colouringinpro · 21/11/2018 23:04

Woolly hat indoors, layers with wool in. Hot drinks and hot water bottles...

Branleuse · 21/11/2018 23:05

Its such a miserable time of year isnt it. When its really fucking cold and you just know this is only the start. Its gonna be months

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.