Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Dull thread alert - clothes pegs

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 17:22

Mine aren’t even that old but clearly they have had enough following the heatwave as they just keep snapping and breaking apart as I go to use them. Some I’ve put on the line only for them to snap and ping off a few mins later. They are John Lewis ones, nothing too cheap but not fancy either.

Any recommendations? I thought the Lakeland ones but reviews say that they don’t hold thinner items well.

TIA. And sorry for the dull thread.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BackforGood · 17/08/2018 17:24

I've only ever picked up pegs from poundshops or similarly cheap places (Wilkinsons probably - they replaced Woolworths as my shop to go to for things you rarely have to buy and are not sure where to get them from Grin).
Don't think it is worth paying out lots of pegs - mine last donkeys years.

Please
or

Chocolala · 17/08/2018 17:40

We get multipacks of wooden ones from Wilkos

Please
or

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 17:43

Mine never seem to last! I don’t leave them on the line, they always get put away and taken inside so I have no idea why they get so brittle.

I did consider wooden ones but I find they leave little snags on more delicate items. Not often though so maybe I’ll go that way. At least I won’t be sending more plastic to the tip when they eventually break.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 17/08/2018 17:46

I use these pegs but buy them from Morrison's for £1.50

Please
or

JenFromTheGlen · 17/08/2018 17:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 17/08/2018 17:48

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 17/08/2018 17:48

Snap, DementedPixie!

Please
or

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas · 17/08/2018 17:48

I can't stand the big plastic ones, we bought them on a whim and I can only get 3 in my hand at once. Especially annoying when it starts raining as I used to be able to whip the whole line off in seconds, now I have to faff about at 2 items a time.

I would much rather we stuck to the wooden ones.

Please
or

PanPanPanPing · 17/08/2018 17:55

According to some MN-clothes-peg-experts, if you're buying plastic ones then check the colours. Apparently some coloured plastic clothes pegs degrade more quickly than others - because of their specific colour!

Please
or

Longhairmightcare · 17/08/2018 17:57

These minky ones last, I had them simultaneously with some other generic plastic (but with rubber grips) ones, and all the minkys are going strong, there's only about 2 of the others survived.

They also grip well, no more garment edges sliding together on the line.

Minky Sure Grip Pegs - Pack of 24 www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F4UE1NI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x3VDBb1QJXFEF?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Please
or

Hushnownobodycares · 17/08/2018 18:03

I only ever buy cheapo versions and have a mixture from various sources. I just top them up as they break.

I'd be raging if I bought John Lewis ones and they gave up after a year or so, raging I tell you Grin

Please
or

RayneDance · 17/08/2018 18:03

Nope my cheap wilko ones just snapped.

I'm on asda cheap now they seem alot stronger from the the off will let you know how they get on next year Grin

Please
or

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 18:55

Hush I am! Raging! Wink

I didn’t know that about some colours degrading more than others!

Two recommendations for the Ecoforce, some for wood, some for Minky and lots for cheap. Hmmm... I should do some kind of official test. Only I can’t be arsed. I may buy a pack of each and see which ones I like best though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 17/08/2018 19:22

Ecoforce are quite cheap so win win!

Please
or

PanPanPanPing · 17/08/2018 19:23

"I didn’t know that about some colours degrading more than others!"

Me neither! I was quite surprised. But I can't remember which colour degrades the most quickly!

Please
or

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 19:23

I’ll add that category to my official testing sheet Pan Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

cantkeepawayforever · 17/08/2018 19:27

Wooden. Cheap, never had a problem with snagging, last forever, and pretty good for securing flapping baking parchment on cake tins while baking if required.

I think I bought some from Tesco last year. Or maybe the year before. They never break, and dion't degrade, but I tend to lose a few each year, so top up with a pack every 3-4 years.

Please
or

Angie169 · 17/08/2018 19:46

I bought some wooded ones from wilkos last weekend , going to test them tomorrow !

Please
or

dangermouseisace · 17/08/2018 19:46

I second the wooden wilko ones. If they come apart, you just stick them back together easy peasy. I’m never buying plastic ones again!

Please
or

dangermouseisace · 17/08/2018 19:47

Ps I’ve bought ecoforce ones and yes, they snap too.

Please
or

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 19:51

Hmmm... I do have some wooden ones and I would like to not add to the plastic going to landfill as they inevitably snap.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Angie169 · 17/08/2018 19:51

Ready for trial tomorrow , I can't remember but I think they were only about 1 or 2 pouns

Please
or

LooksLikeImStuckHere · 17/08/2018 19:53

Yeah, wooden ones are pretty cheap usually. I was always put off them because my Mum’s ones went really manky and rusty. But then she leaves all of hers on the line so it’s little wonder really.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 17/08/2018 20:13

I've not had any ecoforce ones snap. I bought several bags too

Please
or

MeetOnTheLedge · 17/08/2018 20:17

Wood for me, no snagging. I did try Ecoforce but they all snapped after a couple of years even though I never leave them on the line and keep them indoors.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.