Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are Fortnum and Mason hampers worth it?

KateLumley · 07/12/2021 13:34

Just that, thinking about ordering one for friends.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tara66 · 07/12/2021 15:27

F & M have wonderful marmalades!

Please
or

WorriedMillie · 07/12/2021 15:28

I had one a few years back, or was lovely to receive and the basket has been used since for storage/display purposes

Please
or

starsparkle08 · 07/12/2021 15:40

Yes I’ve ordered previously the basket and then made up my own .far better and it means you don’t have to spend as much . I primarily got one for the large basket to put my sons toys in . It’s brilliant

Please
or

Mouseketeer2015 · 07/12/2021 15:45

Try www.virginiahayward.com/hampers/traditional-hampers
They have a huge selection online, not just traditional and probably put together the hamper for F&M.

Please
or

BusterGonad · 07/12/2021 15:57

The F&M one is best for a present imo. I'd love one.

Please
or

REP22 · 07/12/2021 16:39

I got one for my mum last year. I didn't order an actual hamper though. I ordered a number of items (teas, coffees and biscuits, mostly) that I knew she'd like. There is an option at the 'post and packaging' stage to have it packed and delivered in one of their wicker hampers.

So you could compile your own hamper if you can't decide on a pre-set one and just fill it with things you know she'd enjoy.

Either way, it would still be just as lovely, but my mum can get fairly unbearable about receiving random jars of pickled whatnots amongst a selection and I didn't fancy months of an unwanted jar from a pre-packaged hamper glaring evilly down at me from her shelf.

I think the guide at the packing stage tells you roughly how many items fit in each size hamper, and it all came very nicely put together.

Best wishes to you.

Please
or

windmill26 · 07/12/2021 16:50

I like the hamper but I think the contents are not for everyone taste.The last one we received was full of products that we didn't like.I ended up giving away pretty much all the contents...and we not fussy eaters!

Please
or

MapleMay11 · 07/12/2021 16:51

Definitely worth it to guarantee delighted recipients. I would not be pleased to receive some tat from M&S.

Please
or

REP22 · 07/12/2021 16:52

Sincere apologies - just checked and the option to have an itemised selection boxed in a hamper "will resume in the new year" I'm sure the goods will taste just as great from a box, but probably not have the same impact.

I think all their pre-selected hampers are all still available though.

Sorry about that! Blush x

Please
or

Gladioli23 · 07/12/2021 17:54

So the Fortmason tea is quite a specific blend: it's flavoured with orange blossom. If they aren't massive loose leaf fans I would start with the royal blend which is in the grovesner hamper: this is a really lovely classic tea that's just like a super nice version of what we call "tea tea" in our house. It's got quite a lot of Assam in it so it goes really well with biscuits but also works well at breakfast and is designed for drinking with milk.

I have 8 or 9 teas on the go at once and the royal blend is my favourite.

Please
or

Okigen · 07/12/2021 18:04

I buy a lot of F&M stuffs for friends and family. They fare quite well although sometimes I feel they are a bit generic 🙈

Please
or

AutumnAlmanack · 07/12/2021 18:39

I wasn't that pleased with the one DH got a couple of years ago. We hardly ate or drank any of the contents and gave most of it away. The wicker hamper, however, has pride of place in my hall!

Please
or

catnidge · 07/12/2021 18:45

We have been sent a few f&m hampers over the years. They are always amazing, we use the hampers as toy boxes and shoe storage

Please
or

Floralnomad · 07/12/2021 18:50

For anyone not wanting to pay F &M prices Aldi do lovely hampers in wicker baskets . We are not Aldi shoppers but my sister ordered one last year for our other sister who couldn’t come to Christmas (covid related) and it was very well received and looked lovely . This year she has ordered an afternoon treats one for my MIL and it looks lovely and has a nice selection of stuff .

Please
or

MythicalBiologicalFennel · 07/12/2021 18:57

I have both been given and given a couple of F&M hamper.

They are terrible value for money in terms of what you pay for say a packet of biscuits versus biscuits of equivalent quality bought elsewhere.

You are paying for the brand, the brand's luxury and quality reputation and the happy fuss and excitement of the delivery (massive hamper etc).

For example I know my MIL values the whole "I got a F&M hamper" thing more than the actual contents so hampers make a good present for her. With my DH I know he'd much rather have individually chosen foods that he enjoys and is not fussed about brands, wrapping or reputation.

Please
or

Redcherries · 07/12/2021 19:00

Gutted, the Aldi ones I would have gone for are sold out, I wanted to put one under the tree for a family gift. The only ones left in stock are afternoon tea and a wine one.

Please
or

IAmHereForTheFood · 07/12/2021 19:05

@KateLumley

I am now choosing between this or this

The Grosvenor has 9 items & more sweet stuff, the Fortmason has 10 & a mix of sweet & savoury so I’d go for that one. The Fortmason.
Please
or

Nanasueathome · 07/12/2021 19:22

F&M are really lovelY
My second favourite is Daylesford

Please
or

LadyRoughDiamond · 07/12/2021 19:24

Yes, the wicker basket alone is fab.

Please
or

cherish123 · 07/12/2021 19:24

Yes. They are lovely. The hamper itself is a lovely thing to use afterwards. You can make up your own hamper but it's cheaper to buy one already made up.

Please
or

Holothane · 07/12/2021 19:27

I’d have the f and m one but then I don’t drink. I brought marzipan fruits last years and chocolates for the in-laws from f and m they loved them.

Please
or

BonnesVacances · 07/12/2021 19:29

I've had a Selfridges one given to me. I don't know how the prices compare with F&M but maybe worth a look.

Please
or

HewasH2O · 07/12/2021 19:33

Victoria Hayward is very good and there are options swapping wicker etc for a decent box.

www.virginiahayward.com/?ppc_keyword=victoria%20hayward%20hampers&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZSy_7bS9AIVlK3tCh0odww9EAAYASAAEgJn1vD_BwE

Please
or

Snugglepumpkin · 07/12/2021 19:38

The caramels in the Grosvenor have some really nice flavours in them plus they are really prettily decorated.
We got some last year & the box is also really lovely.

Please
or

Bushkin · 07/12/2021 19:41

Either of the £130 ones (secretly hoping you’re my friend)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.