Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Kids asking for things they can’t have

Dirtystreetpie · 06/12/2021 00:10

What do you tell your kids or do when their main gift they ask for from FC, that they have been encouraged to write to him and ask for, you just cannot afford?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dirtystreetpie · 07/12/2021 00:10

And it’s a lego set, he’s seen. So to him it looks fairly low cost but it’s well over our budget. I have told him letters are only to give FC ideas, not wish lists. Can’t find it second hand but will get him lots of other little bits and bobs and hopefully that will help with the disappointment and it will soon be forgotten

OP's posts:
Please
or

FusionChefGeoff · 07/12/2021 00:31

Could you play the long game - save an eBay search for it then hopefully 1 will come up in the year for Xmas 2022???

Please
or

Jumpingintochristmas · 07/12/2021 00:41

Perhaps tell us what set it is… lots of people to help search!

Please
or

AnotherOneWithNoGoodName · 07/12/2021 00:58

Santa always did stockings in our house. The main items came from parents/family, and we were told if they couldn't afford something.

If you've had a material change in circumstances and Santa has always brought big ticket items before, then that is different and harder to handle!

Please
or

Redsquirrel5 · 07/12/2021 02:16

I used to say not to ask for very expensive presents or write lots of things on the lists because then some other child wouldn’t get anything if they were greedy. Seemed to work.

Please
or

mam0918 · 07/12/2021 10:53

@logsonlogsoff

My. DM had this down to a fine art - a combination of steering us towards choosing pressies from the catalogue that she could pay off in instalments and making sure that Santa didn’t deliver extravagant gifts ( like a bike or a console) and a greedy kids who asked for too much ran the risk of getting nowt. We only got toys at Xmas or birthdays so Santa was a big deal.
Now we’re in a position to get our kids the big stuff, and deliberately don’t. They wouldn’t dream of asking for a PlayStation or anything like that for Xmas.
Let alone Santa

yeah, when I was a kid people always said 'Shy bairns get nowt' but that always confused me (why would a good, sweet and humble child not get rewarded?) so now as an adult, I firmly believe and teach that 'Entitled/greedy bairns get nowt'.
Please
or

TurnUpTurnip · 07/12/2021 11:13

This is why my son stopped believing in Santa age 5 as he asked for a Magic wand and didn’t get one! It’s all well and good saying Santa only brings the stocking but I’ve never heard anyone say that till recently on MN so never knew that was a “thing” people so was a bit late to start saying that.

Please
or

Imdreamingofapeacefulxmas · 07/12/2021 11:53

Some dc ask for elephants, real size helicopter, limo and driver.
We are not sure how fc does it, he does what he can and usually bungs surprises in too.
That's it..

Please
or

LittleBirdy1 · 07/12/2021 11:57

Can you get him a smaller set of Lego from the same range? For example Lego Star Wars sets start at £10ish right up to £300, same all the other sets to.

Please
or

toughtoes · 07/12/2021 18:38

Which one someone might be able to find it on offer? have bought it ages ago and found their ungrateful offspring have gone off that now 😬

I did the Amazon Lego offers, plus they did a thing were I got extra £5 free money for loading my Amazon gift card. So things like that can help. Check John Lewis or Argos too.

Please
or

toughtoes · 07/12/2021 18:41

But yes I say Santa has a budget and if they get something big they can't get any other presents. That usually puts them off 😂 But DS is confident he is getting a console which is waaaaay over budget, hopefully on the day he'll be ok and excited by what he does get. Sadly still goes on about not getting what he wanted age 3, years of therapy ahead.

Please
or

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 08/12/2021 16:20

A couple of years ago dd1 (3) asked for a real baby - boy or girl, she wasn’t fussy. It had to be explained that FC would never bring babies or animals, because people might not look after them properly.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.