Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Kids asking for things they can’t have

Dirtystreetpie · 06/12/2021 00:10

What do you tell your kids or do when their main gift they ask for from FC, that they have been encouraged to write to him and ask for, you just cannot afford?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Whataboutlove · 06/12/2021 10:10

I have always told them it is a wish list not an order form. Santa does his best.

Please
or

DSGR · 06/12/2021 12:16

Santa does the big gift in our house but there is still a price limit! Santa also texts me to ask if the gift is appropriate

Please
or

mam0918 · 06/12/2021 12:31

I never taught my kids to write lists or ask for things and none of them do, Santa brings what he brings and they always love it.

My DS met 'Santa' yesterday at a grotto and Santa asked what he wanted, he thought for a minute then said 'a car', Santa asked 'RC car or ride in car' and DS announced 'ride in' and described it... and that right there is why I never ask because he described the bloody ride in car he already owns and never uses lol.

As a kid, we use to circle things in catalogues but we just circle random shit because we were given a pen and told to. There was no rhyme or reason or real must-have want it was just doing it because we were told to the same way my DS just grappled in his head for anything he could think of and said something he already owns lol.

My mam never bought the circled stuff... she always found WAY better stuff to buy that we didn't even know we wanted.

I'm sure you know him well enough to get him something he would love even more than that item he asked for.

Please
or

NellieBertram · 06/12/2021 12:44

Santa only brings a small stocking gift, and Christmas lists/letters are suggestions not order forms.

Please
or

MatildaIThink · 06/12/2021 12:46

When I was a child Father Christmas only brought small things/stocking gifts, everything else was from Mum and Dad. I know some people also say that even though Father Christmas brings the items they still have to pay him for them.

Please
or

megletthesecond · 06/12/2021 12:47

Father Xmas only fills stockings so I never get this problem.

Please
or

SmellyNelliey · 06/12/2021 13:11

Santa puts a stocking on end of everybody's bed filled with little bits and chocolate. Then we buy what they want from our budget (500 per child) and don't go over, if they want something which is really expensive they will save from the pocket money, birthday ect to get what they want

Please
or

LowlandLucky · 06/12/2021 13:14

Have you explained to your children is a list of what they would like and not an order, that they may get one o rtwo things form the list if they are lucky.

Please
or

MintJulia · 06/12/2021 13:33

Santa has a lot of people to buy for and that might be a bit much, but you are sure something lovely will arrive.

Everyone needs to learn that they cannot always have their first choice.

Please
or

Sightlinesandsolutions · 06/12/2021 13:34

Stocking (with small presents) from Santa, actual gifts presented with proper gift tags from named parents, relatives etc.

It's the only way to perpetuate the Santa myth in a non-harmful way. Especially if your kids are smart enough to twig that their friends got the iPad or whatever they asked for from Santa but they got given something inferior themselves.

Please
or

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 06/12/2021 13:36

Much easier to have Santa bring little things in stockings only. Maybe it could be a new rule!
Also, Santa doesn’t like greedy children who ask for expensive things - his North Pole salary doesn’t go as far as it used to, they’ve got inflation, too.

Please
or

Heidipi · 06/12/2021 13:37

We're pretty vague about what comes from Santa and what is from us - but the story is loosely that we foot most of the bill and parents/family always have a say in what he brings. So there's no point asking him for an iphone if we say you can't have one when you're 7, sorry. Grin

Please
or

livingonpurpose · 06/12/2021 13:39

@Christmas1988

My children think I have to send money to him to buy the gifts. This might be the way to go

This is what I've explained to my ds too. I send money to FC and he chooses what to buy with it. It also helps him to understand why some children get more than others.
Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 06/12/2021 13:41

Are we talking about a 10 asking for and iPhone or a 6year old asking for a reindeer or a 3 asking for a fluffalumpa giihii which isn't something actually real?

Please
or

CrumpledCrumpet · 06/12/2021 13:48

I’ve told my 4 and 8 year old that they can wish for whatever they want and write to Santa about it, but it doesnt mean Santa will bring it - if he just brought whatever you wished for them we’d all ask for “infinite chocolate” and imagine how crazy that would be. If you are lucky Santa will bring you one or two things from your list but he has to be fair to all children. If you ask for things that aren’t too wild you’re more likely to get them.

Please
or

WithASpider · 06/12/2021 13:51

Santa has a budget. Repeated often to my DC growing up!

DC now send me lists of small things so their pile looks bigger, including links/size/colour a lot of the time. DD1 (17) has asked for a bloody expensive dressing gown this year though...

Please
or

TheGirlWhoLived · 06/12/2021 13:55

Dd has written on her list
“A boyfriend if I don’t already have one”
“All the neon mega pets in some roblox game”
“To get 100% in all my sats”
“To get into the high school she put #1 and be in set 1 for all lessons”

I wish I could buy her an Xbox and be done with it!

Please
or

Angel2702 · 06/12/2021 13:57

We have always only had stockings from Father Christmas and other presents downstairs from us. They have to think of small things to ask for in their stockings. They now compete to ask for the most obscure presents from Father Christmas and makes it quite fun.

Their main gifts they ask us for and we manage expectations and steer choices if something isn’t possible.

Please
or

Plumtree391 · 06/12/2021 14:00

Don' get inio the Santa business.

Please
or

thelegohooverer · 06/12/2021 14:00

You could ask a grotto Santa to have a word, or have Santa/elves write a letter explaining that there’s been a problem at the North Pole and he won’t be able to bring that toy after all. But maybe they’d like [suitable alternative] instead. Spin it out as a little story.

Please
or

muddyford · 06/12/2021 14:02

Our family is the same as many on here. FC brings the stocking full of little presents, all the rest is from friends and family with gift tags. When I was little, finding a price tag on something in my stocking was always a bit of a giggle.

Please
or

Westfacing · 06/12/2021 14:05

@megletthesecond

Father Xmas only fills stockings so I never get this problem.

That's a nice idea, particularly for parents who don't have a lot of cash or don't want to over-indulge.

When did writing lists start - I can't remember?

I grew up in very impoverished circumstances in the 50/60s and Xmas was always sparse - but was very comfortably-off during marriage and when children growing up but they never wrote lists.

It must be crap for today's hard-up families surrounded by so much conspicuous consumption.
Please
or

Nevermakeit · 06/12/2021 14:11

@Heidipi

We're pretty vague about what comes from Santa and what is from us - but the story is loosely that we foot most of the bill and parents/family always have a say in what he brings. So there's no point asking him for an iphone if we say you can't have one when you're 7, sorry. Grin

This! When phones, playstations and the like appear on the list I make it clear I will also be writing to santa and tell him this is not appropriate and I don't agree with it...
Please
or

bnotts · 06/12/2021 14:14

As others have said Santa brings small stocking gifts. Bigger presents come from parents and even then might not be bought if we can't afford them or they aren't suitable e.g phone when 7 years old.

Please
or

equuscaballus · 06/12/2021 14:22

I say he can't do expensive things, he has to get around everyone and it wouldn't be fair to ask for something expensive when the kid next door might get a less expensive one.

Mine asked for a £1.5 MILLION supercar Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.