Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Kids asking for things they can’t have

Dirtystreetpie · 06/12/2021 00:10

What do you tell your kids or do when their main gift they ask for from FC, that they have been encouraged to write to him and ask for, you just cannot afford?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Heidipi · 06/12/2021 13:37

We're pretty vague about what comes from Santa and what is from us - but the story is loosely that we foot most of the bill and parents/family always have a say in what he brings. So there's no point asking him for an iphone if we say you can't have one when you're 7, sorry. Grin

Please
or

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 06/12/2021 13:36

Much easier to have Santa bring little things in stockings only. Maybe it could be a new rule!
Also, Santa doesn’t like greedy children who ask for expensive things - his North Pole salary doesn’t go as far as it used to, they’ve got inflation, too.

Please
or

Sightlinesandsolutions · 06/12/2021 13:34

Stocking (with small presents) from Santa, actual gifts presented with proper gift tags from named parents, relatives etc.

It's the only way to perpetuate the Santa myth in a non-harmful way. Especially if your kids are smart enough to twig that their friends got the iPad or whatever they asked for from Santa but they got given something inferior themselves.

Please
or

MintJulia · 06/12/2021 13:33

Santa has a lot of people to buy for and that might be a bit much, but you are sure something lovely will arrive.

Everyone needs to learn that they cannot always have their first choice.

Please
or

LowlandLucky · 06/12/2021 13:14

Have you explained to your children is a list of what they would like and not an order, that they may get one o rtwo things form the list if they are lucky.

Please
or

SmellyNelliey · 06/12/2021 13:11

Santa puts a stocking on end of everybody's bed filled with little bits and chocolate. Then we buy what they want from our budget (500 per child) and don't go over, if they want something which is really expensive they will save from the pocket money, birthday ect to get what they want

Please
or

megletthesecond · 06/12/2021 12:47

Father Xmas only fills stockings so I never get this problem.

Please
or

MatildaIThink · 06/12/2021 12:46

When I was a child Father Christmas only brought small things/stocking gifts, everything else was from Mum and Dad. I know some people also say that even though Father Christmas brings the items they still have to pay him for them.

Please
or

NellieBertram · 06/12/2021 12:44

Santa only brings a small stocking gift, and Christmas lists/letters are suggestions not order forms.

Please
or

mam0918 · 06/12/2021 12:31

I never taught my kids to write lists or ask for things and none of them do, Santa brings what he brings and they always love it.

My DS met 'Santa' yesterday at a grotto and Santa asked what he wanted, he thought for a minute then said 'a car', Santa asked 'RC car or ride in car' and DS announced 'ride in' and described it... and that right there is why I never ask because he described the bloody ride in car he already owns and never uses lol.

As a kid, we use to circle things in catalogues but we just circle random shit because we were given a pen and told to. There was no rhyme or reason or real must-have want it was just doing it because we were told to the same way my DS just grappled in his head for anything he could think of and said something he already owns lol.

My mam never bought the circled stuff... she always found WAY better stuff to buy that we didn't even know we wanted.

I'm sure you know him well enough to get him something he would love even more than that item he asked for.

Please
or

DSGR · 06/12/2021 12:16

Santa does the big gift in our house but there is still a price limit! Santa also texts me to ask if the gift is appropriate

Please
or

Whataboutlove · 06/12/2021 10:10

I have always told them it is a wish list not an order form. Santa does his best.

Please
or

DuploPerson · 06/12/2021 09:49

Santa always brings a stocking full of surprises in this house, anything they request comes from us.
Must have come up in conversation between smalls and cousins, because SIL texted me saying her little one(6) has only put a stocking full of surprises on her list. Grin
Perhaps you can say Santa brings stockings and anything under the tree is from you? That it's nice to write to Santa but really he just fills the stockings. Little ones really don't think much of it.

Please
or

stargirl1701 · 06/12/2021 09:04

We always said elves can only make toys. They have a traditional workshop (not a factory) and traditional materials.

And, it is against UK law for FC to bring live animals.

We wanted to keep FC gifts reasonable.

Please
or

Jumpingintochristmas · 06/12/2021 08:51

In our house Santa fills stockings and brings one small tree present, ie. a barbie doll or a rugby ball.
The DC have always written to request one small gift and surprises.

It is your job to manage expectations, a large expensive gift is not something Santa would bring. Perhaps something to save for with birthday/Christmas money or simply out of budget. I can assure you this is normal.

Please
or

UntilYourNextHairBrainedScheme · 06/12/2021 08:01

Dirtystreetpie Santa brings stockings - he just passes big present requests on to parents (and grandparents if applicable).

Telling children that a magical being can bring them anything they desire is obviously a complete recipe for upset if they believe it!

Please
or

VaguelyInteresting · 06/12/2021 07:59

The Christmas list is to give Father Christmas ideas.

Mummies and daddies and other grown ups help out by buying things too.

Father Christmas has to have the right materials and enough room in his sleigh for ALL the children to get some thing(s), so he can’t bring everything.

Mummy has a fixed and limited budget.

DS is 5, and every day there’s “oh I forgot about .....”. Some stuff is ££££££ some is pennies- but as he understands now that he’s unlikely to get everything he wants, I let him ramble on without managing his expectations too actively.

Please
or

MisgenderedSwan · 06/12/2021 07:53

Mine know their letter is a list of 'requests and suggestions' - I've always made clear that Santa has to get for everyone in the world so he doesn't have an unlimited budget and space on the sleigh. The magic is the spirit of the season - not everyone getting what they ask for. We give to the food bank etc in the run up and talk about how not everyone gets the same Christmas. I think it helps, they are grateful and happy and hopefully when they find out Santa isn't real they will understand the spirit and joy lives on. They are 9 and 7 (pretty sure the 9yo is humouring us 😂)

Please
or

Christmas1988 · 06/12/2021 07:52

My children think I have to send money to him to buy the gifts. This might be the way to go

Please
or

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 06/12/2021 07:51

This is why Father Christmas has only ever given stockings/ all larger presents are from us and if it’s too expensive it’s too expensive.

Please
or

FedUpAtHomeTroels · 06/12/2021 07:49

We told our children that Santa sends us the bill for whatever he brings so only brings things we can afford. They still asked for daft expensive stuff.
Never stopped me asking for a pony every year

Please
or

santasmuma · 06/12/2021 07:49

Mine have never made a list or asked for anything. The biggest part of our Christmas is still the surprise element and 2 of the DC are adults now. It's served me well over the years - some years I have known straight away what they would like, especially as their 'main' present, but other years I don't have much of a clue. DS got a gaming PC last year so he did know about it as I wanted his input re spec etc but aside from that they don't usually have a clue what's coming.

Please
or

User00000000 · 06/12/2021 07:44

How old are they? We have told ours that Santa does their stocking and a couple of small things, big presents come from us. Then its easier to be honest and just say it's too expensive and give them some more realistic ideas. Could you change to doing it this way?

Please
or

LakeShoreD · 06/12/2021 07:39

This is why I think it’s better to tell them that Santa does the stockings, not the big gifts under the tree. Also kids ask for all sorts of unsuitable things, in our family we’ve had requests for a real car and live zoo animals, so no they won’t be getting everything on their list.

Please
or

S2617 · 06/12/2021 07:33

Tell them no the spend time with them. Children adore time and experience more than materials.

If they are still focused on these large expensive things then show them people who have little or nothing to change their view of the world.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.