Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Kids asking for things they can’t have

Dirtystreetpie · 06/12/2021 00:10

What do you tell your kids or do when their main gift they ask for from FC, that they have been encouraged to write to him and ask for, you just cannot afford?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PrayingForChristmas · 06/12/2021 16:24

Always said in my family
‘We buy the gifts, Santa and elves make them and deliver’

Please
or

BigYellowHat · 06/12/2021 16:15

Our kids just get a strict budget which they’re told upfront. It varies year to year depending on finances. It works for us and stops the worrying about funding Christmas.

Please
or

LittleMysSister · 06/12/2021 16:15

My mum and dad always just used to say the same as many here - that something being on the list doesn't mean I will get it, and I would only get a few things from there, not all of it.

Please
or

DeepaBeesKit · 06/12/2021 16:12

I do a mix of "father christmas has to deliver to billions of children" together with "mummy and daddy have to pay the bill for what's delivered so father christmas will only ever bring something we can afford".

Luckily because DS doesnt watch any advertising on tv and has only just started school his wants are fairly manageable. He asks for things like a torch and a bag of quality street to himself Grin

Please
or

Siouxtse1 · 06/12/2021 15:56

For people that sometimes forget to remove price tags/ labels, we tell the kids that as there are so many children in the world FC and his elves no longer make all of the toys at the North Pole. Think it was 'The Works' a few years ago, that adverised that FC shopped there. We tell the kids he has sponsorship deals with certain shops- he gets the products (up to a certain value and quantity) for free because of his influencing duties.

They will hate me for lying when they find out. I was really disappointed when my parents told me...

Please
or

daisypond · 06/12/2021 15:32

I think saying Father Christmas can’t afford it, or it costs too much is a bit odd - but I suppose we all do things differently. We always make out that FC either makes stuff or magics it up. He definitely doesn’t buy anything. So, we always remove all labels and shop tags. Mum and Dad buy presents with money, but that’s not what FC does.

Please
or

2bazookas · 06/12/2021 15:21

@Dirtystreetpie

What do you tell your kids or do when their main gift they ask for from FC, that they have been encouraged to write to him and ask for, you just cannot afford?

You just tell them the truth. What they have asked for cost SO MUCH MONEY FC can't afford it.
Please
or

Mummywantsaweewee · 06/12/2021 15:11

It’s a wish list and Father Christmas doesn’t bring everything you ask for so you provide plenty of ideas for him to choose from. Not a list of demands!
I remember if I put down something ott and it didn’t appear beneath the tree I’d just think ah well was worth a cheeky ask but just thought FC thought it was a bit much.

Please
or

daisypond · 06/12/2021 15:06

Father Christmas only ever does stockings. That’s how it was when I was a child, and how it is with my DC. So, small, not expensive, gifts just to mark Christmas. Otherwise how could he fit it all in the sleigh? And he has to be fair to all children.

Please
or

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea · 06/12/2021 15:00

He only does smaller things/ stockings her which tend to involve something like 1 £10-15 lego set and little bits and bobs.

However, we've always said that the letter is to give him ideas about the sort of thing you enjoy it isn't to ask for specific things.

Please
or

Happy1982ish · 06/12/2021 14:41

I’ve not encountered it yet
But if it happens
I’ll just be honest

“No chance!”

Although it would have to be a very large sum, so I wouldn’t feel guilty and I’m pretty certain they would feel hard done by!

Please
or

cookiemonster2468 · 06/12/2021 14:30

@Dirtystreetpie

Well why have they been encouraged to write and ask him for it in the first place if you can't afford it?

I feel like you need to be a bit clearer with your kids about what Father Christmas can do, especially if you're on a budget.

If you are getting them to write a letter to Santa then you should say at that point that Santa can only bring small presents. Anything big or expensive they will have to ask you, because Santa doesn't bring big expensive presents.

If you're past that point and they've already done it, well there's gonna be some disappointment whatever you say, but basically just tell them the above, that Santa doesn't bring big gifts and that you can't afford it this year.
Please
or

equuscaballus · 06/12/2021 14:22

I say he can't do expensive things, he has to get around everyone and it wouldn't be fair to ask for something expensive when the kid next door might get a less expensive one.

Mine asked for a £1.5 MILLION supercar Grin

Please
or

bnotts · 06/12/2021 14:14

As others have said Santa brings small stocking gifts. Bigger presents come from parents and even then might not be bought if we can't afford them or they aren't suitable e.g phone when 7 years old.

Please
or

Nevermakeit · 06/12/2021 14:11

@Heidipi

We're pretty vague about what comes from Santa and what is from us - but the story is loosely that we foot most of the bill and parents/family always have a say in what he brings. So there's no point asking him for an iphone if we say you can't have one when you're 7, sorry. Grin

This! When phones, playstations and the like appear on the list I make it clear I will also be writing to santa and tell him this is not appropriate and I don't agree with it...
Please
or

Westfacing · 06/12/2021 14:05

@megletthesecond

Father Xmas only fills stockings so I never get this problem.

That's a nice idea, particularly for parents who don't have a lot of cash or don't want to over-indulge.

When did writing lists start - I can't remember?

I grew up in very impoverished circumstances in the 50/60s and Xmas was always sparse - but was very comfortably-off during marriage and when children growing up but they never wrote lists.

It must be crap for today's hard-up families surrounded by so much conspicuous consumption.
Please
or

muddyford · 06/12/2021 14:02

Our family is the same as many on here. FC brings the stocking full of little presents, all the rest is from friends and family with gift tags. When I was little, finding a price tag on something in my stocking was always a bit of a giggle.

Please
or

thelegohooverer · 06/12/2021 14:00

You could ask a grotto Santa to have a word, or have Santa/elves write a letter explaining that there’s been a problem at the North Pole and he won’t be able to bring that toy after all. But maybe they’d like [suitable alternative] instead. Spin it out as a little story.

Please
or

Plumtree391 · 06/12/2021 14:00

Don' get inio the Santa business.

Please
or

Angel2702 · 06/12/2021 13:57

We have always only had stockings from Father Christmas and other presents downstairs from us. They have to think of small things to ask for in their stockings. They now compete to ask for the most obscure presents from Father Christmas and makes it quite fun.

Their main gifts they ask us for and we manage expectations and steer choices if something isn’t possible.

Please
or

TheGirlWhoLived · 06/12/2021 13:55

Dd has written on her list
“A boyfriend if I don’t already have one”
“All the neon mega pets in some roblox game”
“To get 100% in all my sats”
“To get into the high school she put #1 and be in set 1 for all lessons”

I wish I could buy her an Xbox and be done with it!

Please
or

WithASpider · 06/12/2021 13:51

Santa has a budget. Repeated often to my DC growing up!

DC now send me lists of small things so their pile looks bigger, including links/size/colour a lot of the time. DD1 (17) has asked for a bloody expensive dressing gown this year though...

Please
or

CrumpledCrumpet · 06/12/2021 13:48

I’ve told my 4 and 8 year old that they can wish for whatever they want and write to Santa about it, but it doesnt mean Santa will bring it - if he just brought whatever you wished for them we’d all ask for “infinite chocolate” and imagine how crazy that would be. If you are lucky Santa will bring you one or two things from your list but he has to be fair to all children. If you ask for things that aren’t too wild you’re more likely to get them.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 06/12/2021 13:41

Are we talking about a 10 asking for and iPhone or a 6year old asking for a reindeer or a 3 asking for a fluffalumpa giihii which isn't something actually real?

Please
or

livingonpurpose · 06/12/2021 13:39

@Christmas1988

My children think I have to send money to him to buy the gifts. This might be the way to go

This is what I've explained to my ds too. I send money to FC and he chooses what to buy with it. It also helps him to understand why some children get more than others.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.