Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can I give my cleaner a velvetiser?

Oopsoopsoops · 05/12/2021 08:52

I’m guilty of overthinking this…

Our cleaner is amazing, reliable and has helped out with a tough year whilst I’ve had multiple operations. She has gone above and beyond, think things like pet sitting (paid) and more.

Her and her children love our hotel chocolat velvetiser and I would love to get them one for Christmas to show my/our appreciation but I’m not sure if it’s an OTT gift. I did consider getting a velvetiser dupe but I’m struggling to find the Aldi or Asda ones online (and I can’t go out to the shops because of my most recent surgery).

I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable with an ‘extravagant’ gift.

Am I overthinking this? It will bring so much joy to her and her children. I would of course give some hot chocolates too

OP's posts:
Please
or

doublemonkey · 05/12/2021 16:05

Give her the cash equivalent. Especially as the chocolate is expensive.

Please
or

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 05/12/2021 16:22

If she's hard up the Velvetiser would be a lovely bit of luxury that she'd probably never treat herself to. If you give her money, it will likely just get eaten up by usual expenses.

Go for it, OP, but buy the real deal in black!

Please
or

Lovemusic33 · 05/12/2021 16:27

@NewModelArmyMayhem18

If she's hard up the Velvetiser would be a lovely bit of luxury that she'd probably never treat herself to. If you give her money, it will likely just get eaten up by usual expenses.

Go for it, OP, but buy the real deal in black!

Agree with this, I’m pretty skint (couldn’t afford to buy the velvetiser) but would be made up if someone gifted me one.

You don’t have to use the HC powder in them as some others have said, you can even grate dairy milk into it or use other hot chocolate powders.
Please
or

MeredithGreyishblue · 05/12/2021 16:29

They don't sell one in black!
The "grey" is charcoal.
Or white
Or copper
Confused

Please
or

Lipsandlashes · 05/12/2021 16:30

Definitely buy it. It’s a lovely gesture

Please
or

UsernameInTheTown · 05/12/2021 16:32

You sound lovely OP. Buy the black one though, not grey!

Please
or

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 05/12/2021 16:32

Charcoal would work or the original copper, OP. Toss a coin for it! Don't procrastinate!

Please
or

Dozer · 05/12/2021 16:33

Cash!

Please
or

vera99 · 05/12/2021 16:34

At first glance looking at their website it looks like a crack cocaine version of making hot drinks. It's 250 calories per cup not sure I would want that temptation tormenting me on the worktop every day.

Please
or

KimikosNightmare · 05/12/2021 16:45

The only point of a "velvetiser" seems to be it melts chocolate in hot milk.

If you want to make real hot chocolate, as opposed to using cocoa powder or chocolate powder you can do that by putting hot milk in a saucepan, adding flakes or even a bar of chocolate - which takes all of 2 or 3 minutes and produces wonderfully rich hot chocolate.

Looks like a brilliant marketing campaign

Give her vouchers or cash.

Please
or

KimikosNightmare · 05/12/2021 16:47

And don't use Hotel Chocolat chocolate. It's horrible- there is plenty of far nicer chocolate available.

Please
or

MobyDicksTinyCanoe · 05/12/2021 17:03

kimikos it mixes it up as it melts it, it's nothing like using a saucepan......ive ordered myself one because my friends is so good. And im not one to part with money freely!

Please
or

Dubbin · 05/12/2021 17:14

I would definitely buy her (an original) Velvetiser, plus chocolate, if that is something you know she would love. It’s a generous and thoughtful gesture because you value her help so highly. And tell her so; it’s a great feeling when your work is appreciated!

Please
or

KimikosNightmare · 05/12/2021 17:21

@MobyDicksTinyCanoe

kimikos it mixes it up as it melts it, it's nothing like using a saucepan......ive ordered myself one because my friends is so good. And im not one to part with money freely!

The melting chocolate "mixes up " with the hot milk in a saucepan. I've been making proper hot chocolate that way for decades. It tastes exactly the same as proper hot chocolate from even the most illustrious chocolatier cafés.

The essential element is using actual good quality chocolate rather than powder or poor quality flakes. This is just clever marketing.
Please
or

Movinghouseatlast · 05/12/2021 17:23

Yes, absolutely you can! Lovely and very thoughtful.

Please
or

Gladioli23 · 05/12/2021 17:40

I think this depends how tight things are or aren't for her - if it's super tight cash probably better. But where people couldn't justify the spend themselves but aren't brassic a treat can be perfect: otherwise the money would vanish into boring things.

Please
or

tommyhoundmum · 05/12/2021 17:54

Most people are cleaners because cash is tight. Give her money and suggest the vet thingy

Please
or

cherish123 · 05/12/2021 17:59

If you can afford it, it's a really nice thing to do.

Please
or

seb342 · 05/12/2021 18:20

I think it's a lovely idea. It's always nice to get something and for someone to show how they appreciate you.

I will confess I did have to google it because I don't drink hot drinks so had no idea what it was or what it did.

Please
or

saddowizca · 05/12/2021 18:22

I would include a receipt as well - just in case she'd rather have the cash but would be too embarassed to say.

Please
or

DillDanding · 05/12/2021 18:32

Well, it’s subjective but to me it’s not an extravagant gift. Giving a cheaper version would be a bit of an insult imo.

We’re giving ours cash, which is what we always do. It’s a bit more than what the Velvetiser costs. She appreciates the cash more than a gift.

Please
or

Sn0tnose · 05/12/2021 18:36

Is there a branch near her? If so, I’d buy her the charcoal Velvetiser with a gift receipt (making sure you pay in cash). That way, you’ve given her something you think she’d really like, but you can tell her she can return it if she’d rather have the cash.

And it would be a nice touch to include some sachets but make sure she knows she can use any old powdered brand, so she doesn’t worry about paying a fortune for the HC flakes.

I wouldn’t buy her a cheaper version because it’s the Velvetiser she’s admired.

Please
or

5thnonblonde · 05/12/2021 20:23

@saddowizca

I would include a receipt as well - just in case she'd rather have the cash but would be too embarassed to say.

Yeah but would she really risk returning it. OP could cheerily ask the kids if they enjoy having one at their house now- or keep gifting her useless accessories/sachets.
Please
or

PunchedTit4ASoul · 06/12/2021 05:27

I thought this thread was going to be about a sex toy Blush

Please
or

Yogaandcocoa · 06/12/2021 05:35

OP it would be a lovely gift.

Get the genuine HC one though.

The charcoal or white would go but I got the copper one as I like the look.

I think there's a new chrome one too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.