Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can I give my cleaner a velvetiser?

Oopsoopsoops · 05/12/2021 08:52

I’m guilty of overthinking this…

Our cleaner is amazing, reliable and has helped out with a tough year whilst I’ve had multiple operations. She has gone above and beyond, think things like pet sitting (paid) and more.

Her and her children love our hotel chocolat velvetiser and I would love to get them one for Christmas to show my/our appreciation but I’m not sure if it’s an OTT gift. I did consider getting a velvetiser dupe but I’m struggling to find the Aldi or Asda ones online (and I can’t go out to the shops because of my most recent surgery).

I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable with an ‘extravagant’ gift.

Am I overthinking this? It will bring so much joy to her and her children. I would of course give some hot chocolates too

OP's posts:
Please
or

SSOYS · 05/12/2021 13:05

Lovely idea especially with some of the chocolate to go with it. However, despite what HC say, you can actually use the velvetiser with any hot choc.

Please
or

AutumnAlmanack · 05/12/2021 13:19

Please don't get the grey one! I love black and white but absolutely hate every single shade of grey. I would suggest the white one. Lovely idea and sentiment though.

Please
or

Maryann1975 · 05/12/2021 13:23

Do you know if she can afford the ongoing costs for it? We bought a coffee machine last Christmas, this Christmas our financial situation is massively different and we can’t afford to buy the pods.
I’d give her the cash, mention to her that you thought she might like a Velvetiser, but weren’t 100% sure she would appreciate it, so have left the final choice to her.
I’m sure some cleaners are in a good financial position, however, there are many that are not and the cash would be far better received than a present that is going to take up room in her kitchen and cost money to use.

Please
or

Bellafrenum · 05/12/2021 13:34

It isn't extravagant - aren't they about £90? That's really not that much considering how much she has done. I thought 2 weeks wages was standard for a cleaner anyway (if affordable for you).
Giving her the cash is a good shout so she can choose the colour and flavours.

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 05/12/2021 13:40

I’d get copper for a black kitchen.

Please
or

MobyDicksTinyCanoe · 05/12/2021 13:56

Maryann you can use any hot chocolate in them..... My friend has one. She just buys chocolate bars from aldi, grates them and mixes with any hot chocolate.

Please
or

Cissyandflora · 05/12/2021 13:59

It’s not that extravagant. Bloody hell buy it for her.

Please
or

Booksandwine80 · 05/12/2021 14:21

@AsleepOnTheTrain

Are you on the right thread? Confused

Please
or

diddl · 05/12/2021 14:27

If she's given a HC voucher though she's either got to buy from there or have the hassle of selling it.

Please
or

TractorAndHeadphones · 05/12/2021 14:31

@DarlingFell

Its a nice gift but lets get it into perspective. It’s a velvetiser not a Rolex, I don’t think she’s going to be that overwhelmed by it Confused

I'd be overwhelmed by it and I'm not a low earner. Google says it costs at least £100 and that doesn't include the pods..
Please
or

TractorAndHeadphones · 05/12/2021 14:37

@ginghamstarfish

Lovely idea but why is everyone assuming a cleaner is so hard up? Surely most cleaners do not pay tax on their cash earnings, so are better off than those in taxable jobs?

Mine have a similar hourly salary to me (I'm not a low earner!) but out of that comes insurance, cleaning products, and transport. Also presumably savings for things like holiday or sick leave once all of that is deducted there isn't a lot left, and they can't really make more as there are only so many hours in the day.

Of course there are people for whom it's just a flexible part-time job, work cash in hand for a few people etc but for a full time self employed cleaner it's not loads
Please
or

TractorAndHeadphones · 05/12/2021 14:37

Also sorry i wasnt meaning to rpeeat the same phrase in two posts.. forgot i typed the first one

Please
or

EverdeRose · 05/12/2021 14:38

Get the white one so it stands out of the countertops.

And a few sachets of chocolate so they can cracking it open and use it straight away.

Please
or

Pudmyboy · 05/12/2021 14:51

I was considering getting a velvetiser but after some Google searching I ended up getting a Lavazza milk easy, it can froth hot or cold milk and also heat milk without froth. Mumsnet had guidance on making hot chocolate in it (heat milk and choc powder on heat only cycle, tip into mug, then do a froth cycle with just milk: add to mug also) and it's bloody gorgeous!
Just wondering if this may be more versatile than a velvetiser?
Or use your instincts to get her what you think she might like best!

Please
or

Lindy2 · 05/12/2021 14:53

£100 for something that makes hot chocolate.

I'm sorry but I'd hate this and I'd hate another gadget taking up room in the kitchen when it probably only gets occasional use.

Give her cash and let her choose something herself. I imagine some of the love of your velvitiser is the excitement of it being an occasional treat when the kids are in your home.

If you do decide to give it to her don't be offended if you find it up for sale in January. To make it easier and give her some choice perhaps put the receipt in so she can exchange it if she wants to.

Please
or

Fere · 05/12/2021 14:54

Can she really afford the chocolate pouches Hotel Chocolate sells? Or can it be used with any supermarket ready chocolate?
It would be impossible on her wages to buy HC stuff I believe unless you get her yearly supply/subscription as well.

Please
or

JuicySatsuma85 · 05/12/2021 15:01

@AsleepOnTheTrain

Mm, not sure. I was a cleaner long ago, and the woman I worked for told me I should go on a safari holiday and take the children. I was a little 🙄

I get what you’re saying but…I actually pay my cleaner a lot more per hour than I earn! She could afford the safari holiday more than I could! Not everyone whose a cleaner is skint and doing the job out of desperation. Some a racking it in! Lots are in fact!
Please
or

FilledSoda · 05/12/2021 15:02

It's one thing to admire someone's else's hot choc maker but it's another thing to have it in your kitchen , taking up space and getting tortured by the kids to make hot chocolate every day .
Sorry I wouldn't appreciate it.
Get a gift receipt if you decide to do it .

Please
or

Mellowyellow222 · 05/12/2021 15:04

@AsleepOnTheTrain

Mm, not sure. I was a cleaner long ago, and the woman I worked for told me I should go on a safari holiday and take the children. I was a little 🙄

How is this relevant?
Please
or

5thnonblonde · 05/12/2021 15:12

Don’t be so tight- get her a womaniser Wink

Please
or

MonicaGellerHyphenBing · 05/12/2021 15:20

It’s a nice idea OP, you could always buy her a voucher for somewhere that sells the Velvetiser (like Amazon or John Lewis) and say you thought she might like one but ultimately she can then choose whatever she wants? Really depends on your cleaner, if she’s hard-up then cash is always appreciated but if she’s not then I think a voucher is fine.

Also for all the PPs saying to buy it in black, they don’t sell a black one. And you don’t have to use the HC chocolate, you can use literally any hot chocolate brand you want.

Please
or

vera99 · 05/12/2021 15:51

Cash bonus every time.

Please
or

coodawoodashooda · 05/12/2021 15:53

@FilledSoda

It's one thing to admire someone's else's hot choc maker but it's another thing to have it in your kitchen , taking up space and getting tortured by the kids to make hot chocolate every day .
Sorry I wouldn't appreciate it.
Get a gift receipt if you decide to do it .

Yes. I think this too.
Please
or

Bellafrenum · 05/12/2021 15:54

Another reason to give her the cash is if she likes yours so much she may well have already bought herself one or the kids one for Xmas

Please
or

allycat4 · 05/12/2021 15:57

Cash all the way.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.