Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can I give my cleaner a velvetiser?

Oopsoopsoops · 05/12/2021 08:52

I’m guilty of overthinking this…

Our cleaner is amazing, reliable and has helped out with a tough year whilst I’ve had multiple operations. She has gone above and beyond, think things like pet sitting (paid) and more.

Her and her children love our hotel chocolat velvetiser and I would love to get them one for Christmas to show my/our appreciation but I’m not sure if it’s an OTT gift. I did consider getting a velvetiser dupe but I’m struggling to find the Aldi or Asda ones online (and I can’t go out to the shops because of my most recent surgery).

I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable with an ‘extravagant’ gift.

Am I overthinking this? It will bring so much joy to her and her children. I would of course give some hot chocolates too

OP's posts:
Please
or

DarlingFell · 05/12/2021 10:57

Its a nice gift but lets get it into perspective. It’s a velvetiser not a Rolex, I don’t think she’s going to be that overwhelmed by it Confused

Please
or

HestersSamplerofCarrots · 05/12/2021 11:00

Make sure you give her plenty of flakes too

Please
or

starsparkle08 · 05/12/2021 11:03

I think it’s a really lovely thought , I would buy the velvetiser . As another poster has said if you gave money she likely wouldn’t treat herself .
If you can afford to buy some of the chocolate mix to go with it I would that way she can use it straight away on Christmas Day If she wishes

Please
or

LuluBlakey1 · 05/12/2021 11:04

Copper!

It's a lovely treat present she probably would not buy for herself and is one the children can enjoy too.

I would buy her a few packets of the chocolate flakes too.

And send a note saying it's a thank you for everything she has done to support you this year.

Please
or

Fairyliz · 05/12/2021 11:09

I wouldn’t. My friend has one and whilst it’s lovely having one as an occasional treat at her house I wouldn’t want one as a regular thing, so it would just end up taking space in my kitchen.
Then isn’t the chocolate very expensive? So you are pressuring her into future expense. Just give a nice box of chocolates and the money.

Please
or

notacooldad · 05/12/2021 11:13

It's a lovely treat present she probably would not buy for herself and is one the children can enjoy too
Why would she probably not buy one?🤔
Even if someone did t want to pay full price for one they are selling HC ones still in the box for 40 quid on fb market place in my area. I suspect they will become a bit of a dust collector for many people.

Please
or

Icewiththat · 05/12/2021 11:21

A lovely idea but realistically how much are they going to use it? And then the expense of the chocolate flakes?
She might appreciate vouchers for somewhere with a selection of items (within the velvetiser budget) or a cash bonus? Or vouchers for an attraction near you? That way she can treat the children as she wants.
I know that’s what my lovely cleaning lady would prefer.

Please
or

CrumpledCrumpet · 05/12/2021 11:28

Do you know much about her financial situation?

If she’s struggling financially I would give her a generous cash gift. She might she be counting on some cash gifts from clients. And a velvetiser has on-going costs, so it’s assuming she has the financial means to keep paying for the chocolate

If she’s more comfortable I think the velvetiser would be a lovely gift.

Please
or

Drivingish · 05/12/2021 11:36

I would definitely go for the hotel Chocolat voucher idea and explain in the card you thought she'd like a velvetiser but thought she'd want to choose. Then she can either get it herself (might be on sale after Christmas and she can get more for the money), get something else from there or, if she really would prefer the money, a voucher will sell for closer to the face value than the velvetiser will.

Please
or

Allsorts1 · 05/12/2021 11:37

It’s a lovely idea and not too much however I would stick to giving her a cash Christmas bonus as that’s what she’ll need and want the most. If you usually give her a cash bonus and can afford both, so the bonus and then a gift that you chose, then that’s fine - but I don’t think using Christmas bonus money for an employee to buy them something is fair.

Please
or

Cici22 · 05/12/2021 11:41

This is possibly the nicest post ever on here. I would get it for her and some pods and treat her, saying there is no way I can ever truly thank you for being by my side. What a kind gift xxxx

Please
or

UndertheCedartree · 05/12/2021 11:43

I think it sounds a lovely gift. I'm sure she would be incredibly grateful Xmas Smile

Please
or

JustLikea · 05/12/2021 11:49

Tin of Quality street and a cash 💰 bonus would probably be more useful and preferable in all honesty

Please
or

diddl · 05/12/2021 11:57

Has she actually said at all that she would like one?

There's lots of things that other people have that I like but that doesn't mean I want one!

If I did mention that I liked a HC velvetiser I also wouldn't be offended if someone bought me a cheaper one.

On the whole I'd probably rather the money to buy what I want!

Please
or

Beautiful3 · 05/12/2021 12:09

What a lovely idea. You know she likes them, so why not. Include a bag of chocolate for it too. Otherwise her kids will be disappointed to not use it straight away! I'm thinking of getting one too. Can I ask which chocolate you buy for it? I've looked and there's too many to choose from, on their website!

Please
or

SapatSea · 05/12/2021 12:13

Perhaps she'd prefer £100 in cash as a bonus/gift. Then she can choose what treat she would like for her family.

Please
or

Mummainwonderland · 05/12/2021 12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Mummainwonderland · 05/12/2021 12:19

Ffs this was meant for another post! Xmas Blush

Please
or

Thatldo · 05/12/2021 12:25

I think it is a lovely gift for your cleaner and you will show your gratitude for all the work she has done for you.I have been a cleaner in the past and it was so nice when people actually appreciate the work I did,sometimes it was just a hearfelt thank you and that was fine too of course.

Please
or

SandPerson · 05/12/2021 12:33

I wouldnt
I have been in the same position plenty of times, and i love when customers buy things, i am very grateful
But when they spend large amounts on things like this, perfume, and other things i always think that the cash would of been much more beneficial

Plus, loving a hot chocolate as a treat is one thing, but having one of those is completely different
Fiddly to clean, the pods cost alot, hot chocolate is fattening and she and her children maybe treat it ‘as a treat’ for that reason
Nowhere to store it

I think theres more against than for

BUT if your going to get it, Dont get Grey, get black.

Please
or

ginghamstarfish · 05/12/2021 12:36

Lovely idea but why is everyone assuming a cleaner is so hard up? Surely most cleaners do not pay tax on their cash earnings, so are better off than those in taxable jobs?

Please
or

CrumpledCrumpet · 05/12/2021 12:42

@Drivingish

I would definitely go for the hotel Chocolat voucher idea and explain in the card you thought she'd like a velvetiser but thought she'd want to choose. Then she can either get it herself (might be on sale after Christmas and she can get more for the money), get something else from there or, if she really would prefer the money, a voucher will sell for closer to the face value than the velvetiser will.

If you’re wavering, I think this is the best thing to do. The thought is still there, but if she doesn’t want one, she’s not stuck with an expensive gift that will cost money to use.

She can spend a voucher on gifts for family/friends or sell it on at close to face value, should she choose - all with no awkwardness.
Please
or

loveliesbleeding1 · 05/12/2021 12:47

Honestly ,give the cash/bank transfer equivalent.If she wants to buy one it’s up to her.If not she can use it for something else she likes.

Please
or

GiltEdges · 05/12/2021 12:50

Buy the velvetiser. In black.

Please
or

PoleFairy · 05/12/2021 12:59

I love mine and use it all the time! It's only small so easy to store and it's so easy to clean, you just put water and a squirt of washing up liquid in it and turn it on. Theres so many amazing flavours and they arent too expensive with regular 2 for X offers plus you can break up normal choc and put that in too. Get it!

I love chocolate orange, peanut butter, salted caramel and dark mint

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.