Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gift for lady in her early 60s

BringBackThinEyebrows · 04/12/2021 14:18

I'd love some ideas on what to buy for a woman in her early 60s. Budget is £100. She prefers staying in since lockdown rather than events or experiences, so maybe something she can use at home. Some info:

-Already has loads of beauty products and knows exactly what she likes
-Has a dog and loves country walks
-Has a tablet she enjoys using
-Likes stuff in National Trust shops
-Enjoys crafts but has tried to declutter her craft supplies this year
-Enjoys reading fiction (especially crime fiction)
-Likes clothes but doesn't treat herself to new clothes often
-Already has all the kitchen gadgets e.g. velvetiser

Any suggestions welcome Smile Especially if you're a similar age and know what you want.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MostUseful · 07/12/2021 09:06

This thread proves, even if a similar age we are all so different. And as some pp's have pointed out I would be embarrassed if someone I'd tried to help out reciprocated with an expensive present.
So, maybe a thank you card and a nice bunch of flowers or better still, have lunch together, your treat.

Please
or

AtlasPine · 07/12/2021 13:05

@MostUseful

This thread proves, even if a similar age we are all so different. And as some pp's have pointed out I would be embarrassed if someone I'd tried to help out reciprocated with an expensive present.
So, maybe a thank you card and a nice bunch of flowers or better still, have lunch together, your treat.

Absolutely this. I would welcome a jigsaw because it would mean the person knew me enough to know I like them. Other women my age would be horrified at this. I would find it difficult if you gave me jewellery or perfume, neither of which I favour. Some other women might love this. It’s the thought which illustrates you listen and know your recipient rather than the value.
Please
or

tearinghairout · 07/12/2021 22:34

I think the point about spending a lot of money is a good one. £100 is a lot to spend on anyone who's not immediate family, surely? She might or might not want to go for lunch with you, but with the nice bowl of fragrant hyacinths and sincere thank-you, you can't go wrong, really.

Please
or

Shehasadiamondinthesky · 08/12/2021 00:32

I want someone to get me a diptique solid perfume, so pretty and lovely scent. I got two for someone my age (60), from space NK, they are good at delivering on time.

Please
or

funandfrolics04 · 08/12/2021 06:27

My mum is her her 60s too and very much lost her confidence since the pandemic.

I am getting her an online course floristry for Christmas, as she loves arts and crafts from www.inbloomandco.com

I think the floristry course is above budget, but I've seen they do a gardening course too.

I thought it would be nice for her to learn a new hobby and hopefully build her confidence back up from there

Good luck and please do let me know what you go for as it's my mums birthday in Feb too! Xxx

Please
or

slobberydog · 08/12/2021 10:16

@tearinghairout

I think the point about spending a lot of money is a good one. £100 is a lot to spend on anyone who's not immediate family, surely? She might or might not want to go for lunch with you, but with the nice bowl of fragrant hyacinths and sincere thank-you, you can't go wrong, really.

Op has explained that her friend has gone above and beyond for her, financially and time wise and is an all round lovely human. And she can afford it. So why not?
Please
or

evilharpy · 08/12/2021 13:19

My MIL is 70 but still likes the same things she did at 60. She would love £100 worth of anything from Molton Brown. Or cashmere bed socks from White Company. Or nice gloves from somewhere like Brora but not fingerless ones. She definitely would not like wellies or a shawl.

Please
or

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 08/12/2021 19:04

@tearinghairout

Did you read the OP?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.